I Just Bought … (Non-SW Shopping Diary)

Worth watching if for no other reason than Peter Finch’s tirade. Great film and great cast.

1 Like

Just ordered:

I’ve been organising my list of my favourite movies from the 70s so I thought I’d pick up a few well-received pictures I’ve never seen.

Have any of you fine gentlemen seen The Last Picture Show (Bogdanovich, 1971)? Any good? Worth checking out?

4 Likes

Yes, yes and yes … a brilliant movie - you’re in for a treat. It’s very low key and atmospheric … and still holds up after numerous watches.

3 Likes

Hm. I’m both glad to hear this (since I’ll definitely get to it eventually, purely off of this strong recommendation from a source I respect) and slightly dismayed; I was umming and aahing between ordering either The Last Picture Show or Marathon Man and I went with the latter (I’m buying those HMV Premium Collection blus in pairs because they’re 2 for £15 right now). And I’m definitely out of cash for blu-rays for the moment. I’ve got to put £100 by next week for the Daimajin and Vengeance Trails sets due out the following week, it’s my wedding anniversary the following week, I have to pay for a pair of jeans I bought on the never-never the week after that, I need to save some spending money for a short break we’ve booked for September when I also have to have money ready for some 88Films preorders. And sooner or later I’ll have to start paying for my new phone which I want to get out of the way before Christmas which just got tighter because of that Shaw Brothers Arrow set.

I’m going to have to go on the game again. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:rofl: You got to do what you got to do.

2 Likes

Last time I went on the game I made £13.05p. My wife looked at my earnings and said, “Who gave you the bloody 5p?”

“They all did,” said I.

:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’d be more than happy to have all those 70s movies you chose, in my collection - Have them on DVD, and ‘All the Presidents Men’ on 16mm (No working projector at the moment) I find browsing HMV a bit daunting, as there’s so many titles I’d love to own, but just can’t decide which to pick … so I’ve actually walked out with nothing on more than one visit … the stress of choosing a classic movie or a cult guilty pleasure is some times too much :wink:

2 Likes

This film is simply top-notch. I Watched it again recently…
Just as relevant today, as when it was made…only much more so in our present day…

2 Likes

[quote=“last.caress, post:3951, topic:496”]
I’ve got to put £100 by next week for the Daimajin and Vengeance Trails sets due out the following week. [/quote]

Oh blimmin’ 'eck Asa… yeah I forgot those… :+1: They will be worth it, though… :grinning:

1 Like

My feelings exactly

1 Like

In the same league as ‘The French Connection’??

Aka Anna: The Pleasure, the Torment. Giuliano Carnimeo’s crime flick starring Edwige Fenech. :heart_eyes: Picked it up used and cheap.

1 Like

Anything with Edwige Fenech is worth watching… :+1:

So Gorgeous!

1 Like

Absolutely! I will watch anything that has her, Rosalba Neri, or Barbara Bouchet in it and especially any movie that pairs any of the three together.

Too bad that, to the best of my knowledge, Edwige only ever appeared in one western - Heads or Tails aka Tails You Lose. Her appearance in the unedited version of that movie though is quite memorable.

1 Like

Well, The Last Picture Show is obviously a very different kind of film to The French Connection and I love them both but, yes, if I could only own one I’d opt for Picture Show.

3 Likes

HMV Discount + Extra Arrow sale pickups:

7 Likes

From Bruce to Bouchet - great purchase!

2 Likes

Some great gialli right there.

2 Likes

Battle Royal

Great film. I’ve only seen it once, but it’s left a bigger impact on me than a lot of films I’ve seen multiple times.

Roger Ebert’s site had an excellent video on it as well. (FYI it contains spoilers if anyone hadn’t seen it)

1 Like

5 Likes