I Just Bought … (Non-SW Shopping Diary)

’THE MAN WHO LAUGHS’ (1928)

Being a fan of silent cinema, I’ve pre-ordered this classic, from ‘Amazon’, which is due on August 17th.
The film stars Conrad Veidt, (‘The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari’); and Mary Philbin (‘Phantom of the Opera’).

3 Likes

I wonder which super villain this chap inspired? :thinking:

I got the Flicker Alley blu-ray of that last year. Looks amazing.

1 Like

Conrad Veidt’s make up for this film, as well as Lon Chaney Sr.'s Phantom of the Opera make up, are rated as still some of the most frightening images on film, even after 90+ years.

2 Likes

Just ordered:

1 Like

Be interested, LC, to know what your views are on the film. From what I’ve seen in in the trailer, it looks pretty good. Then again, Willem Dafoe is good in just about anything…

Dafoe was amazing as Max Schreck. Gave me nightmares. :scream:

1 Like

Et voila :slightly_smiling_face::

2 Likes

Cheers, LC…a great review, on your part, of ‘The Lighthouse’. It certainly puts me in the mood for checking it out. Thanks :smiley:

Pre-ordered (due out variously between July and September):

2 Likes

22236_large

1 Like

Clint had such a cool look in this one.

1 Like

New blu-ray:

New blu-rays:

Upgrade from DVD to blu-ray:

Didnt rate The Cloverfield Paradox when I first saw it but I caught it late one night last week on Netflix (I think) and, whilst it was still a bit rubbish, it was a lot more palatable in the middle of the night. I’d found its home, a bit like the time I saw Land of the Dead in the small hours and enjoyed it way more than I had the first time I saw it.

1 Like

How is Frogs? I’m curious about it.

If you like ‘creature features’, then I’m pretty sure you will like ‘Frogs’.

I’ve never seen it. It’s a blind purchase for me. Looks like it might be my sort of thing though. General consensus seems to be that it’s a fat pile of crap, but hopefully in a good way. :slightly_smiling_face:

So looking forward to re-watching the ‘saga’…most especially the original ‘Star Wars: A New Hope’, which blew me away when I first beheld it, in awe, on the big screen, in 1977…
In my humble opinion, the original trilogy is - by far - the best.

I watched ‘Rogue One’ on ITV, last week-end, and thought that it was worthy of a Blu-ray purchase…a vast improvement on 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens"…
Added bonus: Great to see Donnie Yen kicking ass once again…

1 Like

I agree that the original trilogy is the best. I also think that ROGUE ONE is the proper prequel to it. Forgetting the prequel trilogy.

1 Like