I Just Bought … (Non-SW Shopping Diary)

Just ordered:

New blu-ray:

New(ish) DVD:

I had Shogun Assassin years and years ago but didn’t think all that much of it and ditched it. I’m wondering though if my tastes might’ve moved closer to that sort of direction over the years and, seeing it on a second-hand market today for 50 splendid pence, I thought I’d give it another go. I can always bin it again.

Blimmin 'eck, L.C., what is it with the ‘Pirates 4: On Stranger Tides’! This was released yonks ago!

I thought you liked to keep up to date with everything! :wink:

Tbh I wasn’t planning on buying that one anytime soon. I mean they’re mindless fluff, aren’t they? Nice looking on blu-ray and a bit of background noise for when the nephews and niece come to rip the house apart but although I quite enjoyed the first two movies I wasn’t especially taken with the third and I was only going to pick up On Stranger Tides if, say, I needed a fifth disc in a “5 blu-rays for £30” type of deal or something. But then I saw it on a second-hand market stall for £2 and thought, well, for two quid I might as well grab it.

Yeah, right! Excuses, excuses!! :wink:
What happens when the next blimmin’ ‘Caribbean’ instalment comes along?

Personally, I’d say stuff it. I’m looking forward to gigantic apes, a war between apes, and lots of inter-galactic confrontations in the ‘Galaxy’.!:wink:

Oh, I doubt I’ll be catching up on the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (or, as they’ll be calling it here in the UK, Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar’s Revenge) until I pick it up cheap at a boot fair somewhere, in five or six years’ time. :slight_smile:

Why a DVD though? I thought u were firmly in the HD camp by now, companero

Oh, I’ll still pick up a DVD from time to time. Opportunity, availability, desire and price often come into play. In the instance above, the DVD just happened to be there on a market stall for 50p (approx. €0.58c). In the last 12 months I’ve bought 10 TV series box-sets on DVD and 18 films. In the case of the TV box sets they’re either continuations of collections I’ve already started on DVD (King of the Hill, Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory) or they’re difficult buggers to get on blu-ray (Ghost in the Shell SAC). With the films it’s either a case of price and opportunity forcing an impulse purchase of something I mightn’t otherwise have bothered with (Under the Shadow and The Timber were both available in my supermarket for less than £3 each so I grabbed them) or, again, the added grief in acquiring the blu-ray (the Godzilla movies for instance; all available on Region A, very few available on Region B/Region free).

Ive still got almost twice as many DVDs as blus but the vast majority of my purchases are on blu-ray now. 151 films and 9 TV show box sets (6 of which were complete series sets) all purchased on blu-ray over the last 12 months.

(a little over half of) My DVDs:

(almost all of) My blu-rays:

4 Likes

Nice seeing someone elses collection. You are running out of space though it seems but I take it that more shelves can be built on top of those you have? I cannot live without floor to roof bookcases personally :slight_smile: Not an inch wasted either vertically or horizontally.

I am running out of room, yes. I can’t go higher on the blus since they’re under a window which runs the length of our living room. I could double up the height on the DVDS - in fact I had it that way for awhile - and I may do so again but my thoughts these days lean towards ways in which I can pare the DVDs down. Ripping the discs onto a storage hard drive plugged into the telly, maybe? Throwing away all the covers and keeping the discs in a book? Boxing up the lesser-viewed titles, keeping them under the stairs/in the loft? Hmm. Anyway, I’ve room for maybe another 10 shelves as they are right now at low height. So that’s roughly another 400 films before I have to really make a decision.

I might even go “Dead Man’s Shoes” at that point, and start throwing out a title for every new one I buy, so I’ll never own more than 2200 titles or so (I’ve got a shade under 1800 presently) but the titles I have will always reflect my cinematic/televisual tastes at that time. It would certainly force me to become more discerning, which I guess is no bad thing. As I say though, these are decisions for another day. :slight_smile:

I have nightmares wondering where I will place the next batch of releases so I know what you’re going through.

You could also elect to brick up the windows and go full height on those bookcases :slight_smile: Daylight is pretty overrated anyways.

2 Likes

A bunch has turned up the last couple of days:

Wild Beasts
The Internecine Project
Invasion of the Bee Girls
Witchboard
Psycho Circus Triple Feature
The Bubble
Gog
The Mask 3-D
September Storm 3-D
The Majorettes
The Survivor
Wishmaster Collection
The Gate
Female Vampire
Dr. Orlof’s Monster

Pre-ordered (31st July 2017):

New blu-rays:

Upgrades from DVD to blu-ray:

New blu-ray:

Upgrade from DVD to blu-ray:

Finally I’m able to see Endless Poetry. I missed all the theatrical screenings here and I even funded the film with little sum so I got the link for vimeo but that version didn’t have subtitles so I’ve waited for better version. I bought Love Witch just because of some stills I saw one day. Good looking technicolor look and the girl is stunning.

A package from amazon.co.uk turned up today:

Cat People
In a Lonely Place
Satan’s Blood
Experiment in Terror

I have that Cat People blu-ray, the quality is beautiful.

Sounds promising :slight_smile:

Actually these are my first two Criterion releases believe it or not.

I haven’t seen this, but up where my sister lives their are quite a number of the “criterion” collection available at the local Barnes and noble.