I Just Bought … (Non-SW Shopping Diary)

Amazon.co.uk (GBP 32.66)

Zavvi.com (EUR 7.13 + EUR 9.17)

Zavvi.com (EUR 9.17)

I’ve had my eye on @AvatarDK’s Willie Dynamite (oo-er, missus!) for awhile now,. It would be a blind purchase but it looks like a movie I might enjoy. I fancy that Krzystof Kieślowski blu of @djvaso’s, too. I haven’t watched Dekalog in a long time but I love it.

I have to admit that most of my movie purchases are blind buys :slight_smile: What is the fun in purchasing a movie you’ve seen a dozen times already? It’s always nice upgrading of course. I do that myself a lot but when I browse the shelves for what to watch tonight I have a tendency to pick a movie I’ve never seen before and often never heard of before someone put it on blu-ray :slight_smile:

Ha, well, there’s a truth to that. I’d certainly agree that if I’ve seen a movie more than, say, two or three times and I still don’t own it then I’m probably never going to, the occasional slipped-through-the-net exception notwithstanding. But I used to buy blind all the time , only to ditch most of them six months later, or a year later or whatever. I bought Withnail & I without having previously seen it, and I still hadn’t got around to it when I upgraded it to blu-ray, and when I finally saw it I thought it was utter rubbish. Same with the Stieg Larsson “Millennium” films (not that I thought they were rubbish - they were good, just not for me - but that I bought them blind twice over before ditching them).

I still make blind purchases - I bought Savage Pampas a couple of weeks ago; I bought Massacre Gun nine or ten months ago, still haven’t seen it - but I do it far less than I used to. I tend now to give things at least a look first, for the most part. A lot of it comes down to expense, too. I’ll commit funds to my movie collection if I know the money’s going to something I want but I couldn’t afford to maintain a collection of films I may not watch again, or even like. Not to the degree I used to do it, certainly.

Plus, I’ve a nagging suspicion that storage space is going to become a serious concern within maybe another year, unless I cull a significant portion of my DVDS. So that’s keeping me slightly more selective now, too. Still, if I like a movie I have to own it. Just knowing that I can probably stream it/download it - legally via Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc. or otherwise - isn’t enough. I need the officially licensed physical media. F*ck knows what I’ll do once physical media is finally abandoned entirely in favour of streaming channels and digital downloads only. Give up collecting altogether, I suspect; wall myself, a blu-ray player and a monitor up into an igloo made out of my existing discs, maybe. :grinning:

1 Like

These are all valid points of course. But why you would think that such a thing as common sense has any validity in the psyche of a collector is beyond me :slight_smile:

I am not so much worried that I won’t be able to rewatch every single movie I’ve bought, I’m more worried that I won’t get to watch them at all. Sometimes I manage to buy a movie without even getting to the point of removing the shrink-wrap before a better edition has arrived which then have to be bought :slight_smile:

About physical media, I’m pretty sure they will be to found many years from now. This is the age of streaming for sure but on the other hand I doubt if there has ever been as many movies released on dvd/blu-ray as there is today. They are coming in a steady stream, especially the ones I’m interested in which are the ‘older’ movies, mostly stuff from before 1990 but I do pick up the occasionaly newer movie.

By the way the Millenium films are mostly shit :slight_smile: The first one was ok, a proper thriller, the other two are a waste of time. Haven’t seen the remake and haven’t read the books.

1 Like

They’re shown pretty often in tv here in Finland. I’m not sure if I have ever seen them all completely but I have to admit I like to glance them through just for Noomi Rapace’s nude scenes. :smiley:

Check it out first, -search Exodus it’s there-.

1 Like

Yeah, its hard to keep up with the Italian and exploitation releases these days, just so many.

I have been meaning to buy ‘Texas Rising’ for a while…it seems even more appropriate now, with the untimely passing of the great Bill Paxton…

Also bought:

1 Like

I forgot all about Texas Rising. I meant to watch it back when it was on, but it kind-of slipped through the net and then slipped my mind altogether. I’ve put it on my Amazon wish list now; that’ll be a blind purchase I can make with confidence, I reckon. :slight_smile:

I will go so far as to say that it’s impossible actually :slight_smile:

Unless you limit yourself and say, no I refuse to buy anything not within my blu-ray region (be it A or B), or only buy within certain specific genres (only 80s slasher-movies for me for example). When you want a taste of everything it’s impossible.

Asa, ‘Texas Rising’ is presently on ‘Amazon.UK’ for £11.99, reduced from the original £14.99, so now is probably the best time to buy it. ‘Amazon’ have a habit of reducing an item one day, and then putting it back to the original price the next.
Hope this helps.:slight_smile:

Just bought:

‘Lizard in a Woman’s Skin’ (Lucio Fulci), combination Blu-ray, DVD, and Ennio Morricone soundtrack.

also: ‘Mill of the Stone Women’ Blu-Ray.

Just ordered:

‘MAD MAX FURY ROAD’ Black & Chrome edition Bluray.

Asa, I’ve been tinkering with the idea of getting this B&W presentation of the film. From what I’ve read about it, it presents a whole new viewing experience, compared to the colour version. Please let me know what you think of it…

So far, I’ve only seen it in colour, having bought it last year and watched it on Christmas Eve. I loved every second of the high-octane fuelled experience…

Here’s the set that I bought, from ‘Amazon.Germany’:

1 Like

A couple of blu-rays arrived today:

The Sect
The Church

Die Engel von St. Pauli (Edition Deutsche Vita)

A couple more I obviously couldn’t live without:

Expresso Bongo
Black Magic
Five Element Ninjas
Body Double

I’m watching it now and the detail is stunning. Every vehicle looks better with this new monochrome timing. And the desert looks far more remote.

Obviously the true picture clarity is limited here by my tablet camera but you get the idea.

The night scenes have been blue-tinged:

Cheers, Asa.

Many thanks for the photo comparisons. I think I’ll take the plunge, and get this version in the near future.

New blu-ray: