I Just Bought … (Non-SW Shopping Diary)

‘TILL DEATH US DO PART’ - ‘Network’ dvd release, full series.

Recently released, this set is a must-buy for anyone who remembers the bigoted character of Alf Garnett, excellently portrayed by the late, great, Warren Mitchell.

I watched a few episodes on you-tube last year, and was hooked again. I’d forgotten how brilliantly written, and superlatively acted by Warren, Dandy Nicholls, Una Stubbs, and Anthony Booth, this classic sitcom is.
The scripts, by Johnny Speight, are a delight…but are not for the easily offended, in this P.C. (‘Political Crap’) Country.

‘Network’ has done a cracking job of releasing every series; and for the unfortunate episodes ‘wiped’ by the BBC, Network has provided the .missing casualties with audio only, which can either be listened to on your computer, or on an ordinary CD player.

I’m looking forward to these…“Blimmin’ marvellous, ain’t it!”

And now for something completely different. A bucket of sleaze:

I Drink Your Blood including. “Horror Hypo” :slight_smile:

and a bunch of Code Red-titles:

1 Like

And a couple more today:

I like the look of that Donnie Darko Arrow blu myself. Very high on my own post-Christmas purchase hit-list, for sure.

Yep, it’s a massive release. If you want it you better move fast though. Went OOP from Arrow just before release date and also not available from Amazon themselves anymore. I was also planning to pick this up later until I got the notice from Arrow that this was nearly sold out.

It’s definitely still in stock with Amazon UK but, even though I’m now concerned about missing out, there’s literally nothing I can do about it until after Christmas now; or at least until after our final food shopping trip on Friday. The wife would slaughter me if we had to put a cheeseboard or cold meat platter back just because I’d spunked £30 on an old Jake Gyllenhaal movie - a copy of which I already have on an earlier blu-ray release of course - five days before Christmas.

I’m itching to buy it now, though. Fuck the cheeseboard! :smile:

Only from third-party sellers though, not from amazon themselves and as said sold out from Arrow so no new stock will (probably) appear. But I can see that zavvi still has it. They, like most other ‘British’ online sellers are a customs hazard to Danes though so avoid using them for anything costing over £8 :slight_smile:

Either way, it was just a heads-up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking at it further, it appears that there’s a blu-ray-only version being released on 09/01/17. As far as I can see going from the product descriptions, the only difference between this as-yet-unreleased presentation and the current box seems to be the inclusion in the box of a DVD copy of the film, so I might even go for that release instead since I’m not bothered about having a DVD copy tbh. IIRC Arrow did similar last year with the Hellraiser trilogy, inasmuch as they released a sexy box-set presentation a couple of months before Christmas (I think you got that set didn’t you, mate? The “Scarlet Box” or similar?) and then re-released the discs in a more standard set after Christmas. I missed out on the sexier release that time, too! :smile:

There is quite a bit more in the limited box though. Much as with the Scarlet Box, which I got as you surmised :slight_smile: There is a book about the movie, a poster and some postcard-thingies. Somebody tore it apart here:

If you are only after the movie though the barebones-release is of course just as good (and definitely cheaper especially if you can hang out long enough awaiting it coming up on sale) but damn I like me reading material alongside my movies so I had to have this one :slight_smile:

Just ordered:

(In the end, I wanted that book too :slight_smile:)

LOL. Of course you did :slight_smile: Why settle for a barebones release when you don’t have to :slight_smile:

Never thought i’d see these Cirio Santiago movies get proper releases (I know they came out on Blu-ray from Code Red last year). All these released by Scorpion Releasing plus Stryker from Kino (I guess they’re all from Kino)

1 Like

Kupujemprodajem.com

Just ordered:

1 Like

Some good choices there…

The Lady Snowblood double bill is particularly stylish and bloody, well worth a few viewings…

As for the ‘Blacula’ vampire double bill…a great example of the ‘Blaxploitation’ genre. I’ve seen both ‘Blacula’ films twice each, and was thoroughly entertained. They feature a great performance from renowned actor, William Marshall, as the feared Count.

By the way, ‘Arrow’ recently released the ‘Count Yorga’ vampire double bill, starring Robert Quarry, which is also worth getting, if you like your vampire fangs served up ‘extra cheesy’.

Happy viewing…

Got the following three Retromedia blu-rays:

And to illustrate the dangers of buying something from outside the EU when you live in Denmark, this one:

that cost $17 initially ended up costing $44 after the Danish customs had been paid. Yipee.

I’ve a strange relationship with the Yorga films. I saw The Return of Count Yorga on telly when I must’ve been no more than seven or eight years old and it terrified/fascinated me. It surely must have been my first taste of Vampire horror (and of any horror whatsoever, in all likelihood). I never saw it again and indeed didn’t hear of it for decades. It was only maybe five or six years ago that I found out that, far from being the gruelling terror it was in my mind for so long, The Return of Count Yorga is in fact a fondly remembered slice of camp nonsense, which has left me strangely reluctant to revisit it. I pre-ordered the Yorga double-bill back when Amazon first listed it, but then I cancelled the pre-order. I’ll watch them one day, undoubtedly.

As to my orders, they arrived yesterday and I watched Blacula last night. I thought I’d seen it before but it would appear that I hadn’t. Dunno what movie I could’ve been thinking of, then… the sequel? Maybe, but I’m saving that one for a possible Pam Grier-a-thon, maybe next weekend or the weekend after. Anyway, Blacula: Not too bad at all, and quite a bit more serious than the hokey title implies.

I have paid two customs bills just this week and 6 or 7 last year. Danish customs has upped their activities this last year but what they pick up seems random. I’ve had massive packages go right through and then suddenly a slim envelope like the above gets picked up. The customs limit in Denmark is 10 euro by the way :frowning:

Quite right. With a title like ‘Blacula’, I was not sure what to expect when I first watched it; but, like yourself, I’ve enjoyed it well enough for two viewings so far. All I’d ever known of the ‘Blacula’ films was seeing a few photos in Horror books, that I’d kept as a child.

As for ‘Yorga’…I watched ‘Return of Count Yorga’ first, as I’d heard it wasn’t as good as the first film. I am a firm believer in watching the less well though of first, and then watching the better film.
‘Return of Count Yorga’, I thought, was campy enough fun, but nothing particularly special.
The original ‘Count Yorga, Vampire’, was a lot better than the sequel, and will definitely be worth a few re-visits in the future. There was definitely more atmosphere to this one.

As a sidenote: Robert Quarry, who played 'Count Yorga, was also in ‘Dr. Phibes Rises Again’, alongside Vincent Price.
I understand that Vincent and Quarry did not meet eye to eye on the set, and that Vincent Price was of the opinion that Robert Quarry was attempting to usurp him as ‘terror legend’…
Vincent needn’t have worried…no-one could ever replace him…

Just ordered: