I Just Bought … (Non-SW Shopping Diary)

Me too, I go on a real binge for this genre or that. Kaiju pics are my flavour of the month right now, as it happens. I’ve plowed through most of the Gojira pics and learned which ones are “showa” period, which are “Heisei” period, which are “Millennium”, and I guess most pertinently which are the good ones (to my taste) and which aren’t. I’m still feeling my way through the non-Gojira stuff, though. I came across this list only a few days ago, it’s been quite useful though:

I had a brief flirtation with Godzilla and co a few years ago but found the so-bad-it’s-good cheese a bit ripe in large portions, but I think I was concentrating a bit too much on the Showa period films of the sixties/seventies, applying the instinctive Bond/spag/Elvis logic that earlier is mostly better, right? Well, not necessarily in this instance, it seems.

Anyway, if you’re feeling particularly monster-ish, grab yourself some of this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gamera-Trilogy-Blu-ray-US-Import/dp/B005ENCIWG/&tag=spaghetti-21

Three of the best non-Gojira Kaiju pics you’ll find in my humble and novice opinion, presented in surprisingly good quality - with extras - on two blu-ray discs, from the good folk at Mill Creek. It states that it’s Region A on the box, but it’s definitely not. At less than ten pounds (£) presently, you really can’t go wrong.

I think that many fuckawful bigfoot movies in one set might cause me to go on a Berserker rampage of my own. I love the bigfoot genre and I hate it, too. My desire to see a decent bigfoot pic has sent me headfirst into some of the most worthless load of auld bumwank I’ve ever sat through, over and over. I’ve seen dozens (I think), and they were (almost) all utter twatsmack. Thank God, I finally found one I thoroughly enjoyed a couple of years back, by the name of Exists (Sanchez, 2014), although even that is far from the definite article; I like it but many do not. But, despite all that, if some particularly sadistic hombre were to plop a hundred more obviously dogshit bigfoot pics at my feet right now, I’d sit through them all regardless, no doubt weeping as I sat there.

Yes have also watched Exists at some point within the last year I think (I keep a list of the movies I’ve watched but alas not indication of when I actually watched it). I agree that it was a pretty decent movie.

Have had that Beast Collection on my wishlist for a loooong time, practically since it was released in 2009 so had to buy it :slight_smile:

Actually I also already have the Gamera Trilogy you link to, but as a part of this Gamera HD Bundle:

Haven’t had the time to watch any of them yet though and actually have to get me a Region A-player before that will happen :slight_smile:

Ah, well I’ve got Mill Creek’s Gamera:Ultimate Collection Volume 1 and Volume 2 on my wish list because they’re confirmed Region free despite the Region A label, as per the trilogy set. I swerved the 11-disc bundle because I couldn’t find region coding confirmation but having had a good look at them all, I strongly suspect that the 11-disc set is just the three smaller sets repackaged. Go and stick one of the discs in your player, I bet it’ll work (tbh though, the Gamera pics are fairly insipid toddler fodder. That '90s rebooted trilogy though is up among the best Kaiju pics I’ve seen).

Can’t believe you didn’t at least take a speculative punt at running those discs! :joy:

Ah thanks :slight_smile: Will give them a try. The HD Bundle is just a flimsy cardboard box holding three cases: Gamera Vol. 1 + 2 + Trilogy + Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris so they are most definitely the same releases sold separately.

Well if only had 20 movies in my watching pile I would probably have investigated the region-locking more thoroughly. As it is I’ve got hundreds other movies waiting. A blessing of course, lots to choose from, but damn it feels like a curse sometimes. So many movies crying: Watch me, watch me :slight_smile:

I’ll move these up now that there’s a chance that I will actually be able to ‘run’ them, so thanks.

Just ordered:

Three more Code Red blu-rays arrived today:

New blu-ray:

Saboteur (1942)
Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
Rope (1948)
Rear Window (1954)
The Trouble With Harry (1955)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
Vertigo (1958)
Psycho (1960)
The Birds (1963)
Marnie (1964)
Torn Curtain (1966)
Topaz (1969)
Frenzy (1972)
Family Plot (1976)

I already had The Birds, Psycho, Rear Window and Vertigo on blu-ray but, at £20, this 14-film set was still more than worth it.

Unfortunately the version of Psycho is still the usual cut one.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an uncut version! :slight_smile: I’ve certainly never heard of it. Mind you, what was that, eighteen seconds or so of cuts? Hardly seems worth chasing down to me (of course, it also hardly seems worth the censor making any of those cuts to begin with).

It seems it was censored already in 1960, and never restored. Maybe the cuts were done on the original camera negative. In other countries other cuts were made, and in some (like Germany) the original cut was used.

Bunch of stuff turned up this week:

That’s quite a haul, fella! The First Power is a proper blast from the past. :slight_smile:

Yes. Part of 88 Films Slasher Classics-series so it’s gotta be good :slight_smile:

That Hitchcock set…what a bargain !

It certainly is. I bought it in Sainsbury’s Ennioo, if you was thinking of picking one up yourself.

New DVD:

I’ve just got this (on Bluray ) (Tales Of Halloween) through the Post today.

I haven’t had a chance to review it yet…
It goes without saying, really, that I’m looking forward to this; as I recently bought the Bluray of 'Trick ‘R Treat’…should be a good double bill…if I ever get to watch both of them before being barbequed in my own home!

Sorry to go off the track.,…but I’ve just had Twats trying, (exactly a week ago), to set fire to a tree outside my home…a clear case (according to the Fire Brigade), of ‘Arson’! Bonfire Night, Halloween prank? …Wankers!!!

It seems to be that time of life when we (of a certain age) are getting the trash and scum of today’s so-called 'Big Society, trying to bring down Society because the ‘Law’ permits that, because of their age!

As for the Film…I’m looking forward to watching it…hopefully without Assholes attempting to roast my family alive!

‘Last Caress’…wishing you a peaceful ‘Adios’…Have a peaceful night, and happy viewing!

Toscano.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear of your trouble with local imbeciles Toscano, we certainly have our fair share of those in “Marvellous” Pitsea although, if I’m honest, I’m f*cking itching for one of these morons to jump me as part of that recent “creepy clown” craze. They’d learn what terror really is, believe.

On a happier note: Tales of Halloween is indeed an excellent accompaniment to Trick 'r Treat; it’s got a terrifically cheap ‘n’ cheerful “Halloween” vibe going on; a pile of crap really, but in a good way. I’m thinking of hitting a triple-bill on Saturday of those two pictures plus Halloween III: Season of the Witch (Wallace, 1982), saving Halloween (Carpenter, 1978) for Monday night.

Hi, Last Caress,

God Bless. Cheers for the response.

By the way, I Blimmin’ envy you for the time you have to experience the magic of ‘Film’…
Wishing nothing but ‘Good Viewing’!!!
Toscano.