How Meny Versions Do You Have Of The Same SW?

I have three DVDs of the Big Gundown :o

Originally I bought the Franco Cleef one. Then I bought the Koch one, but was rather disappointed with it so thought I would buy the Japanese Columbia Premium release to compare and see where the cuts were.

What’s wrong with the Koch DVD? It is not uncut?

It is uncut and the image is fine too. The problem I have is the audio: there is no English option and English is essential for this one in my opinion; there is a horrible audio glitch when the music from “Faccia a faccia” is played half way through!

To be fair on Koch, I did know that there was no English audio before I bought it, but I hadn’t realized what a difference it makes until watching it in Italian and missing all the musical tie-ins with the English audio :(. The “Faccia a faccia” music is a really big mistake on their part however.

Stanton, if you don’t own the Koch one and would like it, I’d happily trade with you for something - just send me a PM.

Oh! So that’s the thing with the Face to Face music! Good to know.

Thank you very much for the offer, but I have of course the Sollima box (and even Run Man Run also from the Rainbow collection).

[quote=“Novecento, post:43, topic:1792”]there is a horrible audio glitch when the music from “Faccia a faccia” is played half way through!

To be fair on Koch, I did know that there was no English audio before I bought it, but I hadn’t realized what a difference it makes until watching it in Italian and missing all the musical tie-ins with the English audio :(. The “Faccia a faccia” music is a really big mistake on their part however.[/quote]

You say the Italian version on the Koch DVD has music from FaF instead of the original one?

And what “musical tie-ins”?

In the scene involving the fake snakebite, Cuchillo rides off but instead of the familiar “Never, no never…” song, Koch have some reason accidentally included the music from Faccia a faccia. It’s only on this one scene.

The musical tie-ins refer to Cuchillo always saying “You’ll never catch me, never” as he escapes each time which ties in with the “Never, no never…” lyrics to the main song.

For any of you out there with only ONE version of ANY Spaghetti Western DVD I have a question…

…how do you sleep at night!!! :o :smiley:

Pretty strange, yes, and it is on both the Ital. and the Germ. version. But I doubt that Koch have made this sound cut. If the material was damaged it would have been easier for them to simply use an identical part of the La resa score. But they should have noticed the error and restored it.

I assume you have the Rainbow DVD? Which means they haven’t changed it.

[quote=“Provvidenza, post:47, topic:1792”]For any of you out there with only ONE version of ANY Spaghetti Western DVD I have a question…

…how do you sleep at night!!! :o :D[/quote]

We don’t sleep. When should we watch all these films if not at night.

Sleep is overrated.

Yes unless you have a three years old daughter that likes to weak up 7.30 AM on weekends, ::slight_smile: but not in kindergarden days.

In that case sleep is a precious thing

[quote=“Stanton, post:48, topic:1792”]Pretty strange, yes, and it is on both the Ital. and the Germ. version. But I doubt that Koch have made this sound cut. If the material was damaged it would have been easier for them to simply use an identical part of the La resa score. But they should have noticed the error and restored it.

I assume you have the Rainbow DVD? Which means they haven’t changed it.[/quote]

Yes, its the rainbow DVD.

It’s interesting that it’s a problem with the German audio too! The English audio on the Japanese DVD is correct like the Franco Cleef one.

I have always thought they did it on purpose (inserting Face to Face music), in fact I remember reading that somewhere. But did they? And why would they?

I have just checked the 2nd German dub, which was made for TV for the uncut version. Here we have the original music as it should be.

Think I may have over cooked it with the Oggi a me… domani a te! DVDs :o

[quote=“Provvidenza, post:47, topic:1792”]For any of you out there with only ONE version of ANY Spaghetti Western DVD I have a question…

…how do you sleep at night!!! :o :D[/quote]

On top of a pile of money surrounded by dozens of big breasted naked chicks! ;D :wink: :wink:

Sounds nice :wink: .

That seems highly unlikely ???.

Especially since it’s rather jarring, a friend of mine for whom The Big Gundown was his first non-Leone spaghetti was as puzzled as I was when it happened.

But even though they worked at both films at the same time, how likely is it to accidentally insert a small piece of soundtrack from one movie to another (I can’t imagine them working on both projects at the exact same time on a same software/hardware) and even on two different soundtracks (Italian and German).

And doesn’t the rainbow collection disc feature a new transfer of the film yet the face to face music remains (maybe the soundtracks are just copied from the previous release but they must have known about the music issue already).