Horror Westerns?

Can anyone think of any horror westerns apart from the following:

Curse of the Undead (1959)
The Living Coffin (1959)
Black Noon (1971)
Dead Birds (2004)

I’m not really up on these altho’ they might appeal, so thanks for the list.
I mentioned a great comic-book in this vein [vampires et all, so pun intended :)](in the appropriate ‘resources’ thread if you want more info), - that rumour has is going to be turned into a film ??
A FISTFUL OF BLOOD …

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

Not sure if it would be considered horror, but certainly supernatural in a twilight zone kind of way was ‘Into the Badlands’. Released around '94 I think and I believe was a cable TV thing originally.

The third part in the From Dusk Till Dawn Series is a (semi-spaghetti)western that turns into a horror.

This probably doesn’t fit but last year’s “Undead or Alive” would be classified as maybe a zombie, comedy western. What about “From Dusk Til Dawn 3: The Hangman’s Daughter.”(2000) That one is definitely a horror western.

Oh yeah, “The Valley of Gwangi.” Sheer greatness. Late sixties or early seventies.

Thanks for the replies.

‘Into the Badlands’ looks like it might be pretty good…
‘The Valley of Gwangi’ sounds bizarre, but I like James Franciscus so I might have to check it out…

[quote=“Ming, post:7, topic:969”]Thanks for the replies.

‘Into the Badlands’ looks like it might be pretty good…
‘The Valley of Gwangi’ sounds bizarre, but I like James Franciscus so I might have to check it out…[/quote]

I watched Valley Of Gwangi (1969) with my seven year old a couple weeks ago (so it is rated G). It is well worth the viewing but kind of slow until they get to the “valley”. The special effects are primitive by today’s standards but, nevertheless, quite enjoyable. I said in a post somewhere else that watching Gwangi the allosaurus take down a circus elephant was cruel and delightful. My boy got it right when he said “the dinosaurs are the best part”. No big surprise there. Enjoy (if you dare!)

Depends on your definition of Horror, to some degree.
But, as far as “supernatural” Westerns, there are always:

DJANGO THE BASTARD and HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER.

Also…and keep in mind this is just my personal take on the film…I consider DJANGO KILL! (aka, IF YOU LIVE–SHOOT!) a bit of a horror/supernatural Western.
I have a theory that I apply to the film that like Johnny Depp in the film DEAD MAN, Milian is already dead in DJANGO KILL! and he is in purgatory.
To be honest, that is the only way DJANGO KILL! works for me. But, I am likely one of the only ones that see it that way.

Was one of the From Dusk Till Dawn films set in western times?

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:9, topic:969”]Depends on your definition of Horror, to some degree.
But, as far as “supernatural” Westerns, there are always:

DJANGO THE BASTARD and HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER.

Also…and keep in mind this is just my personal take on the film…I consider DJANGO KILL! (aka, IF YOU LIVE–SHOOT!) a bit of a horror/supernatural Western.
I have a theory that I apply to the film that like Johnny Depp in the film DEAD MAN, Milian is already dead in DJANGO KILL! and he is in purgatory.
To be honest, that is the only way DJANGO KILL! works for me. But, I am likely one of the only ones that see it that way.[/quote]

Damn, didn’t think of those!

Is it just me, or does anyone think that Anthony Steffen is wooden in ‘Django The Bastard’ - a film I do like on-the-whole? Rightly or wrongly, it’s put me off seeing his films - one of which (‘Ringo, Face Of Revenge’) I have, but haven’t watched yet…

He’s been referred to as “Stiffen” on many ocassions - but I like him LOTS. The Ringo you’ve got aint the best but check out Garringo, Shango or 7 Dollars on the Red - flawed films, but I can only imagine Steffen in these roles now.

From what I’ve read, ‘From Dusk Til Dawn 3: The Hangman’s Daughter’ appears to be set at the start of the 20th century.

[quote=“Ming, post:11, topic:969”]Damn, didn’t think of those!

Is it just me, or does anyone think that Anthony Steffen is wooden in ‘Django The Bastard’ - a film I do like on-the-whole? Rightly or wrongly, it’s put me off seeing his films - one of which (‘Ringo, Face Of Revenge’) I have, but haven’t watched yet…[/quote]

No, it is not just you. But I got into a big dispute with another member (not a current one) about this. I feel much the same as you do. Lots of members here do like him and can recommend some of his films to you. As someone who feels the same way as you, I can recommend a couple I have seen: I like him in Man Called Django and Gentleman Killer (where he seems to deviate from his usual silent gunfighter persona).
I saw an interview recently with Ken Wood (Giovanni Cianfriglia) and he has no fond memories of working with Steffen. He pretty much singles him out as being unjustifiably full of himself.
I have a number of his films in my “to watch” queue but, because I don’t care too much for him, they seldom make it into my player.

I’ve been wanting to see ‘Garringo’ as I’ve heard good things about it, but it’s hard to find.
‘7 Dollars on the Red’ sounds like it might be interesting…

I’ve been wanting to get ‘Man Called Django’ as I’ve heard good things about it, but trying to get an uncut version is quite tough…
I almost bought the Wild East release of ‘Gentleman Killer’, but was put off by many conflicting reviews. I’ll probably go for it if I see it cheap.
Thanks for the recommendations… As we have a similar opinion, I will probably bite the bullet with these 2 movies.
As I mentioned earlier, I liked ‘Django The Bastard’ despite my lack of enthusiasm concerning Steffen, so it’s worth the risk.

[quote=“Ming, post:16, topic:969”]I’ve been wanting to get ‘Man Called Django’ as I’ve heard good things about it, but trying to get an uncut version is quite tough…
I almost bought the Wild East release of ‘Gentleman Killer’, but was put off by many conflicting reviews. I’ll probably go for it if I see it cheap.
Thanks for the recommendations… As we have a similar opinion, I will probably bite the bullet with these 2 movies.
As I mentioned earlier, I liked ‘Django The Bastard’ despite my lack of enthusiasm concerning Steffen, so it’s worth the risk.[/quote]

I have the New Entertainment version and also the out of print Dagored version. I can’t speak to cuts too much but I know the New Entertainment version is much, much better looking than the other one AND longer in terms of minutes (AND with English dub).
Gentlman Killer is ok to me. I love the soundtrack. The title theme played during the credits seems like a mix between the opera Carmina Burana and the theme from the TV show Rawhide. And Gentleman Killer has Eduardo Fajardo at his snakey best. Worth the look.
But, as often gets said on this forum, it all comes down to personal taste.

Garringo also turns up playing a ‘bit part’ in the Fulci’s horror/giallo ‘Don’t Torture a Duckling’.
When the tele’s being watched there are a couple of bits - one with PLL shooting soldiers and another from the finale with Steffen shooting it up.
Some sort of ‘homage’ maybe - both films are about serial killers (unusually for a spaghetti).

Ah…I always wondered what that western was in Don’t Torture a Duckling.

I don’t watch a lot of giallos but it bugged me when I saw this. Then one day it clicked. I remember posing it as a ‘bit of fun’ quiz to members when I first joined the forum (before I ‘fell on my sword’) but people didn’t really try to find out. You must’ve missed it, cos I ended up imparting this bit of trivia all those months ago.