Horror Films

The 50 Must-See Horror Movies of the 21st Century (So Far…), according to Film4:

[url]http://www.film4.com/special-features/top-lists/50-must-see-horror-films-21st-century[/url]

1. Låt den rätte komma in (aka Let the Right One In) (Alfredson, 2008)
  2. El espinazo del diablo (aka The Devil’s Backbone) (Del Toro, 2001)
  3. The Descent (Marshall, 2005)
  4. It Follows (Mitchell, 2014)
  5. The Babadook (Kent, 2014)
  6. Janghwa, Hongryeon (aka A Tale Of Two Sisters) (Kim, 2003)
  7. El orfanato (aka The Orphanage) (Bayona, 2007)
  8. Kill List (Wheatley, 2011)
  9. [REC] (Balagueró/Plaza, 2007)
  10. The Loved Ones (Byrne, 2009)
  11. Ginger Snaps (Fawcett, 2000)
  12. Pontypool (McDonald, 2008)
  13. Shaun Of The Dead (Wright, 2004)
  14. Haute tension (aka Switchblade Romance aka High Tension) (Aja, 2003)
  15. À l’intérieur (aka Inside) (Maury/Bustillo, 2007)
  16. Lake Mungo (Anderson, 2008)
  17. Spring (Benson/Moorhead, 2014)
  18. A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (Amirpour, 2014)
  19. You’re Next (Wingard, 2011)
  20. The Others (Amenábar, 2001)
  21. Mientras duermes (aka Sleep Tight) (Balagueró, 2011)
  22. Los cronocrímenes (aka Timecrimes) (Vigalondo, 2007)
  23. Session 9 (Anderson, 2001)
  24. House Of The Devil (West, 2009)
  25. Saw (Wan, 2004)
  26. Detention (Kahn, 2011)
  27. Berberian Sound Studio (Strickland, 2012)
  28. Ils (aka Them) (Moreau/Palud, 2006)
  29. Cabin In The Woods (Goddard, 2012)
  30. Honogurai mizu no soko kara (aka Dark Water) (Nakata, 2002)
  31. The Woman (McKee, 2011)
  32. Antichrist (von Trier, 2009)
  33. May (McKee, 2003)
  34. Amer (Forzani/Cattet, 2009)
  35. Martyrs (Laugier, 2008)
  36. Thirst (Park, 2009)
  37. Trick ‘r Treat (Dougherty, 2007)
  38. Wolf Creek (McLean, 2005)
  39. Trolljegeren (aka Trollhunter) (Øvredal, 2010)
  40. We Are What We Are (Mickle, 2013)
  41. Somos lo que hay (aka We Are What We Are) (Grau, 2010)
  42. Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (Craig, 2010)
  43. Paranormal Activity (Peli, 2007)
  44. American Psycho (Harmon, 2000)
  45. Calvaire (aka The Ordeal) (Du Welz, 2004)
  46. The Innkeepers (West, 2011)
  47. The Mist (Darabont, 2007)
  48. Black Swan (Aronofsky, 2010)
  49. Kairo (aka Pulse) (Kurosawa, 2001)
  50. Shutter Island (Scorsese, 2010)

[quote=“last.caress, post:1121, topic:405”]The 50 Must-See Horror Movies of the 21st Century (So Far…), according to Film4:

[url]http://www.film4.com/special-features/top-lists/50-must-see-horror-films-21st-century[/url]

1. Låt den rätte komma in (aka Let the Right One In) (Alfredson, 2008)

2. El espinazo del diablo (aka The Devil’s Backbone) (Del Toro, 2001)

3. The Descent (Marshall, 2005)

4. Janghwa, Hongryeon (aka A Tale Of Two Sisters) (Kim, 2003)

5. El orfanato (aka The Orphanage) (Bayona, 2007)

6. [REC] (Balagueró/Plaza, 2007)

7. Shaun Of The Dead (Wright, 2004)

8. The Others (Amenábar, 2001)

9. Saw (Wan, 2004)

10. Cabin In The Woods (Goddard, 2012)

11. Antichrist (von Trier, 2009)

12. Martyrs (Laugier, 2008)

13. Wolf Creek (McLean, 2005)

14. Paranormal Activity (Peli, 2007)

15. American Psycho (Harmon, 2000)

16. Calvaire (aka The Ordeal) (Du Welz, 2004)

17. The Mist (Darabont, 2007)

18. Shutter Island (Scorsese, 2010)[/quote]

These are the ones I’ve seen. I didn’t like any of the top three (number four is on the to watch pile)
Actually there are few films on the list that I really liked. A Tale of two Sisters is probably my favoite. Odd film that I liked better when I rewatched it. I wasn’t blown away the first time, but kept thinking of it.

Only seen 9 and out of those there’s only 3 which i think are good ones, Anti-Christ, Black Swan and Shutter Island. And Shutter Island is more thriller than horror imo.

Seen five (and Berbian Sound Studio is on the watch pile), but a strange list if we don’t have Pan’s Labyrinth (which is superior to The Devil’s Background) but instead have Shutter Island and Black Swan, which I consider psycho-thrillers. Amer though, should be much, much higher.

Yep, I can relate entirely to that assessment. Very good movie, but most of Jee-woon Kim’s movies that I’ve seen are IMO (A Bittersweet Life, The Good, the Bad, the Weird, I saw the Devil and, um, The Last Stand, which If I’m honest I wasn’t quite so keen on).

I think it’s a pretty good list as far as these things go (I’ve seen maybe 40 of them), apart from perhaps the horror community’s continued fascination with The Orphanage which I’m afraid I found a little dull. and The Others which I’m afraid I found as dull as f*cking ditchwater. Plenty of omissions too of course, but there are only 50 slots.

Shutter Island is utter shit. :wink:

Hmm, Balaguero’s The Nameless (1999 and for that not on the list) is much better than the disappointing Rec.

But then, most films on the list which I have seen (about half of the bunch) are good or pretty good.

Amongst the best are also The Ring (Verbinski), Eden Lake and the Dawn of the Dead remake by Zick-Zack Snyder. And Hostel 2, which is much better than the idiotic first one.

Oh, and All the Boys love Mandy Lane is fantastic. Probably the best, together with Anti-Christ.

Bukarest Fleisch is a small German one which is not very well known, not even in Germany.

@4. It Follows (Mitchell, 2014)- You got to be kidding me. The film was so over-hyped, it wasn’t even scary at all. Utter shit in my book.

Now you are confusing it with Utter Shitland. :wink:

Ok, Ok! utter crap. :wink:

I don’t think Shutter Island was Uttter Shitland, but Marty has done a lot better, to put it mildly

Eden Lake and Hostel 2 (indeed better than 1) were decent horror movies, yes. An Mandy was okay as well. Don’t know about Anti-Christ. I saw it in cinema with a Theologist and found the discussion afterwards (over a few glasses of wine) more interesting than the movie.

Ok, it is not a total bad movie, but a very disappointing one considering it coming from Scorsese. Maybe his weakest film. 4/10

The most tedious fucking film I’ve seen in a while, I almost fell asleep whilst watching it, despite the amounts of violence that presumably might nauseate its viewer and consequently, keep him disgusted and somewhat maintain their interest in the film.

Shutter Island is an okay film, but once you know the twist which is a tad bromidic, then the whole flick may become somewhat vapid and prosaic. I’d need to re-watch it to say more, I don’t feel the urge to do that though.

Christ, that movie… ::slight_smile:

It isn’t utter shit IMHO, I’d rather say it’s the movie that sets off with a great premise, but the director bungles it and the flick ends up being only mediocre.

I really like Shutter Island, but at the same time I can fully appreciate how someone might consider it to be a bit “'phoned in” as they say, coming as it does from one of the finest directors who have ever lived. It doesn’t feel as though it comes from a master craftsman. Still, maybe it helps him to knock out an “easy” one now and then.

Yes. I din’t really mind the movie, but knowing that it was Marty …

Anti-Christ is fascinating stuff from one of the most interesting directors which still works. Von Trier’s films are always a challenge for body and mind.

Well, Von Trier is certainly capable of arousing extreme sentiments, especially in my case. Either I abhor a movie he makes or I really enjoy it, there is rarely something in between, he’s definitely no middle-of-the-road director.

Only seen 7 of the films listed ???

You beat me only viewed 6 from the list :stuck_out_tongue: