Horror Films

And me - only 3

Shaun of the Dead ??? surely a comedy and spoofy rather than ‘horror’. I didn’t think it very good on either of these criteria.
The Devil’s Backbone - enjoyed this - not scary horror - but very atmospheric.
Wolf Creek - I don’t really like/enjoy ‘horror’ but I think this was really well done. I remember that the choirmistress, Toby and his gal, and Sparky (the dog) R.I.P. settled down for a night in with this. Sparky was the first to leave - freaked out by subliminal howling that he really didn’t like. The cm was next under the pretext of comforting Sparky, soon followed by Toby who felt a bit uncomfortable once it got into its stride.
Gal and me stuck it out, she thoroughly enjoying every blood-sodden minute, but I stayed as well… well if I’d moved it would have become obvious that I had actually shat myself.
As much as I love Giallo and stuff, I’m a bit of a wuss when it comes to this level of semi-realistic psycho-nastiness :stuck_out_tongue:

Well four or five that I remember but i’m terrible with titles

The Devil’s backbone is my favourite from that list, from those I’ve seen of course

To fight the horror I’m watching Hanna and her sisters

Ironically, I’m typing this and just looked up as Final Destination (2000) has just begun its thing on tele tonight. Now, I reckon that I remember this to be a goodie, and it would qualify as horror from what I remember, but it didn’t make the list, surprisingly?

But I suppose it’s what others deem as horror - and I really haven’t seen enough to judge - (thankfully) :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:1141, topic:405”]And me - only 3

Shaun of the Dead ??? surely a comedy and spoofy rather than ‘horror’. I didn’t think it very good on either of these criteria.[/quote]

Same with me…I watched it at the urging of a friend and was rather underwhelmed. Much prefer Hot Fuzz…reminded me of some of the villages down my way ;D

Yeah - definately the better film. And more horror-ish in a way cos I suppose that we weren’t so expecting the (quite gruesome) deaths, with it being set in quaint l’il English village-life.
The zombie stuff was a bit too obvious and easy.

Still watching Final Destination on the box in real time - it’s good! :slight_smile:

The John Denver - Rocky Mountain High soundrack quietly playing in the background is fuck*n weird and disconcertin’ :stuck_out_tongue:

Come to the East Midlands…some of the villagers are nutters (though maybe not that bad). Have had a few weird experiences over the years :o

Six fingers - kick one and they all limp. I’m not from so far away… :wink:

Whereabouts are you? If you don’t mind me asking… (Wait…i know I’ve sent stuff to you before so I should know…) Damn.

Wild West Yorkshire now - but the midlands as a kid.

Ah, yes. Lincoln for me…Lincolnshire, the county that everyone who doesn’t live there calls “that flat place”. It really isn’t >:(

Yep. I remember the earthquake at 3 in the morning - the horror- the horror! :wink:
Yep - and I’ve been up that hill to the cathedral…

Yes! I was watching Bury Them Deep at the time. Fell of my chair and had to reach for the Southern Comfort. Only time the earth ever moved for me :stuck_out_tongue:

;D

Someone who thought they’d escaped death by train jus’ got decapitated in FD - it’s pretty entertaining 'scept for the fuckin adverts. They should be pushing John Denver’s back-catalogue really - missed a trick… :stuck_out_tongue:

FD? Is that Final Destination? Never seen any of them. Despite some of my friends thinking I’m massively into horror films I haven’t actually seen many modern ones. One friend seems to think I really like vampire films and sent me a rather strange birthday package some years ago…

Yeah - it’s on the box now on the Dave channel - it’s pretty good… great set pieces with each death being sort of anticipated and the future recipient trying to cheat it (and sometimes thinking they’ve made it).
I’m not sure of the quality of any sequel tho’ of which I gather there were many.

This one is pretty creative.

Ah Ok, may check it out another time then. Watching Family Guy at the moment :slight_smile:

Well - FD is over (ecept for mulitudinous sequels) - and it won’t be giving me nightmares or disturbing my zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs this eve with its scaryness, so maybe not up there in the top chart of horror offerings. :stuck_out_tongue: (thankfully)
Cocoa time :wink:

Continuing booze time for me ;D

[size=12pt] 13 SINS[/size] (2014, Daniel Stamm)

32-year old Elliot Brindle is definitely down on his luck: he’s already responsible for his mentally unstable brother and now his alcoholic and abusive father wants to move in with him as well. To make things even worse, he loses his job as a salesman (because he was to meek to exploit customers!). But then he’s invited to play a game which could turn him into a millionaire in 13 steps: the reward for every new challenge is higher, but the challenges also get more reprehensible with every step. Is he going to get dirty rich or just dirty?

Apparently this small horror movie was based on a Thai movie (13 Game Sayong) that was an immense hit at home but was barely released outside the country because The Weinstein Company bought the rights for a remake. The Weinstein remake never came off the ground and the rights were then sold to a smaller company, Blumhouse Productions, specialized in low-budget horror movies). 13 Sins did well on some horror festivals, but failed to become a hit because Blumhouse didn’t have money for a decent publicity campaign.

There are similarities to both the SAW franchise and David Fincher’s THE GAME (the director himself said he was influenced by Schumacher’s Falling Down). 13 Sins is not as gross and gruesome as Saw (but there’s enough blood to keep you maniacs happy) and the director, Daniel Stamm, is certainly no Fincher; his movie feels a little amateurish here and there but it doesn’t really matter: it’s fast paced, well-acted and genuinely suspenseful. Brindle is presented as an person who becomes increasingly addicted to the dangers and the excitement of the game, as if he were a real drug addict who wants to score at any price. Two endings were filmed: a nihilistic one and a more upbeat one. I think the wrong ending made it to the final cut.

7-

[size=12pt]PROM NIGHT[/size] (2008)

A remake, but in name only, of the 1980‘s slasher flick of the same name starring Jamie Lee Curtis (discussed here last week). It’s set on the same night and again there’s a killer on the loose, but the story’s different. Years ago Donna Keppel has witnessed the slaughter of her family by the hand of a maniac called Richard Fenton, and now, a couple of years later, like all high school seniors, she’s looking forward to prom night. And then the news is spread that Fenton has escaped …

The film was almost unanimously panned by critics but it’s actually not that bad. Overall it’s a fairly standard horror production that has a few things right but also has a few things wrong. It’s well-crafted and has a good cast, but we know the identity of the killer from the start and the script doesn’t offer enough twists to keep us entertained. After a while it simply becomes a slasher movie in search of new victims. The slayings are remarkably restrained for a contemporary horror flick, but they’re also quite generic.

Brittany Snow is too old for the part but she’s most definitely cute and Johnathon Schaech isn’t a bad Charles Manson lookalike, but the movie works best when Idris Elba is brought more central to the action. Most people will know Elba as the drug kingpin Stringer Bell from The Wire or as DCI Luther, the titular character from the British detective series; his police detective is no more than a supporting character but his presence is so strong that he easily walks away with the movie. No wonder it has even been suggested that he could be a good (black) Bond.

5+