Horror Films

http://www.tarantino.info/wiki/index.php/The_Double_Feature_-_Your_new_favorite_exploitation_cinema_magazine

For the benefit of UK members Iā€™ll post this info I just received from a friend :- ā€œpicked up a pile of dvds on the Hard Gore label from the pound shop, the best of which is probably Umberto Lenzis 70s cannibal film Deep River Savages, watched it yesterday, great widescreen printā€. At Ā£1 each Iā€™ll try and get hold of these myself and post more info here. Anyone else spotted them?

Not spotted them before, but thanks for the info. Have to go into town this week and we have two pound shops there! Might find something good in them for once. One thingā€¦wonā€™t Deep River Savages be cut though?

Yes someone has posted on amazon.co.uk that the HARD GORE disc is cut by 3+ minutes!!! but Iā€™m interested in checking out Italian horror films so will buy it anyway. Also ā€œNightmares Come At Night might also be of interest as its Jess Franco!ā€

Well, i suppose for a pound a time, you really canā€™t go wrong! And youā€™ll discover if youā€™re interested enough to then buy more expensive discs. Iā€™ll look out for that Jess Franco one too as i havenā€™t really seen much of his stuff. (Oh and re the Deep River Savages cuts, i believe a lot of them were to do with actual cruelty to animals, so perhaps itā€™s not a bad thingā€¦)

Franco is not for everyone. I love the guy but loads of people hate him, so you are warned. Interesting to hear about Deep River Savages. I hear that the US disc (under the title Man From Deep River) is uncut. I have it and it does look uncut but who knowsā€¦

Thanks for the tip! I just won one on ebay for GBP 0.01 (shipping costs GBP 3.00)

Yes, iā€™ve noticed before that he seems to provoke quite extreme opinions one way or the other! Iā€™ve (as far as i know) only seen two of his films (Necronomicon and Venus In Furs), and i did enjoy them. Iā€™d like to have a look at Besame Monstruo, Sadisterotica, and Eugenieā€¦The Story of her Journey into Perversity at some point. (Donā€™t suupose theyā€™ll have THEM in the Ā£1 shop!).

Back on the subject of Deep River Savages, i believe the US version is uncut, and (has the original title). Here in the UK, it was one of the films that found itself on the ā€œnastiesā€ list, and of course the censors here are very strict about scenes of cruelty (real) to animals. The book See No Evil lists most of these scenes and they do sound fairly offputting!).

Yes. Unfortunately, that seems to be par for the course for the genre. Lenzi started the whole cycle with this film so, yes, there are some pretty disturbing animal mutilations in the film, although nothing as horrible as that alligator cut open while it was still alive inā€¦wait, what film is that from? I think itā€™s Jungle Holocaust. Hmmā€¦

Well, this book of mine lists the following from Deep River Savages;

an alligator has a knife pushed through itā€™s head and is then skinned alive
a mongoose and cobra are forced to fight to the death
a live monkey has the top of itā€™s skull cut off, and
a goat has itā€™s throat sliced clean openā€¦

sound familiar?

Actually i do remember reading an interview with Ivan Rassimov somewhere, and he said he found it all rather disturbing, but that one other guy was so freaked out by what heā€™d seen that he just took off running into the jungle and someone had to be sent to find him!

[quote=ā€œSilver, post:30, topic:405ā€]Well, this book of mine lists the following from Deep River Savages;

an alligator has a knife pushed through itā€™s head and is then skinned alive
a mongoose and cobra are forced to fight to the death
a live monkey has the top of itā€™s skull cut off, and
a goat has itā€™s throat sliced clean openā€¦

sound familiar?

Actually i do remember reading an interview with Ivan Rassimov somewhere, and he said he found it all rather disturbing, but that one other guy was so freaked out by what heā€™d seen that he just took off running into the jungle and someone had to be sent to find him![/quote]

Oh, yes, youā€™re right! One of the other aspects of these cannibal films is the re-used footage! The horrifying alligator death was shot for Man from Deep River but re-used in at least one other film (and I think it was Deodatoā€™s Jungle Holocaust.) And, in Lenziā€™s Eaten Alive, a whole scene is lifted straight from Jungle Holocaust!
Speaking of actorā€™s being disturbed by the animal murders on set, John Morgan (Giovanni Lombardo Radice) refused to kill a pig on the set of Make Them Die Slowly (aka Cannibal Ferox) even though Lenzi was insisting that he do so! No wonder Johnā€™s character gets his dick cut off in the filmā€¦

[quote=ā€œflynnparadox, post:31, topic:405ā€]Oh, yes, youā€™re right! One of the other aspects of these cannibal films is the re-used footage! The horrifying alligator death was shot for Man from Deep River but re-used in at least one other film (and I think it was Deodatoā€™s Jungle Holocaust.) And, in Lenziā€™s Eaten Alive, a whole scene is lifted straight from Jungle Holocaust!
Speaking of actorā€™s being disturbed by the animal murders on set, John Morgan (Giovanni Lombardo Radice) refused to kill a pig on the set of Make Them Die Slowly (aka Cannibal Ferox) even though Lenzi was insisting that he do so! No wonder Johnā€™s character gets his dick cut off in the filmā€¦[/quote]

Well, you have to admire him for sticking with his principals. Talking of the same actor, i have read a few very funny interviews with him over the years. He said in one, that the screams are real in Make Them Die Slowly because the adhesive used to attach the prosthetic ā€œappendageā€ was pretty strong, so when it was ripped away from his body, most of his hair went with itā€¦ :o That poor guy certainly died a lot of horrible deaths in various films didnā€™t he! He also contributes quite a bit the the book ā€œEaten Alive; Italian Cannibal and Zombie Moviesā€, with some amusing and enlightening interviews and reviews. You kinda get the feeling heā€™s not too keen on many of the films. In fact his review of Last Cannibal World actually starts ā€œOh my God, what a piece of shit!ā€ :smiley:

[quote=ā€œSilver, post:28, topic:405ā€]Yes, iā€™ve noticed before that he seems to provoke quite extreme opinions one way or the other! Iā€™ve (as far as i know) only seen two of his films (Necronomicon and Venus In Furs), and i did enjoy them. Iā€™d like to have a look at Besame Monstruo, Sadisterotica, and Eugenieā€¦The Story of her Journey into Perversity at some point. (Donā€™t suupose theyā€™ll have THEM in the Ā£1 shop!).[/quote]Check also our Jess Franco topic for more recommendations!
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,650.0.html

[quote=ā€œBill san Antonio, post:33, topic:405ā€]Check also our Jess Franco topic for more recommendations!
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,650.0.html[/quote]

Thanksā€¦been checing it out, so any further questions will go there! Also dug out an old book of mine with a chapter devoted to himā€¦ Immoral Tales; Sex And Horror Cinema In Europe 1956 - 1984 (iā€™d forgotten what a great book this isā€¦).

Yeah, Giovanni is a hoot. Seems like a real nice, down-to-earth guy. Heā€™s on the commentary track for Cannibal Ferox (Make Them Die Slowly) and he begins the track thusly: ā€œAh, what can I say about Cannibal Ferox? I hate it.ā€
Oh, and Immoral Tales is a great book!

[quote=ā€œflynnparadox, post:35, topic:405ā€]Yeah, Giovanni is a hoot. Seems like a real nice, down-to-earth guy. Heā€™s on the commentary track for Cannibal Ferox (Make Them Die Slowly) and he begins the track thusly: "Ah, what can I say about Cannibal Ferox? I hate it."
Oh, and Immoral Tales is a great book![/quote]

Hahaā€¦i got the impression that Cannibal Ferox didnā€™t do much for him from that book, or horror films in general ā€¦

Talking of other books, ever read Video Trash and Treasures? Very funny and useful little book.

[quote=ā€œSilver, post:36, topic:405ā€]Hahaā€¦i got the impression that Cannibal Ferox didnā€™t do much for him from that book, or horror films in general ā€¦

Talking of other books, ever read Video Trash and Treasures? Very funny and useful little book.[/quote]

No, I donā€™t have that one. Iā€™ll have to keep an eye out for itā€¦

Iā€™m not a major Horror buff but I know a lot of you guys are so thought Iā€™d post this link for a deal I saw going at Deepdiscount.
Buy 2 get 1 free on Anchor Bay Horor DVDs.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Anchor-Bay-Horror-Buy-2-Get-1-Free_stcVVcatId492035VVviewcat.htm?promoCode=BUYTWOGETONEhttp://www.deepdiscount.com/Anchor-Bay-Horror-Buy-2-Get-1-Free_stcVVcatId492035VVviewcat.htm?promoCode=BUYTWOGETONE&extid=email091007_dvd

Deepdiscountā€™s prices are usually pretty good anyway so if you are into this stuff itā€™s a an extra good deal.

Beware of customs though. Deepdiscount writes the exact value (or at least thatā€™s what theyā€™ve done when Iā€™ve ordered from them) on the package and there is (at least in Denmark) a high chance of them being picked up in customs and made a lot of hell more expensive.

But yes itā€™s a good offer. Would very much like the two Bava box sets but nothing else really.

[quote=ā€œAvatarDK, post:39, topic:405ā€]Beware of customs though. Deepdiscount writes the exact value (or at least thatā€™s what theyā€™ve done when Iā€™ve ordered from them) on the package and there is (at least in Denmark) a high chance of them being picked up in customs and made a lot of hell more expensive.

But yes itā€™s a good offer. Would very much like the two Bava box sets but nothing else really.[/quote]

Yes do be careful of customs. I have been stung before.