Holy Water Joe / Acquasanta Joe (Mario Gariazzo, 1971)

Database link: Acquasanta Joe - The Spaghetti Western Database

Quite trashy movie, but quite entertaining. What do you all think?

[quote=“Sebastian, post:1, topic:240”]Database link: Acquasanta Joe - The Spaghetti Western Database

Quite trashy movie, but quite entertaining. What do you all think?[/quote]
Just watched it last night, the C’est La Vie release. I think you hit the nail on the head with your short analysis. It’s not good, but it had me laughing quite a few times. There are also some entertaining characters. For instance the cigar munching colonel, Charlie and the weird Sicilian character. The plot gets way too complicated for an utterly stupid movie, with all kinds of sub plots. A lot of spaghetti western cliches. The humour is a tad different from most comedy westerns, which was a nice change. I noticed a lot of recycled music from other movies. All in all, not good. But pretty entertaining. I gave it 6/10 in my review. (how many stars is that?)

3 I think.

I’ve had this on my ‘to see’ pile for some time and decided that an insomniac early morning today was the ideal time to give it a go. I have the C’Est La Vie edition and have found their releases to be of a very mixed quality. A Few Dollars for Django and Vengeance Trail were both pretty decent while Sartana in the Valley of Death was pretty poor. It seems their releases were a bit hit and miss in this fashion.

Acquasanta Joe falls heavily into the ‘pretty poor’ camp for me. In fact I’d go as far as to say it is bloody awful, yet not in a ‘good’ way. Light hearted but not funny and with a really incongruous music score that mixes pastiche banjo playing with early seventies blaxploitation funk. Ty Hardin and Lincoln Tate could both have been used to better advantage and all in all I think it is a good example of a film bereft of any ideas.

On a more positive note, after struggling through to the end I was able to get back to sleep with consumate ease. So, every cloud etc…

An awful movie but I would watch it again.
Very entertaining.
The cannon v.s. Bow and arrow finale isn’t executed too well but you have to admit it’s original.

[quote=“Phil H, post:4, topic:240”]I’ve had this on my ‘to see’ pile for some time and decided that an insomniac early morning toady was the ideal time to give it a go. I have the C’Est La Vie edition and have found their releases to be of a very mixed quality. A Few Dollars for Django and Vengeance Trail were both pretty decent while Sartana in the Valley of Death was pretty poor. It seems their releases were a bit hit and miss in this fashion.

Acquasanta Joe falls heavily into the ‘pretty poor’ camp for me. In fact I’d go as far as to say it is bloody awful, yet not in a ‘good’ way. Light hearted but not funny and with a really incongruous music score that mixes pastiche banjo playing with early seventies blaxploitation funk. Ty Hardin and Lincoln Tate could both have been used to better advantage and all in all I think it is a good example of a film bereft of any ideas.[/quote]

Just watched Aquasanta Joe this evening. Ditto Phil, pretty poor.

This one interested me after reading Shobary’s review of it. Although he rated it badly, I still wish to see it. Does anyone know where I can buy a Region1 or 0 dvd/ dvd-r of this?

Hi Korano,
The disc I have is a PAL but I see that Atlas Visuals has a dvd-r of it (as Acquasanta Joe). They say their version is a A/A- quality (which means their version is not too bad). But…it does not say it is in widescreen so it is almost certainly cropped although, with Atlas, they sometimes don’t say if it is widescreen. Here’s the page: http://www.atlasvisuals.com/spaghetti_a_l.htm
There are almost certainly other copies of it out there on other sites.
Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Heehee. Well, I liked it a little more that you amigo but I wouldn’t call it anything special. I know we all organize our Spaghetti differently, but I keep this one with a little group of others that I recognize (on an objective level) are not so great but have some redeemaing factor(s). In this case the redeeming factor is Silvia Monelli.

Thank you very much Romaine. I will check that out.

Watched this one today and liked it very much. Nothing too special mind you but very enjoyable. Nice catchy music and Lincoln Tate looks a lot less anoying with a moustache than without like in return of hallelujah or Crow. Just something that bothered m when looking at the films stills. I didn’t think it was too trashy but the hotel room scene does kinda seem a little trashy. iked Ty Hardin in Spaghetti. He was even better in Gariazzo’s Drummer of Vengeance. Wish he did more but he retired from acting in the 70’s because of increasing film violence and profanity. Surprised to see him as an anti semite but looks are deceiving. What did bother me about the film is that bald bad guy who gets REALLY red at the end and Richard Harrison’s balding head. He couldn’t have been that old. Maybe I’ll write a review. I enjoy writting reviews for obscure or at least semi obscure films that nobody has seen or nobody likes.

I did think the editing was a bit sloppy as there is almost no developement of Richard Harrison as a traitor to his outlaw companions. But liked it for what was. I rented this film to test to see if my player is actually region free and it is!!! YEAH!

Mediocre film with some good scenes. 4/10

The trailer is bloody awfull!

And the film is even worse imo.
Its in my top 3 of the worst sw’s.

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:8, topic:240”]Hi Korano,
Welcome to the forum, by the way.[/quote]
Oh the things you find when you look. I give it a 4 1/2 star rating out of 10. Out of place music, Lincoln Tate seemed out of place as the lead. Lost interest fast.

[quote=“Phil H, post:4, topic:240”]I’ve had this on my ‘to see’ pile for some time and decided that an insomniac early morning today was the ideal time to give it a go.

On a more positive note, after struggling through to the end I was able to get back to sleep with consumate ease. So, every cloud etc…[/quote]

Sums it up.

[quote=“Dorado, post:14, topic:240”]And the film is even worse imo.
Its in my top 3 of the worst sw’s.[/quote]
Then that I voted one star due to the trailer at least doesn’t matter ;).

this one falls under my “very enjoyable with a 6 pack of beers” category

i seem to have spaghetti beer goggles… get a few in me and suddenly a Fidani becomes OUATITW

And OUATITW becomes a Fidani ;D!

I loved the scene with the roulette wheel near the beginning, other than that I don’t remember much about this.