Hate Is My God / L’odio è il mio Dio (Claudio Gora, 1969)

Did I really write that?

I can think of one or two other spaghs that got a way with a plot-line something like that!

Here you are pretty close to how I comprehend this film.

Sorry, I might have been a little bit unfair here! The review is damn good. I’d just like to know what the hell was going on without any questions. You know to have a clear resolution. Now it is like a song that ends with a chord that creates a tension.

Which ones? You don’t mean Robards in OUTW, do you? I think if a movie is made really really well it can get away with much more than a regular movie. But in OUTW there was Claudia as his motive if Im not mistaken. Sorry if you dont mean this one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Which version did you watch?

The greater part of the film is a reconstruction of the events leading to Vincent’s return to Big Springs, finally explained in full in Blanche’s monologue to Vincent towards the end of the film, a scene left out in the German version. Il Nero’s motif is explained only in Sweetly’s monologue in the streets of Big Springs at the very end of the film. Whether the two protagonists know each other beforehand, and the arrival of Il Nero in Big Springs at the exact same time as Vincent, is left unexplained, at least in the 94 min version I watched, and I think perhaps deliberately. I don’t know if that amounts to a plot-hole.

The version I’ve watched was compiled from scenes in different languages. It is probably the same version you’ve seen. It is still puzzling. The black psycho killer just seems to enjoy killing for fun. (He hates everyone? Hate is his God? Hm?) It was Sweatly who looked like he wanted revenge not this II Nero. He could have killed Vincent too with a maniacal smile. Now that would be courageous ending. :smiley:

Seems to me he deliberately kills Carter’s consorts. And to keep Vincent alive.

That is true but I’d rather say he likes to mix business with pleasure. Why would he kill the poor dog otherwise? :frowning:

What happened to the disc release of this one?

It’ll probably never happen. It’s been six years already

I think it will still come.
It is a small label, but they are still working on it. And they already have submitted the film for a new rating last year, it is now FSK 16 instead of FSK 18. Which costs money, and they would not have spent that for a film, they are nor sure about releasing it.

Patience is the magic word …

1 Like

I hope you’re right, Stanton. From memory, I struggled to get into this one the last time I watched it. An English dub and a HD transfer might improve my enjoyment though.

Was it a TV-print or VHS?

I have a VHS composite version with English subtitles.

Hate is My God has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etc…

1 Like

I finally had the unexpected opportunity to see this one today and, from what I can tell, it is the same Frankenstein’s monster version that many others in the comments have seen. It went back and forth between Italian and German and it was certainly a hodge-podge of several different prints of varying quality all stitched together to make a complete movie. But, it did have English subtitles.

The excitement that I felt at finally being able to see this film dissipated as I began to watch and I quickly found myself falling into an unexplainable state of melancholy. Despite this fact, I was completely mesmerized from start to finish and, now that it is over, I can’t stop thinking about it and wondering, “What the absolute hell did I just see?”

For some reason, whenever I looked at Carlo Giordana all I saw was a young Buddy Ebsen but given that neither he nor Tony Kendall said a single solitary word through the entire film, it somehow worked for him. I am sure some would say that they would like to have seen brother Andrea in the movie instead but I just don’t think he would have fit as well. The gangly scarecrow Carlo was meant to play that silent role.

As for Kenall’s Il Nero, that man had some major psychological issues and should have been housed in a mental institution immediately.

While the basic premise of the story is a simple revenge tale, there are several unanswered questions just left to the imagination, the biggest being why is Il Nero even there? What has made him come to this small town, where it is acknowledged that he is essentially slumming compared to the other places he has been, to help Giordana’s Vincent seek his revenge. Frankly, we aren’t even sure if that is why he is there or if the pair knew each other prior to their arrival. It is hinted at that they did though…maybe.

As I sit here, I can’t really even say if this was a good movie or a bad one. It is cheaply made but stylish. And, love it or hate it, it is a must watch for any fan of the genre simply because you are unlikely to ever see another movie like it.

I can already tell though that this is one of those movies that I will spend the next few days pondering as I can’t help but feel that there is some hidden deeper meaning that I just can’t wrap my brain around. But I also can’t help but feeling that I probably never will.

6 Likes

Very intriguing ! … this has been in my inbox / 'To do list, for a while now … but I’m still recuperating after the Spagfest, and perhaps early January ain’t the time to tackle it.

:wink:

2 Likes

I liked it, from what I remember. Was a crappy looking image from somewhere on the internet though. Would love to see it again on a proper release.

1 Like