Hate Is My God / L’odio è il mio Dio (Claudio Gora, 1969)

Database Page: Odio è il mio Dio, L' - The Spaghetti Western Database

L’odio è il mio Dio / Hate Is My God / Hatred of God / Il Nero - Haß war sein Gebet

I recently had the chance to pick up a German ex-rental vhs (Toppic, 85min, excellent quality) :slight_smile: ! Never came by this movie before, seems to be hard to get !?

I don’t really know what to think about it !? The movie doesn’t have a real story apart from the usual vendetta thing going on… many plotholes (maybe due to cuts?)… a psychopathic avenger (Claudio Giordana)… a mysterious stranger (we don’t know about his motivation but also a psychopath performed by Tony Kendall)… a few mean villains (among them Herbert Fux and Gunther Phillip)… nice gunfights… and lots of violence (which is probably pruned a little bit on my version!?) !!!

Well, I think I’ll have to rewatch it before posting a complete opinion but what I already like about the movie is its bleakness and grittiness :slight_smile: ! The plot, if there is any, is very irritating :frowning: !

Does anybody know this flic ? Any opinions and ratings ?

Shouldn’t it be Django - Haß war sein Gebet ? :wink:

Is it german audio on this VHS release Bluntwolf ?

@ Lindberg: I was wondering where they took Il Nero from and why they didn’t use Django !? :wink:

@ Ennioo: It is German audio ! :frowning:

Thanks for the information Bluntwolf :).

Is there any other version around ? I would like to know 'cause of running time, cuts etc. !

I think I’ve the same version as you Bluntwolf; it’s a vhs ripp with german dub. so it should be the toppic version (it’s the only german version I know).
it looks very cut, at least that was my impression.

a really grazy film. after watching it I had the same problems. I couldn’t say I like it or not. my only thougth was , what was that …

So we definitely need an uncut version !!!

BTW Welcome to the board mwaf :slight_smile:

thanks for welcome!

for this film I haven’t any hope that there will ever come an uncut release.
but it would be nice

Well, there is an uncut version available on emule. Be warned though: the quality is very bad. And it’s put together from 2 different sources. Most of it is in Italian, with a tv logo in the left corner, and several scenes are in German. So it seems both the German and the Italian version are cut, only they are different cuts, and someone decided to combine them to make a complete version.

This version runs 94 min. The German vhs is 86 min. I haven’t seen either one:D, don’t have the German one. I’m not sure whether this was ever dubbed in English. Even the biggest collectors don’t seem to have it in English.

Hate Is My God, cool spaghetti title at least

It was a german / italian production,maybe thats because its available with german dub.
In a german italowestern bible you can read,that the premiere at cinema was in may 1969.
In germany even a few days earlier than in italy and the original runtime should be 110 minutes !?

110 minutes seems implausable. With some notable exceptions, most spaghettis had a running time of about 90 minutes. Producers, distributors and movie theaters wanted them that way. There are many places where you can check a movie’s length:

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/odio_mio_dio.htm[/url] 90m
[url=http://www.cinema.nl/films/411910/l-odio-e-il-mio-dio]Films - VPRO Gids 95m
[url=http://www.mymovies.it/dizionario/recensione.asp?id=16814]Film 2023 | MYmovies.it 109 / 95 / 84
[url=http://www.anica.it/arc/1969/69ag2643.thtml]http://www.anica.it/arc/1969/69ag2643.thtml[url]http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/odio_mio_dio.htm[/url] 94 / 110

the last one provides the most accurate information, with length in meters for the film roll (at 24 fps). That number has to be divided by 27.44 to get the running length in minutes. In this case, 2 different rolls are mentioned: German = 94 minutes, Italy = 110 minutes. To make it even more difficult, 4% has to be subtracted to get PAL video speed.

Anyway, all those data and we still don’t know anything for sure ::slight_smile: But if I were a gambling man, I’d put my money on 95 min.

Maybe there’s an alternative scenario: the 110m print is the original master print before release, and all subsequent prints were trimmed down?

Movies and their running length… fascinating stuff!! ;D

Thats very exactly!
I always want to know how to calculate this.

I would bet on 95 min.,too :slight_smile:

Looking for the Italian Version!

What is it?
What is it?
Yesterday I saw this movie.
And it was the strangest spaghetti western I have seen so far.
The film is full of strange scenes. Many of these scenes make no sense.
But still, this film is worth seeing. Why? There are some unforgettable moments. The beginning is great if the man is hung on the tree. Then there are some glorious duels.

The question is: is the movie good … Yes. Is the film bad … so, too.
It’s all in one.

Tony Kendall and Claudio Giordana not say a word. On the whole film not. For this talk the enemy the more. These people talk and talk and talk. Even the end duel: Venantino Venantini speaks to much, during Kendall speaks not a word.

In general, Kendall: His character is built entirely psychopathic. He has a little dog, for he later kills. To this man is ice cold. He shoots a man in the head, while his wife is standing by.

Then the music. It does not fit the film. There is some circus music. And the music is always played when the movie has hard scenes.

I will not shake the feeling that this exaggeration of the scenes, wanted to Gora.
The film is a must-see. Not because it is a masterpiece. But because it is one of the most extraordinary films of the genre. Too bad that there are no Uncut versions.

Recommended if you like you embark on an unusual trip. :wink:

Haven’t seen this one, sounds interesting. Does anyone know if english version exists?

Never come across an english version…maybe a fansubbed version will turn up one day.

Yes, interesting.

But it seems that the german VHS is not the complete German version.

[quote=“The Stranger, post:16, topic:1390”]What is it?
What is it?
Yesterday I saw this movie.
And it was the strangest spaghetti western I have seen so far.
The film is full of strange scenes. Many of these scenes make no sense.
But still, this film is worth seeing. Why? There are some unforgettable moments. The beginning is great if the man is hung on the tree. Then there are some glorious duels.

The question is: is the movie good … Yes. Is the film bad … so, too.
It’s all in one.

Tony Kendall and Claudio Giordana not say a word. On the whole film not. For this talk the enemy the more. These people talk and talk and talk. Even the end duel: Venantino Venantini speaks to much, during Kendall speaks not a word.

In general, Kendall: His character is built entirely psychopathic. He has a little dog, for he later kills. To this man is ice cold. He shoots a man in the head, while his wife is standing by.

Then the music. It does not fit the film. There is some circus music. And the music is always played when the movie has hard scenes.

I will not shake the feeling that this exaggeration of the scenes, wanted to Gora.
The film is a must-see. Not because he is a masterpiece. But because it is one of the most extraordinary films of the genre. Too bad that there are no Uncut versions.

Recommended if you like you embark on an unusual trip. ;)[/quote]

Very good description,Stranger
’What is it’ were my thoughts,too,when i saw it for the first time.
Hope that someone rigs an uncut version of this,someday :wink: