Has a spaghetti western made you cry?

Same. But also Il Mercenario. Tears of joy :))

1 Like

Re-read this thread and Iā€™m surprised no one has mentioned Seven Dollars on the Red. I cried the last time I watched it. That shit is depressing :cry:

4 Likes

My Name is Nobdy ending is very tear inducingā€¦

While Iā€™ve never cried at the ending of Seven Dollars on the Red, it does certainly pack the kind of punch you would need to shed a couple of tears. Itā€™s one of Steffenā€™s finest moments on camera for me. A few of his Westerns ended that way where he or a supporting character mourns a passing, Garringo being an excellent example.

2 Likes

SWā€™s generally donā€™t bring me to tears, but thereā€™s a couple of exceptions.

I will admit I get choked up at the final duel between Lee Van Cleef and Giuliano Gemma in Day of Anger, I honestly didnā€™t want to see Van Cleef die in the end.

The infamous ending to Il Grande Silenzio always evokes an emotional reaction out me, but never brought me to tears though.

Gianni Garkoā€™s crying scene in 10,000 Dollars for a Massacre is a cry worthy moment as how he delivers on it resonates with the viewers. I didnā€™t cry myself I admit, but I appreciate the emotion Garko was going for, and made me an even bigger fan of his cause he was open to bearing his emotions on camera.

Only a handful of films in general can bring me to tears.

2 Likes

Great scenes you mentioned. That death from 10 000 Dollars for a Massacre made me so sad, I love Mijanou. I felt like I was able to mourn her there in that moment with Django when Garko was crying

The part that destroys me in the ending of Day of Anger is when Scott looks devastated, throws the pistol through the window and walks away hand-in-hand with Blind Bill. Itā€™s like Scott realized that even though everyone treated him like shit, he still killed them all and wrecked his home town leaving him with nothing left except one friend.

3 Likes

I have a love-hate relationship with Day of Anger actually. While I love Lee Van Cleef in the film, every other character is utterly unlikable. I like Giuliano Gemma for the most part, but he was totally miscast in the role of Scott Mary.

1 Like

Only moment I can remember crying over in an SW is in Four of the Apocalypse when the mother died after childbirth.

Who would you cast for that role?

2 Likes

That is a good question, and tough one too given the kind of character Scottā€™s written as. Corrado Pani comes to mind for the part as he could play a wide range of characters.

Tonino Valerii said in an interview he had planned on casting Lou Castel for the part of Scott, who wouldā€™ve been great in the part, but when Gemma showed interest in the script (and he was a silent partner in the company interested), the producers insisted he be cast.

Gemma doesnā€™t come off as the mild, meek, and weak type to me, heā€™s more in the range of a man willing to defend himself when need be. Had characters in the film like Abel Murray put their hands on any other Gemma character theyā€™d have gotten slapped around a couple of times and warned not to put their hands on him ever again.

1 Like

Gemma was very athletic to look like someone who gets beaten by everyone. I thought PLL would have been ideal for the role. He played these kind of boyish characters all the time.

2 Likes

Black Jack (1968) when they tortured Jack Murphy while they wanted to take back their reward after the hold up in the bank, at the middle of the Western

1 Like

Robert Woods got put through his paces in that scene for sure, seeing him as helpless as he was in those moments is enough to warrant a good cry.

1 Like

Yes, but for reasons you might not expect. The cemetery scene in the Good the Bad and the Ugly. So freaking beautiful, especially the score. Words cannot express how much that scene moves me. Leone wanted an anti-war western and goddammit, he got it. I got my 3 hourā€™s worth right there.

3 Likes