Guns, Gunslingin', and Hardware

When watching Spaghettis, I’ve always been interested in the actors abiliies with the guns, their holsters, and their techniques. Example:

LVC often wears his holster cross draw style.
Anthony Steffen often uses a black holster seen in many of his movies and never seems to twirl his guns.

John Philip Law is a real show off. Twirling, fast shooting, etc. Who’s guns, holsters, and style do you like the best?

Call me old-fashioned, but I’ll always favour Clint Eastwood’s smooth style with those snake-handled revolvers and suede (?) gunbelt. It’s partly because there’s a history behind them, having been brought to the sets by the actor himself from his Rawhide days.

Giuliano Gemma always looked convincing to me as well - slick without being too fancy.

Steffen twirls quite expertly in Two Pistols for a Coward. Its the only time I’ve ever seen him twirl before. He should’ve done it more often.

For my money I really love Giulianno Gemma’s style. He’s the best twirler in my opinion.

Eastwood was probably the most convincing. He was really non chalant, as if he was doing it for decades.

LVC is great because he’s more about the steak than the sizzle. He didn’t twirl alot but he always looked convincing. I liked how he almost never shot from the hip. He would actually extend his arm and aim before firing.

John Phillip Law was amazing with his rapid winchester shooting.

Nero was outstanding too. Especially in massacre time.

The style I hate the worst was Fernando Sancho. He had this annoying way of jabbing the pistol forward whenever he shot. I guess its his way to nullify the recoil but it looked stupid.

Outside of sw’s I really like russell crowe’s twirling.

I also tend to prefer traditional thumbing rather than fanning in westerns. We all know that fanning never worked in real life with those pistols.

Heh. It probably had more to do with Sancho’s predliection for over-emphasising every action and emotion.

I also like Nero. When he is in action scene mode, he fans his gun wit his fingers wrapped around the hammer and cylinder. Squating somehwat and his elbow extended into the air.

whenever I watch MNight of the Serpent, I always watch Askew’s abilities. He doesn’t seem to know how to do much but how he revolves his twirling pistol around the back of the holster to reholster his gun is cool.

I practice this stuff a lot with an old holster I have and a toy revolver from god knows when. It keeps me young. And twirling is easy once you practice.

I understand, after all, old farts like us, must do anything to keep our illusion of youth going :wink:

:smiley: I love it when Sancho does that. It’s like the bullets aren’t coming out fast enough so he helps them along a bit by throwing them out of the gun.

[quote=“alk0, post:6, topic:1719”]I understand, after all, old farts like us, must do anything to keep our illusion of youth going ;)[/quote]Old farts like you who are (C.) 23?

Yes, I am. And i like irony :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, anybody who likes Spaghetti Westerns never grows old. Just like the heroes in these movies. Who were also never young.

Yeah but it sure did look cool! :slight_smile:

I have a gun question. I was watching Five Man Army today, and was amazed by the very large long gun one of the five was shooting from the rooftop. It was a semi-auto, had a large box magazine, long barrel, and muzzle so large it looked to possibly be a shotgun. I’ve never seen anything like it before. Possibly Spanish American war era firearm? Any ideas what it is?

If I remeber correctly, it was a Browning Automatic Raifle (BAR).

If it’s the movie is historically correct the BAR was not made or used until WWI & was one of the main weapons used in WWII.

The movie is set in 1915.

Made in 1917, but who’s splitting hairs :wink:

Hands down, Terence Hill. Smoothest gunslinger in spaghetti western lore.

Thats one of the points,because i like ‘Massacre time’ so much

Though I like his movies, I cannot say Tony Anthony is anything special with a revolver.

I think that’s what sets his character apart in the Stranger films (and arguably makes him more attractive, or at least approachable) - he rarely faces off against opponents in a conventional manner, preferring to ambush his enemies or blast them with a shotgun, motivated in part by this lack of “skill”. For me it helps bring him down to earth, unlike the more fantastical Djangos and Sartanas, etc.