Guns for San Sebastian / La Bataille de San Sebastian (Henri Verneuil, 1968)

Database page: Bataille de San Sebastian, La - The Spaghetti Western Database

Bad Lieutenant’s review of this rather nice French/Mexican Cordon bleu/Tex mex western is now available in English:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Bataille_de_San_Sebastian%2C_La_review_by_Harm_Siepel

I watched a few years ago on TCM because I didn’t have anything else to do
And was nicely entertained …

It’s high time this movie was released on DVD.

Maybe this one belongs to the new EURO WESTERN section too

It’s an italian co-production, so i say let’s keep it here

I caught a few minutes of this on AMC. It sounded very interesting being set in 1743 or something. The one man magnificent seven aspect really fascinated me.

Well, Cut-Throats Nine is also a Spanish-Italian co -production and it is in the Eurowestern section. The involvement is mostly French and Mexican. French director and such with Mexican locations. Did you get this info from Weisser? If so, do I really need to say anything else.

No, i did not. It’s a well known fact. Take a look at this:
http://it.cinemotions.com/modules/Films/fiche/11269/I-Cannoni-di-San-Sebastian.html

and this:

http://it.cinemotions.com/modules/Films/fiche/11269/I-Cannoni-di-San-Sebastian.html

Italian databases aren’t they? I really need to say anything else.
And Cut-thorats 9 isn’t an italian co-production, pay attention to the credits.

I guess you’re right and the funny thing is is that I got my info from Weisser! :-[ :smiley:

I’m sorry if I sounded a little confrontational.

No problem. I see i was a little confrontational myself, but that was unintetional.

I’ve always thought of this as a Euro with Bronson just having the one sw ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST in his portfolio.

But i see we have RED SUN is also in this section and i assume CHINO is lurking around here as well, though i haven’t seen the latter.

GUNS FOR SAN SEBASTIAN is always being shown on UK TCM.Quinn is great as the fake priest but with Bronson so-so as the half breed. An engaging western with similarities to MAG 7 though not offering the same thrills. My rating 7/10.

You’re right, Lasky. OuTW is a SW (THE SW), the other 3 are none.

Damn, I didn’t find Magnificent 7 that thrilling… i’ve heard the soundtrack for this from Morricone, amazing stuff.

The Magnificent Seven is a stylish movie with a great cast, it’s great to see all these (future) stars together, somehow I even like goold bald Yul in this one, BUT I don’t think it’s a thrilling movie. It’s more or less the ideal western movie for Christmas time.

Guns for San Sebastian is much tougher and more thrilling

Thanks, looking forward to it now. Apart from OUATITW I haven’t found Charles Bronsons Westerns very thrilling.

Well I thought this was going to be amazing at first with the scenes featuring Anthony Quinn and the priest… but when Charles Bronson arrives it goes downhill a bit I think (though I like the Dam scene), I usually love the guy but he doesn’t seem right in this.
Anthony Quinn is great though …and very nice Morricone score, I got the soundtrack before watching this.

First time widescreen viewing for this one for me. I like the film and good role for Quinn who really gets into his character. Bronson gets killed just like that…! Would have preferred a fight with him and Quinn. End battle was exciting. Very rich score by Morricone. This is a wonderful score which really does rank amongst his best in my view.

Not a bad film, with good action scenes, but I don’t feel Verneuil does full justice to the plot or the unfamiliar historical setting.

Quinn and Bronson are both fine, though.

Like Ennioo, I think the lack of showdown fight between Quinn and Bronson was a missed opportunity but enjoy this one on the whole.

Does anyone know anything about this UK retailer: http://www.vicpine.co.uk/

They have a DVD of “La Bataille de San Sebastian” so I’ve e-mailed them to ask for specs. According to the website, they are legit with properly sourced copyrights etc.