God's Gun - MGM Region 2 DVD Release

Looks like the film was shot in fullscreen but with 1.85:1 ratio in mind.

[url]http://www.sundances.net/spaghetti/gods_gun_screenshots.php[/url] (not for modems :wink: )

The Suevia disc unfortunately doesn’t look good and is possibly a bad NTSC to PAL transfer. The running time seems to be longer than the UK disc only because it’s still in NTSC (even though framerate is now PAL :P).
If we remove logos and extra blackness, the running time for UK disc is about 1:32:43 and the Suevia disc is 1:36:41. The difference is pretty much 4%.
Could their source be one of the bad R1 discs?

Can anyone remember what was supposed to be missing from the UK DVD? Seems I didn’t save the info anywhere so I can’t say if both discs are missing something.

Btw, there’s problems with the Suevia disc starting around 0:22:40… (Lee Van Cleef confronts Palance’s gang for the first time)… there’s few minutes worth of no image, it just freezes but the audio works just fine. I don’t know if the problem is just on my disc.

The Suevia disc sounds terrible.

I have no specifics on what exactly is cut from the UK disc, but I think from what Bad Lieutenant has mentioned in a previous post it is nudity and violence towards women.

Thanks for the info anyway and do not think I will be making a purchase.

Is God’s Gun the only western where Van Cleef does not dub his own voice in the english speaking version of course?

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:42, topic:658”]The Suevia disc sounds terrible.

I have no specifics on what exactly is cut from the UK disc, but I think from what Bad Lieutenant has mentioned in a previous post it is nudity and violence towards women.

Thanks for the info anyway and do not think I will be making a purchase.[/quote]

YES DVD Makers if you want a SALE with Ennioo then the DVD needs :
“more nudity and violence towards women” Hip hip hip hooray ;D :wink: !!

The nudity is the main thing SD .

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:42, topic:658”]The Suevia disc sounds terrible.

Thanks for the info anyway and do not think I will be making a purchase.[/quote]

So is the UK disc definitely cut then? It’s an 18 and does say on the back that it contains “strong sexual violence”. ???

I’ve had this on Dvd for a few years now.

All it says on the cover is that it’s Digitally Remastered , and that it’s a Leisure Entertainment , Digital Gold Collection release.

It has Palance on the cover but the photo of him is more recent than the movie’s date, in fact it’s from his role as L.G Murphy in Young Guns.

I didn’t pay much for it new , as i recall and it’s obvious it’s a cheapo judging by the poor cover and it has no picture on the actual disc.

The weird thing is, I’ve never encountered the MGM version on ebay. I now own an Australian dvd of the movie, but it’s the same fullscreen crap that floats around on dozens of other versions. Would love to see a widescreen version, but the same goes for Fistful of lead, Savage guns, White fang to the rescue etc. These horrible transfers and pan & scan jobs do these movies no justice whatsoever.

I haven’t compared the scenes between the discs myself (too lazy :stuck_out_tongue: ) but as far as I know the early information about the cuts was incorrect. IF there are any cuts, there apparently might be one brief shot of a breast missing in the scene where there’s a scuffle between Palance’s men and the women at the saloon. I’m saying ‘if’ because I personally feel its possible the matting of the widescreen version might cover up the breast in question. Anyways, I don’t know for sure.

The flashback rape scene with some nudity is included on the MGM UK disc.

I think Sundance has answered the question Silver, and find his information of a very high standard.

Thanks for the info, Sundance. Now I definitely need to get it.

Yes, thanks indeed Sundance. :slight_smile: I’d been looking at the runtimes and was starting to think the disc couldn’t really be cut…(or not by much anyway!).

well then into the shopping cart with that fella…

Well…i picked it up a couple of weeks ago…but with my list, God knows when it’ll get watched… :stuck_out_tongue:

I know the feeling. I was checking my collection the other day and realised I have 8 or 9 unwatched SW’s to get through. I’ll have to send my girlfriend away for a week or 2.

Ohhhh…i wish it was only 8 or 9 in my unwatched pile! :cry: :smiley:

Well I watched this one before and is by far the best looking release of the film I have seen so far, and always forget in this one that Van Cleef is dubbed.

Sante Maria Romitelli’s Score is not bad and has never had a official release, so I only have this score on a bootleg edition which will have to do.

I wish i had such a pile :frowning:

I was trying to think of some smart comment about piles (haemeroids)but nothing comes to mind…

The matting doesn’t seem to actually cover any breasts in the scuffle scene… I noticed one very brief (couple of frames) breast shot in the Suevia disc and the exact same thing can be found from the UK disc.

(WARNING! NUDITY!)
http://sundances.net/spaghetti/screenshots/gb2.jpg

If anyone has more breasts in their disc/s, please let me know… :stuck_out_tongue: ;D