God Forgives … I Don’t! / Dio perdona … io no! (Giuseppe Colizzi, 1967)

For me it’s also one I can watch over and over again.

1 Like

Yeah, you’re in it!

Narcissism! SD, are you listening?

I thought it was very good, but it could have been even better. Colizzi tried to copy Leone’s style too much IMHO.
Rustichelli’s score was nice, I was actually positively surprised, as I often find his soundtracks (at least for westerns) very average.
I can understand I love you M.E. Kay, but for me it was a satisfactory entry and better than straight-forward Preparati la bara!
And of course Frank Wolff is great in this one - he was a truly great actor. Such a pity he died so early… :’(

It’s one of the spaghs I return to once in a while. Don’t know why, maybe because it’s the best Hill-Spencer for me (and I don’t hate the Trinities), maybe because it has the right SW feeling, and that is partly because Colizzi tried to film in the style of Leone (I don’t think he really tried to copy him, maybe in a couple of scenes), he was one of Leone’s better students.

actually, i always thought that Colizzi’s westerns are quite different from Leone’s

The film borrows loads of ideas from The Good, The Bad And The Ugly. Besides the direction is pretty similar to Leone’s, but nonetheless this isn’t a rip-off.
It just reminds me Leone a lot. As for other flicks of Colizzi, I haven’t watched it, I may view Ace High soon.

Like Mickey says it borrows a lot of ideas from Leone’s movies, in a couple of scenes (especially near the end) it comes close to plagiarism, but overall it’s not a Leone copy, it’s genuinely Colizzi. His other movies are flawed, Ace High is okay but overlong and Boots Hill is a misfire with a few good scenes (but some people, notably Stanton, think it’s his best movie)

for me is Ace High the best one, then Boot Hill :slight_smile:
well, it is maybe overlong (Ace High), but i like structure of this movie

God Forgives has also some flaws, it is not a perfect film, none of Coliizzi’s is. In the middle part, when T&B steal the gold and escape with it until they are caught again, the film loses its momentum, some scenes are comparatively weak and the ideas grow thin.

But there is also terribly good stuff in it. As is in the other Colizzis. Especially in Boot Hill.

I also see a lot of Leone in it, but he made the Leone ideas his own, created in the end his own style. And some of the most beautiful scenes in his film are definitely not Leone.

i second that

Hopefully, I’ll enjoy Colizzi’s other two westerns more, but they’ll have to wait a bit, some other SW have priority. I’m also wondering how Carlo Rustichelli’s other two scores are, especially since I didn’t like this one much.

I always have a feeling, as I said before, that his scores are for westerns average. However, soundtracks for Colizzi’s spaghettis are exceptions (don’t know why, but I really enjoy them). It’s a matter of taste I guess.

The guys scores are average for me, but I know a man who likes alot of his scores.

That’s another way of saying it. I don’t mind directors looking at Leone, as long as they make a movie that has enough elements to call it a movie of their own. In the case of God Forgives … I don’t that is the case, in my opinion. (In the case of the others too, but I think this one is the best of the three)

Locations didn’t look good to me in this one. Too much sandpit and gravel.

I watched the Dutch Film Works DVD in English.

All the virtues add up to 2 stars.

Liked this one a lot - first time seeing Hill and Spencer in a serious movie and I thought it was a good one. Hill proves once again that comic actors are often better at drama than dramatic actors are at comedy. Spencer’s presence is particularly looming when he’s on screen, he gives off a dangerous vibe. The villain, Bill San Antonio, was a refreshing change from the usual crazed psychopaths or intelligent but weak townsmen/bankers/businessmen: he’s a dangerously smart sociopath, fey but also deadly with his pistol. I imagine he came from an upper class upbringing but for whatever reason no longer has the money he once had, explaining his mannered ways but rough clothing and surroundings.

Nice movie or maybe average…

but good acting Frank wolf…

Above average film for me. One Wolff’s best characters though.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what version to buy of “God Forgives, I don’t” if you can only play Region 1 or Region Free DVDs/Blu-rays? From what I can tell, there are two versions sold commonly in the USA (one from Televista, one from TGG Direct) and both are of inferior quality. I watched the movie once streaming on Youtube, and really enjoyed it. I’d like to see it in higher quality.