God Forgives … I Don’t! / Dio perdona … io no! (Giuseppe Colizzi, 1967)

One of my favorites too. I think it was first non-Leone sw I saw. The Pairing of Spencer & Hill works already perfectly and Frank Wolff is better than ever, really show stealing performance. Top20 film for me.

Just saw this on Encore’s Western channel and thought it was pretty good. Spenser and Hill are always fun together.

Awesome SW.

This actually happens to be one of my favorite spaghetti westerns and it’s a shame more people haven’t seen it ! Don’t let the idea of Terence Hill and Bud Spencer scare you off, it’s not one of their usual comedies. It’s pretty damn serious. Terence Hill and Frank Wolf, playing a terrific villain, are wonderful in it.

yeah it’s one of my favorites too. and welcome to the board, Winterlude.

i’m especially looking forward to the upcoming german dvd (see database) which supposedly fixed all the errors of the previous edition

Thanks, Sebastian !

I have the dutch dvd version myself, can’t complain.

Hi there Winterlude, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the kind welcome, Yodlaf. :wink:

I finally got around to watching the Dutch widescreen of GOD FORGIVES… I DON’T, for anyone who doesn’t know this is the first of Guiseppe Colizzis three films starring Terrence Hill as Cat Stevens and Bud Spencer as Hutch Bessy (one of the first pairings of Hill and Spencer). The film opens with a welcome party at a train station, but the train rolls right on by the platform and into the barricade at the end of the line. Seems the train has been robbed and eveyone on board killed, except for one survivor who sneaks off in the confusion. We then cut to Hill in the middle of a poker game which ends in a brawl, Hill emerges victorious and rides off into the sunset. Enter Spencer at the same saloon, looking for Hill. When he finally catches up with Hill, he fills him in on the robbery and the man he thinks is responsible, Bill St. Antonio (played marvelously by Frank Wolf), who Hill believes he has killed. Through a series of flashbacks we see the shootout that supposedly killed Bill. After ditching Spencer, Hill heads back to the town where the shootout occured, only to realize wily ol’ Bill used him to fake his death. Hill now sets out to find Bill and his loot with Spencer hot on his trail. By the time Hill finds the gold, Spencer catches up with him and the two take off with the gold and bury it in the desert, only to be captured by Bills men. It all winds up with Hill, Spencer, Wolf and a mountain of TNT. I don’t want to give anything away, but Hill and Spencer do go on to make two sequels. ::slight_smile: This is a really good, well shot SW. I wouldn’t quite describe it as gritty, but it is much more serious in tone than the later Trinity films.

Fun Factor - 7/10

It actually IS the first pairing of Girotti and Pedersoli.
They starred in a movie together before (Hannibal), but they had no scene together and as far as I know, they didn’t get to know each other there.

Haha. I WOULD describe this one as gritty. It’s in my top ten. It is brutal. Just think about the various killings that take place in the cantina. This one also has a gritty look (to me).

What say you, Bill San Antonio? Gritty or not?

Gritty, definitely gritty.

And Hill looks more sinister in all 3 Colizzi’s than in Prepare Your Coffin

[quote=“Stanton, post:32, topic:607”]Gritty, definitely gritty.

And Hill looks more sinister in all 3 Colizzi’s than in Prepare Your Coffin[/quote]

And all the humor in this one is dark. No Trinity-eque humor here.

Hill looked kind of stunned in Prepare Your Coffin. Maybe it was that hat…

I agree about no Trinity-esque humor, and it is definitely 100% serious and quite violent. But for me it still doesn’t quite have a gritty feel or look to it. I haven’t put a list together yet, but it’s definitely top 20.

[quote=“Dillinger, post:30, topic:607”]It actually IS the first pairing of Girotti and Pedersoli.
They starred in a movie together before (Hannibal), but they had no scene together and as far as I know, they didn’t get to know each other there.[/quote]

Thanks for mentioning this, i’ve never seen HANNIBAL, i just knew they were both in it.

Me neither :wink:

Just viewed this one. Despite my terrible rental copy, I really liked this one. It has a different yet very very cool style. I’d say modelled after a 60’s spy movie. With Hill trailing the bad guys, informats, sneaking around at night, and a eccentric villain with many henchmen. Brilliant. I really love it. The opening poker scene is brilliant and has great lighting.

I enjoyed the opening poker scene as well. A well shot, fun scene in a great film.

I’m guilty of putting off getting this one because I figured it would be a dry-run for Trinity, and I’m no fan of the comedy spaghetti westerns.

Looks like the most common version is the one from Televista.
Anyone know if it’s any good?

I tell you this. It is no comedy. It is a great and serious spaghetti with and interesting plot that will probably remind you of a Jaes Bond movie minus the gadgets. Pure spaghetti greatness. A serious one.