God Forgives … I Don’t! / Dio perdona … io no! (Giuseppe Colizzi, 1967)

Interesting. We need to put this info into the db (edit: just did).

It’s the same with Bullet for the General. The longer international cut has an inferior dub to the shorter US one. Bernard Grant dubs Volonte in the latter, AKA the way it should be.

2 Likes

The dubbing thing in God Forgives is weird one. I haven’t come across with two totally different dubs so I don’t know if such exists but there’s slight differences between short and longer versions, for example in short version when Cat and Bill are playing poker Cat says: “I play cards, you depend on luck”, in longer version he calls Bill a beginner. Funny thing is that the finnish subtitles on bluray are translated following the short cut’s dialogue.

1 Like

What’s missing from the cut version and do the deleted scenes affect the film much?

I honestly need a version where the two dubs are mixed :joy: I usually watch the longer version, but some pieces of dialogue are better in the short dub, as already mentioned. Example: The scene where Hutch finds Cat’s camp (I don’t remember word-to-word but you’ll get the idea)

Long dub
Hutch: “I see you’re still playing solitaire, Cat”
Cat: “It’s a game you can play on your own”

Short dub
Hutch: “I see you’re still playing solitaire, Cat”
Cat: “Yeah, you don’t have to worry about winning while playing it”

1 Like

hm… I am overdue rewatching the trilogy as well. Too bad I have a box with all the German dubs and versions of this, but not both English dubs

Rewatching this right now (German BluRay). I have to say though, of the 14 minutes or so of footage restored back into the film from the Italian print, not much I’d classify as essential, either, so no wonder it had been cut to trim the film. Half of it would not be missed, but some of it is essential among other things to flesh out Bill and his gang.

Is it the same as the shorter US version? Sometimes films work even better in shorter versions but I can’t really see the point in cutting anything from this film when it’s already perfect. It would be interesting to a comparison to see exactly what they trimmed though.

Not familiar with the US version. This is 113:19 BluRay runtime

The international version is just over 1 hr and 47 minutes and the US cut is 1 hr and 37 minutes.

Then I am guessing the US cut is closer to the German theatrical version, most likely

God Forgives is better in the uncut version.

2 Likes

Looks like Hutch carried the chest full of gold all the way to my dad’s bookcase

5 Likes

Credit page has been added.

3 Likes

Good old ‘Henchman 2’ … the bloke from the opening scenes of '… ‘And for a Roof, a Sky full of Stars’ , who someone was trying to identify recently.

:wink:

Cross posting

1 Like