Giallo Genre (Italian Thrillers)

A few though by no means all of my favorites.

The Evil Eye aka The Girl Who Knew Too Much (1963) Mario Bava

Libido (1965) Ernesto Gastaldi and Vittorio Salerno

The Possessed (1965) Luigi Bazzoni and Franco Rossellini

Paranoia aka Orgasmo (1969) Umberto Lenzi

Double Face (1969) Riccardo Freda

The Forbidden Photos of a Lady Above Suspicion (1970) Luciano Ercoli

Hatchet for the Honeymoon (1970) Mario Bava

The Weekend Murders (1970) Michele Lup

The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh (1971) Sergio Martino

My Dear Killer (1972) Tonino Valerii

2 Likes

The big ones have already been suggested, but I’d also recommend What Have They Done to Your Daughters (1974) and The Red Queen Kills Seven Times (1972)

3 Likes

I didn’t care much about …Your Daughters but What Have They Done to Solange? is one of my favorites.

4 Likes

Ones I’d recommend that nobody’s mentioned are:

Devil in the Brain (directed by Sergio Sollima)
Arabella
Blazing Magnums (more of poliziotteschi, but with a whodunnit mystery)

I’d also second The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh, The Red Queen… and the What Have You Done… films. I liked both but I prefer …Solange by some way.

2 Likes

Seven Blood-Stained Orchids (Lenzi/1972)

More Lenzi but this one is no more than a mid tier giallo. It has all the right elements but somehow lacks the extra something it needs to make it fizz. Maybe it’s the cast. Sabato is a bit bland and likewise the female lead who’s name I’ve already forgotten.

3 Likes

Agreed entirely. I like it but it’s ultimately run-of-the-mill. It’s a shame none of Lenzi’s gialli were as masterfully crafted as his best poliziotteschis. He’d have probably been one of the best in the genre if they were.

1 Like

So Sweet… So Perverse (Lenzi / 1969)

This one was much better with lots of twists and turns.

1 Like

I actually love Seven Blood-Stained Orchids, Eyeball, Knife of Ice, etc. Think Lenzi’s Giallis are quite good!

4 Likes

I liked Eyeball too, thought it was also run-of-the-mill but I probably preferred it slightly to Seven…. Still haven’t seen Knife of Ice…had a copy for years but never got round to watching it.

2 Likes

Le Chat Qui Fume is doing A Whisper in the Dark. Still no spaghetti westerns in sight though.

1 Like

About the Lenzi gialli… I always liked Spasmo. Underrated film I think.

4 Likes

Forget about Spasmo, yes another good Lenzi Giallo…I think he held his own quite well in the genre personally.

1 Like

:cowboy_hat_face:

The ? Aren’t westerns from their cryptic descriptions on the site …

I’ve never seen any of them except for A Blade in the Dark. Is it all supernatural stuff outside of that?

I think he was good as well…just not one of the best. I think he could have been though.

What did you think of A Blade in the Dark? I have owned the Blue Underground DVD for 15 years have never watched it…wow I can’t believe it has been that long.

I can’t speak for all the movies shown there but Showgirls is absolutely terrifying. :laughing:

I am not sure. Perhaps Showgirls has some supernatural stuff.

So since VS is releasing this on blu-ray I figured it was time to pop it in. Decent but not sure if I will be in a rush to upgrade.

1 Like