Gentleman Killer / Gentleman Jo … uccidi (Giorgio Stegani, 1967)

good SW nothing much to see but it has some really good moment’s, too bad wild east version it’s one of the most poorest…

i was wondering, what others think of the ending of this flick
well, i wasn´t dissapointed, usually do not like it, here and there someone enjoys it
i really like the ending, and if the whole movie was like last, say, twenty-thirty minutes, it could be quite a favorite of mine
so, the end - music and picture are combined in truly inspired moments
wonder what people in sixties thought about that -well, drunk hero and did nothing :smiley:
quite a courage to end that this way

Not viewed in a while, so a re view I thought. At the start thought was in for a complex story, but turns out the main core of the film is revenge, which suited me fine tonight. Fajardo gets the award for wearing a super big hat this time around. Steffen is very clean shaven, and is a contrast to the usual western stuble look he has so often. The film is an ok middle of the road one for me.

The average things, but I kind of like it. I consider Fajardo’s role should be given more attention. Very good actor.

Not a bad SW, but not a good one also, one of those middle of road spags, well intentioned yes, but like I use to say - hell is full of well intentioned people.
I’m not much familiarized with Stegani work, but judging by this particular work, it seems that lacked the spark to reach a superior level than the one shown here.

To me the main fault of the film, is the lack of a real under siege feeling, the situation is there, but it’s never believable, and that it’s the director’s fault.

Antonio Steffen gives the usual performance a bit indifferent here, but he does look like a gentleman. The Spanish cast of the film is very strong both in quality Antonio Fajardo, and names, mostly due to Silvia Solar she was by then a strong name in Spanish Cinema.

But hey it’s a nice SW to watch, a well done one , liked the technical stuff, being pretty good most of the issues on that aspect of the film (camera work, etc), and also the soundtrack a very epic one, much different than the usual ones, contrary to the film.

Steffen could be wooden, but with so many SW with him as the main star he looked charismatic. Take Fajardo for instance a much better actor, but never the main star, that’s life.

In the end a 3 stars affair for me

What version did you view El Topo ?

A rip from the French DVD with triple audio:

Runtime..........: 01:33:10 Minutes
 Video Format.....: Anamorphic
 Aspect Ratio.....: 2.35:1

Yes, nice rip that one.

[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/vlcsnap2013052815h55m46.png/[/url]

[size=12pt]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Gentleman_Killer_(Shamango)_Film/DVD_Review[/size]

oh, the chimney scene …
i liked the controversial ending too, actually it is one of my favorite endings in SWs

oh, the chimney scene ...

One of the most crackpot ideas I’ve ever witnessed in a western

they were just tired when Steffen came about with just another rollover in mind

Re-watched it, well actually I shouldn’t with so mayn other films to watch, the Koch disc has to be blamed for wasting another 90 min with this near turkey.

The first scene is marvellous, and in the first 30 min I thought that the film might be better than remembered, but after the first third the film loses its secret and the rest is again pretty boring. Only that the ending offers a variation which comes as a little surprise in this otherwise mostly foreseeable flic. Which sets Gentleman Killer apart from the even more boring Apocalypse Joe.
The costumes, sets and atmosphere are very SW like, even the action is ok (apart from a few senselessly speeded-up scenes) and the Orff like soundtrack by Nicolai is also fine. So it all does look quite good, only that Stegani despite framing well crafted western images (something where our man Valerii mostly fails) hasn’t much ideas what to do with plot and characters. The Mexicans are mostly characterized by laughing very, very evil and otherwise only do some riding around with a lot of vamos on their lips and Steffen does what he mostly does. For Fajardo I repeat what I wrote on page 1: He got the best moments of the picture, but mostly restricting himself to only showing his pearly-whites is not enough to add this one to the gallery of his memorable baddie performances.

For the first scene and many good looking images and because outside the sun promises the summer I raise my voting to an overly generous 4/10

We’re having a bit of sunshine too, and some 18°C, what a luxury

I also rewatched this one. I pretty much agree with Stanton. First 30 minutes are quite good but then it loses the tension and gets boring until the end with drunken Steffen which is nice and original idea. As well as the ironic idea with the cavalry.
Steffen is Steffen even if they tried to something different with the dandy character with concealed derringer, it didn’t take long for him to change to normal Steffen style. Mexicans are annoying as usual, Fajardo does a good job though. And Nicolai’s score is wonderful!

Too bad there was no roll-and-shoot act by Steffen this time but instead we got Steffen’s hilarious chimney trick. Priceless!

My rating: 5/10

[quote=“tomas, post:42, topic:864”]i was wondering, what others think of the ending of this flick
well, i wasn´t dissapointed, usually do not like it, here and there someone enjoys it
i really like the ending, and if the whole movie was like last, say, twenty-thirty minutes, it could be quite a favorite of mine
so, the end - music and picture are combined in truly inspired moments
wonder what people in sixties thought about that -well, drunk hero and did nothing :smiley:
quite a courage to end that this way[/quote]

Totally agree, the last 25 minutes were inspired. Thought the idea of getting the hero drunk was a good gimmick, and loved the scene where the saloon girl is being slowly hunted by the bandit through the town, she is knocking on peoples doors and everyone is slamming the door in her face. Very atmospheric. The ending was interesting at least, and the final shot of Steffen walking away was great.

The build up, i.e. the 1st hour or so, was very mediocre however. So 3.5 stars for me.

oh yes, precisely - great shot :wink:

I really enjoyed this one. It’s just a pity about the Wild East disc. It’s probably the worst quality WE release I own. The cover is great though.

I just watched Gentleman Killer (on Youtube, shame on me) and decided probably not to buy a DVD. The “Orff like” parts of the music are OK but hardly appropriate and the rest incidental music is rather bad and not especially attracting, but the final minute of music is good.
The story is not so interesting but here Steffen changed expression a few times, even smiled. Fajardo was really different from Anda Muchacho Spara (8/10) where his character though was a lot more interesting. Maybe I would like this SW better in high image quality, but now I think a 5 or at the very most 6/10 is suitable.

Saw it two nights ago. I enjoyed the this one, I watched it on YouTube too so quality wasn’t great. I thought the music was OK and I thought the performances were good Fajardo stole the show, becoming more corrupt and evil as the film progressed. The ending for me was memorable because the Mexicans military are seen as equally honourable as the American military. I won’t give anything else away. :+1:

1 Like