Garringo (Rafael Romero Marchent, 1969)

3 stars. At times it dragged but last ~15 mins or so are really excellent. While I have gotten used to love Steffens wooden presence Peter Lee Lawrence is star here as vengeful bloodthirsty pistolero. Nice music too :slight_smile:

Watched it today for the first time and I liked it, especially those unexpected and memorable moments like:

• whore drowning,
  • perfumed cowboy,
  • chicken and feather,
  • Marinā€™s character Pete the bounty hunter,
  • loot sharing,
  • PLLā€™s whining at the end.

I find Steffen usually boring, but here is good. PLL is very good.
And Solvi Stubing not so useful, but very pretty.
Final showdown was pretty rushed and messy.
4/5*

Any screenshots from the Wild East and Explosive Media DVDs?

Screenshots taken from the 2014 explosive media DVD, Garringo der Henker ā€“ http://nerdistan.at/dead-sun-rising-heliosismus-und-schizophrenie.

The more I think of the changes in the Italian version the less I like them, especially the elimination of red sun and last twenty seconds.

I wonder if the ā€œBang Bangā€ scene with A. Lawrence (?) and Maribel del Pozo was inspired by the 1966 Cher/Nancy Sinatra song.

The Curious Case of Rossana Rovere

1963 to 1970 sheā€™s credited in six movies, ā€Žthree of which are SWs: Sapevano solo uccidere, Garringo and Arriva Sabata.

According to IMDb she plays Saloon dancer Meg (some time ago I corrected this error on SWDB, now IMDb is right too), redheaded Sarah and Sabataā€™s sister Patricia respectively, but checking photos one realizes that thereā€™s something wrong

The three actresses are regularly credited Ana Castor, Tania Alvarado (pics from Django sfida Sartana and Il corsaro with Robert Woods) and regularly credited Maria Villa (pics from Sexy Cat, 1973).:

And here is Rossana Rovere, not to be confused with Gina: pics 1, 4 and 5 are from Istituto Luce archives, 2 and 3 from Il demonio (1963) and Sapevano solo uccidere.

In Garringo she is credited only in the Italian version, maybe for co-production reasons, but in Arriva Sabata her name is on Spanish poster too near to Steffen, PLL and Fajardo despite the fact that also the 2nd female character Manolita is played by another actress!

Just try making sense of thatā€¦

So, although itā€™s hard to believe, the thread below shows Maria Villa, Tania Alvarado, Ana Castor, Manja Golec, Lisa Halvorsen and not even a picture of Rossana Rovere!!!

1 Like

I ordered the Blu-ray and it didnā€™t arrive. The seller refunded me saying they couldnā€™t send me another copy. Such a shame since I bought it cheaper than what it is selling for right now. :frowning:

I didnā€™t notice there was a blu-ray release. Though Iā€™m not in hurry for upgrade since WEā€™s disc looked just good enough for me.
Watched it again last night. Mostly as good as I remembered though the middle section is quite boring and has unnecessary scenes like the quarrel with the second bounty killer. The childhood scenes were awkward but at least thereā€™s the great jump cut from childhood to adulthood.

Was this on Movies4Men a few weeks ago? Iā€™m convinced I saw it listed on Sky and recorded it but I went to watch it last week but it wasnā€™t in my planner :confused: Iā€™m not sure if i was dreaming, if my Sky box isnā€™t working or if Iā€™ve lost the plot (or a combination of all three :smile:).

Starts off promising, but then becomes painfully average.

Although I like how PLL was dubbed by the same guy who dubbed Ringo. I kept waiting for him to say ā€œItā€™s a matter of principleā€.

I bought the spanish blu ray 2 years ago and it looks good but itā€™s obviously upscaledā€¦. I believe the german blu must use the same print.

Took me a long time to get to this Steffen/Peter Lee movie, but it turned out to be a pretty good one:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Garringo_Film_Review

1 Like

Marchentā€™s best western and also one of Steffenā€™s best. Pretty neatly directed. It has a great start, mediocre middle section and the ending is a mixed bag.

What I mean is the story is well set up in the beginning. The flashbacks are cool and so is Garringoā€™s arrival and his actions. Then all PLL scenes are all great. In the middle things get little mixed up with bounty hunters and there are few pointless scenes (the bounty hunter #1 story is redundant for the plot).

The ending scenes rock and suck at the same time. The assault on the stagecoach, insane PLL, crippling PLL hands (nod to TGS?), his begging for life and death (nice touch of irony here) belong to the former. The resolution of the strife between PLL and one of his henchmen near army stagecoach and almost the identical nonsensical lame scene between Steffen and the bounty hunter (what a deja vu) to the latter.

I particulary enjoyed the score which is simple guitar riff but very heartwarming.

I liked both Steffen and PLL. Both fitted their parts and there is great contrast between maturity of Steffenā€™s character and immaturity of PLL character.

4/5

Now I have watched Garringo for the first time, with a good image quality of the Wild East DVD which gives this SW a good impression. The main music theme is good and catchy but not absolutely top class and maybe less used in the second part but the ending scenes have some good trumpet music also and even more suited to the genre IMO.

The story is not extremely interesting but OK as is the acting. The two main characters are OK even if Steffen is a bit stiff as usual. His initial ā€œdetectiveā€ work in the movie seemed a bit excaggerated though resulting in maybe more killing than received information if I was not mistaken in my first view.

Some familiar Spanish locations in this case outside Madrid are always a plus for me. I may later rate this one as a (maybe weak) 7/10, and it feels comparable to Death Sentence, No Room To Die in entertainment regarding my latest purchased SWs this summer.

Watched this one for the first time the other night and didnā€™t enjoy it at all. I quite liked the plot and PLL, and the locations and music were decent, but the middle section just dragged on for what felt like ages where next to nothing happened. The beginning was pretty good and the ending was okay, but after how eventless the middle was Iā€™d kind of lost interest when it got towards the final stage. Bit of a shame because it could have been a good one.

Just watched the French dub of this-couldnā€™t find an English versionā€“and really enjoyed it. While I only knew the general summary of the plot, Peter Lee Lawrence and Anthony Steffen are both charismatic enough that I got the general sense of the scenes even without the dialogue. Watching Lawrence play a villain was especially enjoyable. While Iā€™d say Bill is right that the movie drags in the middle, his performance alone made it worth it for me.

Garringo has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etcā€¦

1 Like

There is now a new poll going for this one too. Head up to the original post at the top of the page to participate! :cowboy_hat_face: (trust level 1 and above as always, of course).

1 Like

Tough one for me to judge fairly. I love Peter Lee Lawrence and this is one of my favorite movies of his, but I donā€™t think most people would love it the way I do.

1 Like

Yeah, to me it was kind of a let down as I had higher hopes for it. There are much more of Steffen and PLL films that I like better.

1 Like

Wish it was more of Johnny and Garringo facing off The Good the Bad and the Ugly style. Wouldā€™ve been cool to see, but maybe they thought it would detract from the serious tone of the film.