Fury of Johnny Kid / Dove si spara di più (Gianni Puccini, 1967)

Maybe my expectations were too high? I think most will be fine with this, it’s just that we’ve seen so much better from flicks of these years. The English audio is not all that great. Will try to compare it to German and Italian on Monday. There is a huge discrepancy between English audio and German subtitles (which are most likely translations of the italian)

1 Like

That can happen … and the Koch media DVD was very nice quality - the Wild East, less so, but it did have the English soundtrack, albeit with far too much noise reduction, which ironically makes the audio sound worse … thin and tinny.

I wouldn’t be surprise if that’s where EM took the English audio from to be honest…

German review is ready

1 Like

I really like this film but think I’ll stick with my Koch DVD

2 Likes

Just received my copy in the mail and had a quick look through it. It is a poor job compared to the really terrific array of new blu-rays we have had over the past few years, but it is more than serviceable. Close up shots don’t look too bad but wider landscape shots where you can see stuff off in the distance is where it starts to become very noticeably soft and DNR’d. I’ll happily keep it as I don’t own the DVD but I wouldn’t recommend you upgrade from it if you do.

3 Likes

Thanks for saving me some money! :wink:

1 Like

Just given it a full watch so I’ll expand on my thoughts a bit:

I watched it on a big TV and it didn’t look too bad honestly. I agree with Seb that the biggest problem is the use of too much DNR which makes it look soft and lacks that lovely crisp and sharp detail that other Spag releases from Arrow and such have. It’s not awful but definitely not good but I kinda got adjusted to it after a little bit. My other quarrel is that fake film grain that is added, as it looks really noticeable and bad in some scenes. Although these are both big criticisms, the overall visual presentation is not bad - I’d actually say it’s pretty ok - it’s just that it could be better.

The audio was fine. Not terrible but far from perfect. Listened to a bit in Italian then swapped to English. I prefer the English dubbing for this one and I think it’s a pretty good dubbing job. There was some slight background noise/hiss on the English track but nothing too bad.

The film itself is pretty great though. Not a top-tier B spag but wholly entertaining and was still enjoyable on this rewatch. Obviously, the great ending is what everyone remembers from this and it is certainly unqiue. Still makes me wish Peter Lee Lawrence got a chance at doing a more prestigious or bigger budget spag, as I think he really would’ve done a cracking job.

In conclusion, I’d still say the EM release is worth a purchase, but I’d wait until you can grab it for somewhere around the £10-£15 range rather than the £20 or so you can get it for now :+1:

3 Likes

I don’t understand why this process would be used … what is the advantage, if any?

Here’s a comparison from a recent Spanish Web rip and the German BD version - not the exact frame, but it appears that the BD is slightly cropped.

2 Likes

Beats me :man_shrugging:

My theory is that it’s because the mainstream “consumer” (i.e. the masses that never buy Blu-rays) prefers a clean (modern?) image, and it could be true. But as I said these people are not the target audience anyway, so it’s a bit nonsensical. It’s the same with “cleaning up” audio with excessive noise filtering.

Viewing habits are outrageously diverse. More than once I’ve walked into a room where an old movie was playing on the telly. It was originally a film in academy ratio 1.33:1. The image was stretched to fill the 16:9 screen without bars, so every character was small and fat (or in the other case most heads were cut off). They also had the “intelligent frame creation” active which boosts the original 24/25p frame rate to 50/60 or whatever, causing the dreaded soap effect, and creating a blurry mess in scenes with fast movements (horses’ legs turn into some strangely morphing, glibbery blob, for example).
When I asked them why they watch films like that they didn’t even know what I was talking about. They had no idea what I thought was wrong with their image. I changed the settings so the film looked normal, but they went back to their settings because they preferred it that way…

Granted, they are no film enthusiasts, but they may well be the majority.

Not in the Blu-ray buying market, though, I’m sure. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ugh, don’t remind me about motion smoothing. It is bizarrely is set to ‘On’ by default on most new TVs and most people don’t know about it so they don’t turn it off.

After a bit of googling, it seems like DNR is an automated method to remove imperfections on an image, so it basically goes through each frame and automatically removes dirt, debris and scratches etc. I think for most new scans they use a little bit of DNR at first then for the rest they manually remove the rest frame by frame in order to preserve quality - however, this obviously costs more and takes way longer. If DNR is used too much it starts to remove too much, which is why film grain gets removed sometimes too.

So I guess the 4K scan of Johnny Kid had a lot of imperfections on it and EM couldn’t afford/didn’t have the time to do a proper clean up job and just used heavy DNR, resulting in a very soft and grainless image? Thats just my understanding of it though, I’m no expert.

2 Likes

Yes, DNR is used as easy way to get rid of dirt, or to get rid of film grain. Or both.

A heavily filtered film gets then a very soft look, can look very bad.

But yes, average film fans might prefer it that way, and would complain about visible film grain.

Oh man so true! So many peoples homes that I visited and they have motion smoothing on and when I bring it up they have no clue as to what I am talking about and can’t see a difference :smirk:

1 Like

Got mine today and compared it with the Wild East version, as you might expect there is a huge difference in quality so I am happy.

Can’t speak for the Koch dvd but I’d assume that to be better than the wild east anyway, so maybe not such a big difference there as others have stated, but then I don’t believe that one has English audio. So I’d say this is worth while either way.

2 Likes