Four of the Apocalypse / I quattro dell’apocalisse (Lucio Fulci, 1975)

(korano) #61

Again before watching this I was pitted against two polar opposite reviews. Weisser and others say it is one of the best. Shobary says it is one of the worst. I had high expectaions thogh because it looked like it would be interesting enough to keep my interest. I was kind of let down. Although I think the “road movie” aspect of the film is genius and very original, the subplots and asides that usually come with them aare very entertaining. I could say I have respect for this film in it’s difference but alittle boring. Also, I thought the locations were great but the music sucked!

(Tigrero) #62

Forced myself to watch this till the very end today. I did fall asleep but I perservered. Did not find it any more interesting than the previous attempt. Dull music, Frederick and Baird were annoying, Chaco was not at all scary looking (still think he looks like a 70s hippy from a glam rock band) and loads of cheesy bits. Sort of horror chick flick…neither a genre of which I am into.

(scherpschutter) #63

glam rock indeed, not progrock :wink:

(chuck connors brother) #64

It’s one of my favourite non-Leone… i’ve never seen another movie like it, I love the emotion of it and the way the story is stuctured. The best i’ve seen Fabio Testi, he does really well.

(Tigrero) #65

Ha ha!!! Well spotted :wink:

(Lasky) #66

2 stars

After a fairly decent first hour the film drags and suffers badly from when they hit the snow town onwards.

(korano) #67

Yeah, I must say, if it seems to be a road movie, they should have made it more episodic.

(Yodlaf Peterson) #68

[quote=“Lasky, post:66, topic:507”]2 stars

After a fairly decent first hour the film drags and suffers badly from when they hit the snow town onwards.[/quote]
Agreed

even though i like the film, i do prefer Fulci’s other two westerns over this one.

(korano) #69

Is Silver Saddle as violent as this one?

(Stanton) #70

No, it’s not.

More family friendly

(korano) #71

That’s strange. Does it have the black humour and stuff. After seeing this one I would think it would be hard to imagine Fulci would make a family friendly film. Not to mention his horror movies.

(chuck connors brother) #72

Silver Saddle has alot of action though and theres a few graphic bullet wounds.

(korano) #73

Ah! If fuckin love squibs. I don’t know why. They seem more realistic. Is there any slow mo?

(Stanton) #74

Oh really? Ha ha, then it slipped my mind. Maybe because of the child.

But Silver Saddle was nowhere as brutish as 4otA. Right?

(chuck connors brother) #75

[quote=“stanton, post:74, topic:507”]Oh really? Ha ha, then it slipped my mind. Maybe because of the child.

But Silver Saddle was nowhere as brutish as 4otA. Right?[/quote]

Nah it’s not, it definitely feels more lighthearted, I can’t remember any slow motion.

(korano) #76

Beyond Keoma, did any other Spaghetti use slow mo as much?

(Stanton) #77

Mannaja has “squibby” slo mo too. (Also the twilight images and the Leonard Cohen style singing)

(chuck connors brother) #78

At the moment I can only think of these Duck You Sucker, Mannaja, one shot in My Name is Nobody, and Four of the Apocalypse.

(korano) #79

Does Fasthand have squibs?

(chuck connors brother) #80

Fast Hand is Still my Name? I remember at least one squib in that.