Four of the Apocalypse / I quattro dell’apocalisse (Lucio Fulci, 1975)

Again before watching this I was pitted against two polar opposite reviews. Weisser and others say it is one of the best. Shobary says it is one of the worst. I had high expectaions thogh because it looked like it would be interesting enough to keep my interest. I was kind of let down. Although I think the “road movie” aspect of the film is genius and very original, the subplots and asides that usually come with them aare very entertaining. I could say I have respect for this film in it’s difference but alittle boring. Also, I thought the locations were great but the music sucked!

Forced myself to watch this till the very end today. I did fall asleep but I perservered. Did not find it any more interesting than the previous attempt. Dull music, Frederick and Baird were annoying, Chaco was not at all scary looking (still think he looks like a 70s hippy from a glam rock band) and loads of cheesy bits. Sort of horror chick flick…neither a genre of which I am into.

glam rock indeed, not progrock :wink:

It’s one of my favourite non-Leone… i’ve never seen another movie like it, I love the emotion of it and the way the story is stuctured. The best i’ve seen Fabio Testi, he does really well.

Ha ha!!! Well spotted :wink:

2 stars

After a fairly decent first hour the film drags and suffers badly from when they hit the snow town onwards.

Yeah, I must say, if it seems to be a road movie, they should have made it more episodic.

[quote=“Lasky, post:66, topic:507”]2 stars

After a fairly decent first hour the film drags and suffers badly from when they hit the snow town onwards.[/quote]
Agreed

even though i like the film, i do prefer Fulci’s other two westerns over this one.

Is Silver Saddle as violent as this one?

No, it’s not.

More family friendly

That’s strange. Does it have the black humour and stuff. After seeing this one I would think it would be hard to imagine Fulci would make a family friendly film. Not to mention his horror movies.

Silver Saddle has alot of action though and theres a few graphic bullet wounds.

Ah! If fuckin love squibs. I don’t know why. They seem more realistic. Is there any slow mo?

Oh really? Ha ha, then it slipped my mind. Maybe because of the child.

But Silver Saddle was nowhere as brutish as 4otA. Right?

[quote=“stanton, post:74, topic:507”]Oh really? Ha ha, then it slipped my mind. Maybe because of the child.

But Silver Saddle was nowhere as brutish as 4otA. Right?[/quote]

Nah it’s not, it definitely feels more lighthearted, I can’t remember any slow motion.

Beyond Keoma, did any other Spaghetti use slow mo as much?

Mannaja has “squibby” slo mo too. (Also the twilight images and the Leonard Cohen style singing)

At the moment I can only think of these Duck You Sucker, Mannaja, one shot in My Name is Nobody, and Four of the Apocalypse.

Does Fasthand have squibs?

Fast Hand is Still my Name? I remember at least one squib in that.