Four of the Apocalypse / I quattro dell’apocalisse (Lucio Fulci, 1975)

[quote=“happyfortune, post:40, topic:507”];D

Hi, people. [this is my 1st post here, btw.]

I saw this movie for the first time recently.

I must say it took awhile for Fulci to hook me…I was put off by Testi’s Stubby early but by the time Milian’s character entered the fray, I was hooked.

I don’t put much stock into that guy’s opinions. Better to have strong belief in your own personal assessments than pay his any mind.

;)[/quote]

Well said, happyfortune
I hope you pay more attention to my reviews here, but then again: don’t take my opinions for granted, always defend you own

Welcome to the show

I love it. Absolutely unusual with some horror element, but it’s stylish. Tomas Milian is just awesome and the girl is beautyful.

Thanks for the advice Happyfortune. Check out the topic for Weisser’s book if you want to see how credible I consider it… :slight_smile: But even if they are sometimes downright dishonest, his opinions were part of the public reception of the movie (in this case I also believe he saw it and liked it). I believe my post shows my personal opinion but I was mainly writing about my amused fascination with the movie’s ability to divide people, even Fulci aficionados (Weisser and Thrower), some of whom are fulfilled with “revenge, Fulci style” and some not. What I’ve yet to find is someone who considers Milian’s performance totally forgettable…

Could become difficult.

Maybe this is one thing (nearly) everybody will see it the same way.

I agree… This is a great movie. Really moody & with a strange vibe. Milian is amazing - and I’m not usually that keen on him - a very sinister performance…
The rest of the cast is also excellent, and the main characters are all very likeable.
Almost unrelenting in its moodiness, I can see why many people don’t like it. I also agree with the comment about it’s similarity to ‘Cut-Throats Nine’ - another underrated movie, imo.

I think this has to be my favourite Fulci movie - full-stop. Even when compared to his horror films.

The story had potential but the film is really so full of bad acting, it has no chance. Milan wasn’t enough to save this one, although some of the minor actors were quiet good.

Lynne Frederick sure was a cutie. Tragic in the movie, equally tragic in real life.

I have to agree to Jack Burns. The idea is good, it has its moments (Chaco, birth scene), but overall it is crap. The acting was bad, the music was very hippiesk and the story was silly. I’m sorry guys, but I think this is the really first time you and me disagree. I don’t like it. A Django Kill is ages better.

I like this movie but i agree, Django Kill is far superior.

I am glad to see people unafraid to post their dislike for this movie. It really is the worst considering it does have Milian in what could have been a great role and a director known for violent and gory horror. This is a let down as it has the parts to be great but the awful music, lack of action, and everything else kill this one before it leaves the stagecoach station…

saw this last night. i have heard it said people ethier love this or hate it, there’s no in between. i think there is because i am undecided about it.it is a strange film some of it i liked, some i found annoying.don’t particularly find it very violent and certainly nowhere near as it’s reputation.i agree with what someone else on this board said that tomas milian’s character is hardly in film. i found two of the characters annoying the harry baird and lynne frederick characters. the most amazing thing is that i think michael j pollard an actor i normally can’t stand gives his best performance here and fabio testi is very good.i was initially very disapointed with the film but scenes stay in the mind and am beginning to have second thoughts. will have to watch again. ???

[quote=“man with a name, post:50, topic:507”]saw this last night. i have heard it said people ethier love this or hate it, there’s no in between.[/quote]I wouldn’t say that. Problem with Four of the Apocalypose is that it’s so uneven. Some episodes in the film are very powerful but the whole plot and the point of the film is disappointing. I like this film but some times I just watch the beginning or scene or two from the middle. I enjoy it that way.

Lynne Frederick annoying? hmm I just watched Cormack of the Mountains where she didn’t have any nude scenes. That was annoying. LOL

That’ a shame…
I always feel guilty watchin her in 4OTA tho’ - 20 or 30 times so far. One day I must watch the film through! :wink:

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:51, topic:507”]I wouldn’t say that. Problem with Four of the Apocalypose is that it’s so uneven. Some episodes in the film are very powerful but the whole plot and the point of the film is disappointing. I like this film but some times I just watch the beginning or scene or two from the middle. I enjoy it that way.

Lynne Frederick annoying? hmm I just watched Cormack of the Mountains where she didn’t have any nude scenes. That was annoying. LOL
ok guys i have watched some of the film again and will concede it may have been the dubbing of her character i found annoying but i plead my innocence in that i was in shock after actually liking a michael j pollard performance! i certainly agree that some parts of the film are powerful and haunting and even moving but something about the film doesn’t gel.[/quote]

sorry this should have appeared under the previous quote.ok guys i watched some of this film again and i’ll concede that it may have been the dubbing of lynne frederick’s character that was annoying, but in my defence i was still suffering shock from actually liking a michael j pollard performance. i agree that parts of the film are powerful, haunting and even moving but something about the whole film doesn’t gel. i just realised i’ve really made a mess of the previous quote as it is there and i’ve repeated it here. doh! it’s been a long hard day, sorry >:(

It’s funny; some of the very things that are disliked by some are the very things liked by others. Sure I miss the “chonga chonga” Italian guitar themes, but I liked the “America” sounding music; quite a departure. And it’s attempts at “art house” were enjoyable for me. Looked at from a general perspective, it was a movie about redemption, and deliverance. Used a lot in film, but enjoyable none the less.

Hi everyone - this is my first post.

So why do I repeatedly see the X Rated Kult DVD of this film referred to as “uncut” ? Am I to believe the Blue Underground/Anchor Bay print is not?

Sorry if this question has been asked here before.

[quote=“TurboJoe, post:56, topic:507”]Hi everyone - this is my first post.

So why do I repeatedly see the X Rated Kult DVD of this film referred to as “uncut” ? Am I to believe the Blue Underground/Anchor Bay print is not?

Sorry if this question has been asked here before.[/quote]

Hi Turbo, good question and one I’d like to see answered too. I have the Anchor Bay copy and believe it to be cut. In the trailer, there is a lynching scene from the start of the film when the townsfolk decide to clean up their town. That scene doesn’t appear on the Anchor Bay copy. Does anyone know if it appears on the X-Rated copy?

My copy is on Anchor Bay and it states that it’s uncut and uncensored.

If this is not the case then Anchor Bay should be lynched.

I loved this film. Testi, Pollard and Frederick were great, though (as everyone else agrees) Milian steals the show. A shame he wasn’t in it more. The whole plot digression with the baby was weird but it was still a great film. I just wish they used that time to focus on Chaco.

I am a huge Fulci fan and this man has done it all. Lots of horror, but also Sword & Sorceror (Conquest), Italian Crime (Contraband), Western (this and Massacre Time), Giallo (Lizard in Woman’s Skin and Don’t Torture a Duckling) and even futuristic game show/gladiator (New Gladiators). This film is definitely one of my favorites.

I thought this was a load of old tosh and in the end had to turn it off before I fell asleep.