Four of the Apocalypse / I quattro dell’apocalisse (Lucio Fulci, 1975)

I didn’t like this one the first time I watched it…second time I loved it. It seems to be one people other than just me like more on repeated viewings.

Totally agree. Because I don’t like Keoma or Mannaja for me it’s the second best twilight spaghetti after California. I think I’d rank the twilights like this:

California-9/10
FOTA-9/10
Silver Saddle-7/10
Keoma 4/10
Mannaja 4/10

Not really, no. :grinning: I absolutely agree that it fails to catch fire in the way one might hope, and that Milian’s fantastic (if somewhat anachronistic) antagonist is woefully underutilized. All I’d say is that it’s one of those pictures which seems to weave its magic after the fact. It tends to stick with people, who subsequently become more appreciative upon a second or third watch. I don’t know why but that’s been the case for me and it would appear for a few others too. I still don’t personally think it’s a top-tier spaghetti by any means but it’s definitely got something about it.

Merely IMHO, of course. :+1:

3 Likes

But for me FotA got weaker on my last re-watch.
Yep, some (if not many) films develop on a re-watch, but here I couldn’t find again what I remembered to have liked some years ago.

Massacre Time didn’t get better either, but it stayed where it was, in the 6/10 region.

Can’t say I do. I prefer that Milian’s character is under-used…I think if he had any more screen time than he did it would’ve been unnecessary and a bit forced.

I love the cast, the desolate wasteland feel, the more unique story, watching Testi go from a gambler to your typical spaghetti vagabond and the Fulci feel. Massacre Time and Silver Saddle, which I’m both very fond of, don’t feel like Fulci films at all, nor does the first White Fang film (though I’ve yet to see the second). This one is Fulci all the way though and I love it (apart from the meat scene :joy:).

Again though, that’s just my humble.

Still need to re-watch Massacre Time via one of the blus I have…can’t believe I haven’t got round to it yet.

I’m fine with the Blue Underground version of this but, just wondering, anyone know what the German Blu of this is like?

I’ve the VZM 2-Disc Complete Edition. I’m disappointed. I was hoping for English subtitles because the earlier blu ray (release date August 31, 2017) does have Eng sub according to SWDb.
As well as for the DVD as for the Blu ray you have the options for:

• German language
  • Italian with German subtitles (burned in)
  • English with German subtitles (burned in)
    Maybe Sebastian or somebody else can add this info at the blu ray page.
    The picture quality of the blu ray also isn’t very great I think.
1 Like

Cheers @Meceita appreciate it. :+1:

I can second @Meceita, I was really disappointed with it as well. When I re-watched the movie a while back I watched the Blue Underground dvd because I found the burned in German subs distracting. I’d say just stick with the dvd until a better Blu comes out.

2 Likes

yeah, cheers @Bill_Willer I think I will. Was just curious as the price on it wasn’t too bad. Knew someone on here would be able to offer some insight. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, I am not a Peckinpah guy either - I find his films almost universally disappointing. So there must be something in that oeuvre that appeals to some and not others.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen all of his films but I do like him…can’t in all honesty say I rate him as high as a lot of other people do though.

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new “SWDb 3.0” format.
Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).
For example, we’re lacking info on any VHS releases.

POLL of the Apocalypse…

New poll has been added up above :arrow_up:

1 Like

New Blu upcoming: Quattro dell'apocalisse, I/BluRay - The Spaghetti Western Database

‘Four of the Apocalypse’ (1975)

I watched this the other day, as part of the ‘Savage Guns’ box-set.

I’ve only ever watched it once before, on DVD, years ago, and was left with the impression that it was a violent, repulsive, ugly, degrading pile of sh*t.

Having watched it again, I have to say that I appreciated it a lot more.
Good cinematography - not fussed about the music - Tomas Milian as a right, heartless bastard - Fabio Testi - Michael J. Pollard being as demented as always - and Harry Baird (fresh from ‘The Italian Job’ (1969).

Some gooey moments, thanks to Fulci, which are always appreciated.

Tomas Milian, as always, gave it his all, and was so bloody good as a vile bastard, that I almost found myself praying for his demise…

I hated the rape scene (as I do all such scenes) - thank goodness it was brief, and didn’t linger.

And last, but certainly not least, the very beautiful (and tragic) Lynne Frederick, as the ‘soiled dove’. A beautiful performance from a very beautiful lady, who died tragically young.

All in all…not a favourite, but certainly one that I think will will gain points in my estimation after watching it again with an audio comm.
It really does make a difference when you have audio comms and documentaries about a film…I think it definitely helps you appreciate a film more in the long run…

6 Likes

The best with Four Of The apocalypse for me was the nice Almeria landscapes that dominated the many outdoor scenes. The worst was the American style feeling and emphasized by the really, at least for a spaghetti-western, inappropriate slow theme song reminding of the dragging vocal parts in just some Pink Floyd music (but I really love their long instrumental (master-)piece Atom Heart Mother and several other early long Pink Floyd songs) crossed with the group America’s style or other similar main stream American music.

Generally it might be well played and directed and with nice cinematography, but the story is not presented in an attractive way for me (which also means I don’t think it is enough interesting and entertaining), often to slow - in this respect reminding of Red Sun. I do think it was interesting to see Milian as a sort of prototype for Captain Sparrow and the cannibalism was rather funny even if it maybe wasn’t ment to be :slight_smile: .
On the other hand the rather depressing scenes in the snowy town gave me an association to Brimstone from 2016 which I some years ago found way too dark for my taste.

Of these late SWs I prefer Mannaja (but dislike California) which is more of a standard SW, and of the semi-late Blood River, also with Fabio Testi, which appeals much more to my taste (and that one could also benefit from an uncut bluray).

It is very good that the Savage Guns have separate cases for the 4 different blurays, and therefore this one which I now initially rate 5/10 at the most will not find its place on the honor book shelf for the higher rated SWs in my collection !

2 Likes

What did you think of the actors…most especially Tomas Milian, Lynne Frederick, and Michael J. Pollard (‘Bonnie and Clyde’ 1967)?
I must also mention Harry Baird (The Italian Job’ 1969).

Have you ever seen Tarantino’s ‘The Hateful Eight’?
Now, that is snow-bound…but, (IMHO), excellent, but long film.

Other companeros will, I’m sure, disagree, but that what ‘SWDB’ is for… :smiley:

1 Like

Ha! You’re demoting it from its own boxset! :joy: :laughing: Tbh I felt like doing that with Matalo and just selling it on…there would be a gap in the box then though and that would probably irritate me more than simply owning it. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

3 Likes

F**k the irritation…if you don’t like the film, then get f’ing get rid of it. Life’s too short, and you only have so much shelf space…

In other words, get rid of crap from your life, whether people or things, that you don’t really need…

1 Like

Yeah, that’s exactly what I do. I don’t keep anything I don’t like enough to watch again. Its just that this one is part of a set is all I mean, it’ll take up the same space whether I get rid of or not.

Good sentiment though, Tosc. Something I fully support!

2 Likes