Four Came to Kill Sartana / E vennero in quattro per uccidere Sartana! (Demofilo Fidani, 1969)

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/…e_vennero_in_quattro_per_uccidere_Sartana!

Bad Lieutenant’s review
https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/...e_vennero_in_quattro_per_uccidere_Sartana!/Review

Other roles (directly from the closing credits):
Umberto Raho = Von Krassel
Grazia Giuvi = Fanny
Frank Fargas = Donovan
Gualtiero Rispoli = Tom
Paul Carter = Sheriff Benson

Daniela Giordano is not a member of the cast

A couple of screenshots

One of Fidani’s best westerns I think. :wink:

1 Like

Haven’t watched this film for a while. Here’s few thoughts I wrote in “Last western…” topic:

First half of the movie is very boring, usual Fidani stuff with bandits just riding around but latter half gets better and there’s a few very good scenes too, the duel in the end for example. And Fidani himself plays a little part in it too.

1 Like

Interesting, are you sure? What part?

Doesn´t Fidani wear blue shades in this one, or is that another film?

Here’s the pic:

That is the previous Passa Sartana… è l’ombra della tua morte / Shadow of Sartana… Shadow of Your Death.

It’s Shadow of Sartana… Shadow of Your Death where he’s with shades.
But I think he’s in this one too, can’t just remember in which role.

Johnathan do you have meanwhile access to the data base to change such things by yourself?

No, I don’t have access to the database (Login error - There is no user by the name “JonathanCorbett”)…

Hmmm… I may be wrong, but judging from the shape of the chin, the sideburns and the sunglasses…

Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s him also… he’s in a few scenes and doesn’t speak in most of them, he just sits at the head of the table silently. In one scene, he stands up when one of his fellows starts talkin’ smack. Miles Deem doesn’t say shit, he just stands up.

JonathanCorbett, where are those screens from? The version I just watched is fullscreen and the picture is not bad, but unfortunately whoever captured it from TV didn’t encode the framerate right or something and the motion is really bad. Would love to upgrade this one with a widescreen print…

As for the movie, another strange spaghetti here with the mysterious baddie only seen from the back (and when he’s addressing his crew from behind a lady painting with the eyes cut out - wait… what?)

Some very nice scenes scattered throughout a mostly boring plot, but the good scenes and the strange bad guy make it enjoyable enough.

Spoiler below:

Featuring the ultimate fake out ending. For a moment, I thought it would end on a down note, which would have been a much nicer ending. But instead we are treated to classic Fidani.

Also, can anyone help me out with the soundtrack by Italo Fischetti? I assume its recycled from other films, anyone know track names?

This is one of my Fidani’s favourites. I hope it gets a decent dvd release at some point.

All I know is the opening credits track is from Taste of Killing (1966)

I thought this was pretty good, decent action throughout… the guy behind the painting was hilarious

1 Like

Thanks… probably be easier to find that track name, can’t find anything about the music in this film.

edit that track is Nico Fidenco - Titoli

Really wondering about some of the others like the one with the spaghetti horn, which I believe comes on at the end and throughout

The screenshots are taken from a TV recording (Italia1), but image quality is not very exciting; in addition, the original opening titles have been changed.

About the final confrontation is interesting to note that the director - in contravention of the unwritten rules of the genre - has staged a duel without music, among other things proposing an ingredient (reflection) also present in L’ultimo killer by Giuseppe Vari.

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:18, topic:2868”]The screenshots are taken from a TV recording (Italia1), but image quality is not very exciting; in addition, the original opening titles have been changed.

About the final confrontation is interesting to note that the director - in contravention of the unwritten rules of the genre - has staged a duel without music, among other things proposing an ingredient (reflection) also present in L’ultimo killer by Giuseppe Vari.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, interesting note about the final scene- I hadn’t thought about the lack of music.

Could I ask where you got this TV recording from? I’d be interested in getting a copy myself… even if the picture quality is not the best. I have two versions, both fullscreen and one is very poor, the other is alright but the video encoding is off and makes it hard to watch without distraction.

Currently working on upgrading my Fidani collection for all titles

Nevermind my request, I managed to find another version of the same Italian TV recording I already have, but it looks much better

Also looks like this widescreen version is (maybe) a fake letterbox of the fullscreen:

Not sure though, as it could be a slightly different frame since the top of the image is missing a bit from the widescreen shot above

Also, this version that I have from Italian TV runs 1hour 24minutes, which leaves 12 minutes missing from the listed 96min runtime

This VHS cover shows a runtime of 100 min, which is even longer

I think the fullscreen version is open matte, so there is no fake widescreen (at least in this case). However the quality is the same: the differences in terms of contrast, saturation and sharpness are due to the fact that I slightly retouched the screenshots.

You’re right on the running time, in fact, many sources report 95 minutes while this version lasts 88 minutes (84m 30s PAL). In addition, as I said in a previous post, the titles have been modified.

I know there’s another version (Cinemovie) with Italian audio and correct titles, but personally I’ve never seen it and I don’t know the exact runtime.

The one I have has the correct titles, as well as the full ending credits and runs 84 minutes 23secs. Originally Italian audio, and English track added to it. It is sourced to a “TVDigitale” recording - I’m not sure if that’s the name of the TV station or what - I assume its just labeled as saying its a digital recording from TV. The logo of the channel is watermarked but I don’t know what that channel is. I’d agree with you that it looks like an open matte print.

1 Like