For a Few Dollars More / Per qualche dollaro in più (Sergio Leone, 1965)

4 Likes

How to look cool frying an egg! :wink: Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

They’re from Peter J Hanley’s book. Makes me wanna flick through it again.

1 Like

FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE 4K UltraHD BluRay now available for pre-order (to support the SWDb use our Amazon links).
Click here to learn all about this edition >>> Per qualche dollaro in più/BluRay - The Spaghetti Western Database

1 Like

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new “SWDb 3.0” format. Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).

Poll added (top of page).

Copied from SWDb General Maintenance:

1 Like

Hello everyone, I just created an account. In my opinion, Leone´s second western is also his second best, right behind C´era una volta. Van Cleef as Douglas Mortimer, Eastwood as “the man with no name”,(even though he is Manco/Monco) and Volonte as the sadistic El Indio. It features plenty of memorable supporting characters like the prophet, Groggy and Nño, and is just so rewatchable, with the beautiful score by Morricone being the icing on the cake. Just my opinion. Best regards to everyone, Roland

4 Likes

A film with wall to wall excellence from the actors, director, music composer, set-designer, script-writer, and bloody good character actors. What more could you ask?

Personally, I’ve not seen the above pic before.
It appears to be a reversal shot of ‘Manco’ at the location ‘Cortijo del Frailes’.

The last pic is from ‘GBU’…which looks pretty cool…

Please don’t laugh: Because the ‘Dollars Trilogy’ was so cool, I spent time, as a teenager, trying to squint in the same way, and have the same wrinkles around the eyes as ‘The Man With No Name’ (my absolute iconic, mythical hero at the time)…bloody waste of time that turned out to be!!

I think that…because, in ‘the old days’, viewers had to wait several years in between, to see the ‘Dollars Trilogy’ (and other movies), the experience was heightened to an extent that it isn’t now.
If you missed it, you missed it. Gone. Now you have to wait. It was no problem then, you just accepted it. You sat back, re-read the novels by Joe Millard etc…

Getting back to my teenager wishes regarding Eastwood ‘laughter lines’, I should have just waited for the years to catch up…got the wrinkles now, but not the coolness! :grin:

7 Likes

No laughter here mate.
I actually took up smoking cigars as a teenager for a while for the same reason. That was a short-lived bit of nonsense on my part thankfully but just goes to show how easily impressionable teenage boys can be sometimes.

2 Likes

" but just goes to show how easily impressionable teenage boys can be sometimes." - hmm could it be the influence from “our” deadly SWs that 15-16 years old boys are shooting and murdering these days in Sweden and even younger are willing to ??? (- rhetorical question with an assumed no as an answer - and maybe out of topic !).

I also practiced the Eastwood squint, and mailed £10 to an Exchange & Mart advertiser of a ‘Fistful of Dollars style poncho’. Nothing arrived, which was probably just as well.

3 Likes

I just rewatched this classic, as there´s nothing like rewatching a Leone film on a Saturday morning. One thing hit me: I was watching on the blu-ray, and although I knew it was noise-reduced on the audio (in addition to it being remixed), but I just tested the 1998 DVD after finishing the movie and oh my! The DVD sounds so much better. It´s almost unbelievable! I find it criminal that such great films get so poor audio on modern releases, but most people aren´t that critical and complain when there´s hiss on their blu-ray (to be fair, I wasn´t as critical of the blu-ray before trying out the DVD). Despite the DVD being cropped to get an even wider screen, the audio is MILES ahead of the modern one. Guess I will stick with my two-and-a-half decade old version for rewatches.

The film is a 10/10 and is only outmatched by Once Upon A time…

5 Likes

I watched For A Few Dollars More on Friday night and it is still just super.
By adding a second hero it helps move the plot and action along until the two men start to work together. All the small minor scenes are so well done that the plot never lags - the train scene, Mortimer hunting the first bounty, Manco fighting in the saloon against Callaghan and his men, great gun action.

However I think it is Volonte as Indio who completely steals the show - having a sadistic and unstable villian alternating between his own highs and lows without going over the top works so well. Great action with the jailbreak and Indio’s sadistic revenge against the man and family who betrayed him. The scene in the church as Indio delivers his homily with the organ playing on the soundtrack is wonderful.

Indio’s gang members provide some great performances. Pistilli is great as Groggy, the most intelligent one out of the gang who questions Indio’s decisions and works out his motives. Kinski as the Hunchback and Aldo Sambrell is super as the loyal Cuchillo when framed by Indio and his world falls apart. I was amused by the Sancho Perez character who Manco breaks out of jail to join in with the gang. He is present in scene after but doesn’t take part in beating the two bounty hunters. The bandits are great as the dynamic between them adds further interest and intensity.

So many great aspects. Fantastic backgrounds and scenery. Lovely looking horses as well. Mortimer’s personal angle - Van Cleef is great. Agua Caliente. The final showdown is superb, slowed down and stretched out with the magnificent soundtrack. Some great dialogue and memorable lines.
FAFDM has always been an all time favourite of mine. The question isn’t indiscreet but the answer could be - 5 stars.

6 Likes

I don’t know if it was written into the script or an artistic choice in how Volonte decided to play the role, but I always found it fascinating that the sadistic El Indio is haunted by Mortimer’s sister killing herself while he tried to rape her. It’s never explained, but I thought this detail - which opened up the range of high and low emotions - really made this one of the best spaghetti villains (and villain performances by an actor).

4 Likes

In my head, I have always imagined that the reason it haunted him was that he had fallen in love…or lust…or whatever feelings he was capable of…from afar maybe even to the point of lurking in the shadows stalking her. Once she married another man, it was more than he could stand so he decided to take her in what he felt was the only way left to him. When she elected to take her own life rather than be with him, it haunted him for the rest of his life.

I’ve often wondered if that was the event that truly turned him into the monster than he became. Maybe before, he hadn’t done anything truly criminal but his obsession with her pushed him over the line to commit this crime. Maybe he was haunted by not only her death but in the fact that it was that moment that changed his life forever and sent him on a path of no return.

Just some things I have thought about in the past…nothing to take too seriously. :laughing:

5 Likes

All of this is excellent fodder with solid character psychology. A prequel featuring El Indio as the anti-hero? I’d go see it.

5 Likes

Great concept. Everyone would pack into the movie theatres for it.
The prequel could feature the guy that betrayed Indio and possibly a subplot as to why Sancho Perez ended up behind bars.

4 Likes

As already mentioned in the thread, the comment by Clint that he is going to buy a little place and settle down sounds really awkward. :laughing:

In FOD he is a drifter with a mysterious past, he knew someone like Marisol once, and he doesn’t admire peace since “it’s hard to like something you know nothing about”, as he says to Ramon.

In FAFDM he is a rather ruthless bounty hunter, but we learn that he dreams of eventually having a ranch or something like that.

In GBU he is more of a con man who teams up with Tuco to collect rewards over and over, but after a while he doesn’t think that Tuco will ever be worth more than 3000 dollars.

The character is obviously the same, with some variation, but the films are of course not sequels, but FAFDM is the weakest film of the trilogy.

You also mentioned that Lee van Cleef looks much older than Clint despite not being that much older in reality. They probably made him look older in this film since he played an older character, Colonel Mortimer. Van Cleef looks younger as the Bad in GBU.

You and I see things completely the opposite. :laughing:

FOD is the weakest, by far, imho because it was a complete rip off of Kurosawa. I hate plagarism.

GBU, while a classic, was Leone’s ego driven attempt to be thought of as a master. It would have been even better with a bit of useless bits cut out. (Not a popular opinion around here on my part though).

FAFDM, to quote Goldilocks, was juuuussst right. Leone did everything right in that film and it is his best film.

Just my opinion. :wink:

4 Likes

I like the Catholic stuff in FAFDM. The bandits hang out in an abandoned church. Indio standing in a pulpit. The church organ in Morricones piece La resa dei conti. :smile:

2 Likes