Film tie-in books

Brilliant stuff Toscano! I think these Hammer adaptions are being re released. TERROR OF THE TONGS has some great lines like “Have you ever had your bones scraped?”

2 Likes

I loved the BBC2 Horror Double Bill. I would’ve been eight or nine years old, and on Saturdays my mum and I would go to my brother’s house to visit (he was in his mid-twenties then), and we’d sleep over on camp beds in the living room, and we’d watch the Horror Double Bill and, if it was on (and if I could stay awake for it), an episode of The Outer Limits too. I remember watching Night of the Lepus (Claxton, 1972) on one of those evenings. Also The Beast Must Die (Annett, 1974) and The Curse of the Werewolf (Fisher, 1961). Fantastic stuff.

2 Likes

I loved the tag lines the announcers would put on these presentations.

1 Like

Same here…I absolutely loved these double-bills, as a kid… BBC2 was the channel to watch on a late, chilly evening.

1 Like

I saw my first Hammer Films on a Friday double bill. SCARS OF DRACULA and FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED. I think it might have been ITV… Anyway these showings coincided with the release of the terrorvision video range.

41CWYCWASKL.AC_SY445

1 Like
3 Likes

I would have watched the 1993 revival. Thanks Asa. The Terror Vision video range started in 1996. So I picked up the Hammer Originals very quickly.

“Blood, bussoms and a novel uee for a coat hanger… It’s The Scars of Dracula!” what a hook!
Underrated movie that one.

WESTERN, and HORROR…

2 Likes

‘ROLLERBALL’ (1975)

Directed by Norman Jewison (‘In the Heat of the Night’), and based on a short story called ‘Rollerball Murder’, by William Harrison (1973), this film is at the top of my list for dystopian futures, and features as no. 11, in my top 20 films, of all time.

“'The Game was created to demonstrate the futility of Human effort”

I wrote to Ray Bradbury, about 20 years ago, and he very kindly sent me back an autographed pic of himself dressed as Captain Ahab, from ‘Moby Dick’. Ray Bradbury provided the screenplay for the 1956 adaption of 'Moby Dick., starring Gregory Peck.

2 Likes

Logans Run is one of the best Sci fi films. I am surprised it has never been remade.

Let’s hope that it never is remade…the original, with Michael York in his prime, and a scantily-clad Jenny Agutter, is fine with me.

2 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

Related video

1 Like

Fun podcast. I’ll watch the rest of it tonight.
Trying to downsize my library, I took a small bunch of these to the charity last year, but kept the canonical three

3 Likes

A colleague lent me the GBU one a couple of years ago. I quite enjoyed it and probably should look into getting the rest if it’s at all possible.

I see there are copies from around £15 - £50+ (plus postage) on ebay UK today. I imagine with diligence and patience they can still be picked up for less though.

1 Like

Thanks…I’ll look into them soon when I get the last of the films on my DVD/Blu shopping list.

Your nostalgic trip down memory lane, recalling the joy of reading film tie-in paperbacks as a kind, is heartwarming. It’s amazing how those books provided a glimpse into the cinematic world that you weren’t quite old enough to experience on the big screen.

3 Likes

Thank you, Kavencere.

An interesting name…where does that originate from?

May I wish you a very festive, hearty welcome to the ‘SWDB’. :smiley: :smiley:

I hope to hear more from you, amigo.

Happy Christmas… :santa: :wine_glass: :+1:

1 Like