Fifty Furious Westerns

A while ago I started a new series of reviews on [size=12pt]FURIOUS CINEMA: Fifty Furious Westerns[/size]

Earlier entries were Shane, High Noon, Rio Conchos, Fort Apache and Coogan’s Bluff

This weeks entry, N° 6, is the overlooked TELL THEM WILLIE BOY IS HERE

[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/tellthem.jpg/[/url]

[size=12pt]http://www.furiouscinema.com/2012/09/tell-them-willie-boy-is-here-fifty-furious-westerns-series/[/size]

As a matter a fact I think I like all westerns with Robert Redford, and only now notice that

He’s very good in this one; he’s not playing a sympathetic guy, his sheriff is a bit of an asshole, and he manages to transmit it perfectly. Maybe an underrated actor (he was very good as Sundance too) because he was so good-looking.

Yes you’re right in the end the guy is an overlooked actor, but the guy is a very versatile one, with a very different range of parts during his career and never needed to make fun of himself like other big names did
This particular western is pretty good, and Blacke looks better than Bronson. Jeremiah Johson is another that comes to mind.

[quote=“El Topo, post:4, topic:3062”]Yes you’re right in the end the guy is an overlooked actor, but the guy is a very versatile one, with a very different range of parts during his career and never needed to make fun of himself like other big names did
This particular western is pretty good, and Blacke looks better than Bronson. Jeremiah Johson is another that comes to mind.[/quote]

Jeremiah Johnson is a very good film, beautifully made. I guess it will be one of the 50 Furious Ones (I’ve decided about 40 or so, 10 places vacant). For the non-westerns I have a weak spot for 3 Days of the Condor. The opening, with Redford ‘missing’ the massacre thanks to a cup of coffee (if I’m not mistaken), is marvellous. Magnificent cast, with Dunaway, Robertson (one of my favorite supporting actors) and Von Sydow.

Interesting western Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here, but Jeremiah Johnson is my favourite Redford western. Bit of a sucker for snow landscaped westerns.

I’ve read some of these articles already and they are of the usual high standard we’ve come to expect from Sherp; I’m glad you’re taking a more “liberal” view of what constitutes a Western, as opposed to only including the classical Fordian type films.

I’m trying to alternate older and new reviews, but I’ve changed some of the older ones considerably
Liberty Valence, Butch & Sundance will of course also be added to those 50. Next one will probably a very early John Wayne

Redford wasn’t afraid to play vulnerable characters. People who learned lessons during the story of the film and in the end came out on top. He’s a dude in Jeremiah Johnson who becomes a legend. In Willie Boy he’s an average man who has a stuborn streak in him and sees the job through. Sundance was a great gunman coulnd’t swim. He’s also willing to play good and bad characters yet always has the audience on his side. I hate to call him a great actor but a reliable and underrated one for sure.

Haven’t seen many westerns with Redford, but Jeremiah Johnson is a truly remarkable movie, one of my all time favorites. I had no intention of watching it, I just was looking for something interesting in TV and turned on TCM. Jeremiah was running and that’s how I fell in love with this gorgeous flick. Moreover even my father was on Jeremiah Johnson in cinema, and he enjoyed it as much as I did. Goddamn, I envy him. :smiley:

Jeremiah Johnson is too soft, should have been done by a barbaric director. Good western though, but Pollack was a wrong choice as director for this John Milius script.

True maybe, but it’s my wife and daughter’s favorite western, and watching a western with the family is nice too

I am impressed your wife and daughter have a favourite western. As soon as I mention the word western to a woman…they are not to be seen.

My wife likes Leone (GBU is a favourite) and, more in genral, films with Clint Eastwood. My daughter, like most people of her age (she’s 29 now) hasn’t really lived up with the genre, and she told me she didn’t like Once upon a Time in the West (she had watched it with her boyfriend), but Jeremiah Johnson is a different story. I had watched it years ago with my wife, who liked it a lot, and when it was shown on televison a couple of years ago, she told my daughter (who’s not her daughter, btw) to watch it. She did and told me afterwards that it was one of her favourite films now.

My girlfriend likes Gemma, but also… Steffen.

And Harm Siegel

Hope so.

btw any of you guys are invited to contribute to furious cinema. the more the merrier

My wife likes soap opera, and romantic films whatever that is. Never quite could understand whar she sees in me

opposites attract each other