Fifteen Scaffolds for a Killer / The Dirty Fifteen / 15 forche per un assassino (Nunzio Malasomma, 1967)

This film has been the subject of discussion in the top 20 forum. So, letā€™s continue this talk without getting too off topic in that forum. Anyway, it sounded like an interesting film because of itā€™s unique plot and character study aspects. What do you guys think?

For more info visit:
Database page: Quindici forche per un assassino - The Spaghetti Western Database

Give The Dirty Fifteen your rating out of five stars!

0 voters

Really?
Then I should dig out my less than nice looking copy and give it a look see.

I think it was Silver who has it in her top 20.

Database entry:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Quindici_forche_per_un_assassino

Havenā€™t seen this one myself. Iā€™m not that big fan of Craig Hill but at least thereā€™s Aldo Sambrell and Fernando Sancho too.

[quote=ā€œBill san Antonio, post:4, topic:1288ā€]Iā€™m not that big fan of Craig Hill but at least thereā€™s Aldo Sambrell and Fernando Sancho too.[/quote]Is Fernando Sancho really in this film? I didnā€™t spot him anywhere while i watched this.

I didnā€™t either.

I thought this was pretty good, Craig Hill does an alright job, not one of my favourites though, sort of has an early SW feel for 1968.

The person who dubbed Susy Andersen did a terrible job in the english version, iā€™m guessing she was Irish.

This is a rather nasty and quite violent SW with an unusual story.

But the directing is too uneven and the screenplay too undecided to make out of the storyā€™s potential the dirty masterpiece it could have become. At least there are lots of interesting ideas and good promises, which unfortunately often stuck at the beginning.

My German version is a real mess as it was taken from a scratched copy full of unintentional cuts and maybe some intentional cuts for censorship reasons. There are about 6 min missing from the theathrical German version and 11 min to the Italian version.

How long is the English version and which format does it have?

Both Casadio and Giusti list it as a 85ā€™ movie, but Giusti mentions a Spanish version of 92ā€™ He also says the production was a mess, so maybe those ā€˜cutsā€™ simply are shortcomings caused by sheer ignorance.

On the other hand, Giusti says the direcor was a veteran from the Telefoni Banchi genre (comparable to Hollywood comedies with Doris day and/or Gary Grant), and was 73 years of age when he made the movie!

Never heard of it, you sure make me curious ā€¦

In the meantime I found a version of 1:36:18 (torrent)
It says itā€™s the English language version from Jerski
No idea where he got this copy from, but the title sequence apparently is in Spanish (Quince Horcas para un Asesino)

The ā€™ Jerksi ā€™ version is a fandub of the Spanish disc which is in around 2.0 widescreen. There are some sections that do not have english audio as the Spanish disc is longer than the old VHS print that was floating around before the fandub come along.

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:9, topic:1288ā€]In the meantime I found a version of 1:36:18 (torrent)
It says itā€™s the English language version from Jerski
No idea where he got this copy from, but the title sequence apparently is in Spanish (Quince Horcas para un Asesino)[/quote]

Most probably from the Spanish DVD and most probably uncut. I will try to get it in the near future.[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:8, topic:1288ā€]Both Casadio and Giusti list it as a 85ā€™ movie, but Giusti mentions a Spanish version of 92ā€™ He also says the production was a mess, so maybe those ā€˜cutsā€™ simply are shortcomings caused by sheer ignorance.

On the other hand, Giusti says the direcor was a veteran from the Telefoni Banchi genre (comparable to Hollywood comedies with Doris day and/or Gary Grant), and was 73 years of age when he made the movie!

Never heard of it, you sure make me curious ā€¦[/quote]

The film was for sure released in 67. The director was indeed a 73 year old veteran of mainly comedies who had made his first film in 1923. Since 1942 he made only 4 more films, the last being this western after a 6 years pause.

Some of the cuts are obviously the result of a damaged print, but there are obviously many scenes or parts of scenes missing. It made often a confused impression, but Iā€™m sure an uncut version will throw light on most of the mysteries. But it wonā€™t eliminate the inconsequences.

Scherp, what does Giusti say about the Troubled production?
Iā€™m somehow sure now that the end wasnā€™t the originally planned end.

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:11, topic:1288ā€]Scherp, what does Giusti say about the Troubled production?
Iā€™m somehow sure now that the end wasnā€™t the originally planned end.[/quote]

He says the production was an initiative of Centauro Film, Madrid, and that J.L. Romero Marchent was involved in the production. He also calls the choice for Malasomma as director rather bizarre, since he had no background in action movies and wasnā€™t really a cult director (like Lizzani or Vancini), but he states that Malasomma was involved in the production from the first minute on.

I donā€™t know, Giusti doesnā€™t say so, but I can imagine that Marchent was supposed to direct the film and that Malasomma (available anyway) took over for some reason.
He doesnā€™t say anything about the end either, mentions only the 15 scaffolds of the title (maybe they invented the title before they had a real script and then had to make up something to explain the scaffolds)

Anyway, Giusti says he didnā€™t like the film then, but thinks much more highly of it now

Half of Malasommaā€™s films were shot and produced btw in Germany, many of them in Nazi Germany. Yes, a bizarre choice.

The scaffolds are at least there, but not 15.
The ā€œgoodā€ people of the posse hang the already killed bandits on them. Another aspect which could have been used to better effect in the film. But we have to remember the film was from 67, and then not every SW could be easily as vile as Django or Django Kill.

I have this one too

Btw, there are many fan-made english redubs floating around, and I think that is just great and very cool

Great work by the ones who put these things together

Is there anyone else that thinks this poster is a My Name Is Pecos clone?

Yes, I agree.

The review opens the new spaghetti season:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Fifteen_Scaffolds_for_a_Killer_Review

Iā€™ve also written a new summary for the filmā€™s page:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Quindici_forche_per_un_assassino

The sidebar came to good use once again, this was a brilliant idea you had Scherp, it always looks good

Agree about the movie, it felt rather dull and old fashioned

Nice review Scherp.
I havenā€™t seen the film but sounds like one whose enjoyment could be based on how easily you can accept its inconsistancies.

Good review (as always). Have to say i agree with pretty much all the points you made about the filmā€™s shortcomings but i tend to overlook them, having a soft spot for this one, and itā€™s score. (Still pissed at the fact that the ost i bought didnā€™t include the Raoul song though!) And speaking from a female point of view, George Martin getting his shirt all ripped up was fine by me :stuck_out_tongue: ::slight_smile: