Favorite Comedies

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:38, topic:3268”]For our spelling fundamentalists (people like me):

http://grammarist.com/spelling/favorite-favourite/[/quote]

How’s about a thread called What’s your favo(u)rite spelling of favo(u)rite? ?

I vote for Favorite. Spares time …

How's about a thread called What's your favo(u)rite spelling of favo(u)rite? ?

haha…

I can’t imaging Jacques Tati being funny instead of boring…

[quote=“Stanton, post:41, topic:3268”]How’s about a thread called What’s your favo(u)rite spelling of favo(u)rite? ?

I vote for Favorite. Spares time …[/quote]

Who cares as long as both are correct???

Nobody?

Favourite
Colour
Neighbour

Real English spellings.

I’d rather we wente back to antiquated and overblowne Englishe spellinges with far too manye “E”'s in everythinge, like “Shoppe” and “Olde”. It’d be nice if we could go backe to sayinge “Ye” a lot, too. Verily, ye.

Spartan (2004) is a good unintentional comedy, i’m surprised people can watch that film without laughing

I used to prefer the English spelling, but things have changed over the years, so it seems:

Favorite
Color
but:
Neighbour
Labour

And note:

I’ve learned English as a foreigh language so I’ve grown accustomed to the british spelling. (that’s what we are tought).

Pavement
Sidewalk

Rubbish
Garbage

Boot
Trunk

Petrol
Gas

I’m a big fan of dialogue, but spellcheck refuses to let me enjoy its usage and always insists on dialog

The use of “dialog” really confused me when I first started using internet forums - I couldn’t fathom why so many people spelt it wrong until I realised it was the American spelling (this difference in grammar is not so well known as colour/color). Even worse (for me that is), is the plural “dialogs” that just screams ungrammatically correct!

Same with me, Jesse. Personally, I prefer English spelling which even looks better aesthetically.

We have in Polish the word “dialog” which is written precisely like in American English, so the spelling “dialogue” seems somewhat more pertinent for me too.

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:46, topic:3268”]Favourite
Colour
Neighbour

Real English spellings.[/quote]
I’ve learn English in school (based in Englsih form England) and with real English people in Algarve so really English spellings for me also

Another difference is that the Americans use Z instead of S in some words. i.e. Recognise Recognize.

We used to have two different spellings in Dutch, one ‘normal’ spelling, one ‘alternative’ (for a limited, but rather large number of words), and then we also had a so-called ‘progressive spelling’ (not accepted by all scholars). I liked that, if only because the spelling used by a particular author, told you something about his ideas (the ‘progressive spelling’ was mainly used by marxists).

Today we have only one spelling left after the spelling rules have been modernized/normalized. But I still use the obselete spelling for a couple of words, especially those derived from Latin or Greek, for instance: praeses (modern spelling rules require preses), praesidium, etc.

I like English for its classic orthography, words like leopard, lieutenant, draught, wednesday and jeopardy are wonderful. But, as said, I have no real preference for either British or American spelling. I also like both accents. The only accent I don’t like is Australian. I don’t know why, Aussies are wonderful people, but the sound of Australian English is wrong. Sounds like a Kingerau instead of a Kangeroo.

David Lynch’s Wild at Heart, although not exclusively a comedy, is a worthy mention. Think I may have to watch this again soon, actually

Bobcat Goldthwait (the crazy guy from Police Academy) has made several surprisingly smart & dark comedies in recent years:

Sleeping Dogs Lie - “a youthful, impulsive instance of oral sex performed on a dog which opens the door to a black comedy about the complexities of honesty”

World’s Greatest Dad - Robin Williams plays a failed writer turned teacher, whose son strangles himself in an autoerotic asphyxiation accident. Williams passes his son’s death off as a suicide, and unwittingly receives recognition for his writing through his forged son’s suicide note & diary.

God Bless America - Guy gets fed up with idiotic elements of modern culture and goes on a killing spree.

His latest film involves bigfoot enthusiasts. Its called Willow Creek and I haven’t seen it yet.

World's Greatest Dad

I felt bad laughing at times in this… the kid from Spy Kids is an amazing actor… and Robin Williams reactions to some things are priceless