Favorite Comedies

My favourite comedy of all time is Trading Places.

Never really gave much thought about comedies.

Always liked Peter Sellers comedies, thre’s a Spanish film El rey Pasmado which was fun, Bill Murray comes to mind What about Bob, Animal House, can´t really remember the last time I’ve watch a comedy

Speaking of Spanish comedies: Torrente. Just thinking about this character makes me laugh out loud.

Forgot about that one ! The main guy is so negative so yes I guess thats why I like it :slight_smile: .

From Beijing with Love
Bad Santa
All for the Winner
Super (2010)
The Matador (2005)
Grosse Pointe Blank
Dumb & Dumber
Analyze This
Cadillac Man
Dirty Work
Screwed (2000)
Meet the Feebles
The Last Blood (1991)
Story of Ricky (dubbed)
Tiger on the Beat
Lady Terminator
Dragon from Russia (dubbed)

I am a huge Monty Python fan so I do recommend nearly all their movies (Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Life of Brian, The meaning of life). Also Les aventures de rabbi Jacob (Louis de Funes) and I always laugh with the first half of Fantomas contre Scotland Yard. Amongst my favourites is The Mouse that Roared, the Trinity films and Pillow talk.

I tend to prefer comedy shows to comedy films. Don’t know what it is about the genre that lends itself better to the small screen than to the large, but there you go. As far as movies go, I think that Four Lions, Team America: World Police, Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, The Foot Fist Way and Brüno are among the funniest I’ve seen in the last ten years. Can’t go wrong with the Monty Python films of course. I’m also partial to a bit of Will Ferrell although I’m aware that many can’t stand him.

i’m with you on Borat and Bruno - actually i consider it ones of the funniest movies i’ve ever seen
i am also a bit of a Will Ferrell fan - Anchorman, Talladega Nights, Land Of The Lost … all pretty good comedies

I thought Borat was quite funny, also quite tasteless, but that doesn’t really matter as long as a movie is funny. Brüno on the other hand, was tasteless without being very funny, I only laughed two or three times, and it wasn’t more than a smile.

so i’ve been told - i’m probably tasteless too - anyway, didn’t see much difference between them, although imdb ratings are rather … different :frowning:

Meh, the guy has talent, but not enough to fill feature length films in my opinion. I get bored with him pretty fast.

Favo[I]u[/I]rite ( ;)) comedies? I’m partial to mostly pre-1940 comedians, i.e. Laurel and Hardy, the Marx Brothers, Buster Keaton, W.C. Fields and Bob Hope (who just about counts as being from before 1940). Subsequently, I would say the films of Woody Allen, Mel Brooks, Peter Sellers in particular as well as the unique, incomparable Jacques Tati.

I liked Borat and Bruno, but The Dictator literally failed to make me laugh.

His Ali G show was pretty funny, but the movie was horrible.

The Foot Fist Way is pretty good I thought, and also Observe and Report which is another Jody Hill film, basically the same story as Foot Fist Way but with a mall cop instead of a martial arts teacher.

Bad Santa is always good fun - “Want me to make some sandwiches?”

Casa de mi Padre is a recent Will Ferrell that kinda flew under the radar, but I enjoyed it a good bit.

Get Him To The Greek was surprisingly good, didn’t expect to like it at all.

Grandma’s Boy is funny stoner fodder, although seems to be the only decent film put out by these guys.

Richard Linklater’s 2011 comedy, “Bernie” is a pretty funny black comedy, and his older “Slackers” is a classic.

And a shout-out for immortal Groundhog Day with Bill Murray that never fails to make me laugh and Steve Martin’s finest: Dead Men Don’t Wear No Plaid.

[quote=“autephex, post:33, topic:3268”]I liked Borat and Bruno, but The Dictator literally failed to make me laugh.

His Ali G show was pretty funny, but the movie was horrible.

The Foot Fist Way is pretty good I thought, and also Observe and Report which is another Jody Hill film, basically the same story as Foot Fist Way but with a mall cop instead of a martial arts teacher.[/quote]

i agree, The Dictator is no match for previous movies, but some scenes made me laugh anyway

Observe And Report? hell yeah, actually i can watch anything with Seth Rogen, my favorite US comedian

That’s actually my favorite comedy of all time, John. A flawless stuff.

;D

hell, i have dvd lying on a shelf for eternity, i’ll watch it tonight!!!

For our spelling fundamentalists (people like me):

Groundhog Day: I think it’s more clever than funny. Last time I saw it (I think it was Christmas) I was nicely entertained, but had only a few laughs. What really is remarkable, is that they manage to surprise you with a few things, even if you’ve seen the film before.

I guess it depends on your preferences and what kind of person you are. For me, it’s astoundingly hilarious. Some movies are good to see just once, but no matter how many times I re-watch the flick, I always laugh like a retard. :wink:

Observe and Report is a good one, yes.