Fasthand Is Still My Name / Mi chiamavano Requiescat … ma avevano sbagliato (Mario Bianchi, 1973)

(korano) #21

I wouldn’t be surprised. If he’s getting paid in the thousands (?) for this movie, he can afford to be spat on.

That’s another thing, Cian. He isn’t handsome eneough for my antihero liking and his unbuttoned shirt must have got a little cold in that bleak Italian or Spanish weather. If he was a big ass muscle man, why didn’t he win all the fights? You see those guns he was carrying. And why the hell would you want to start a fight with that big galoot?

(Angel Face) #22

I bought a partially wide bootleg of this a couple years ago or so. I didn’t care for it much. I initially assumed it was going to be a comedy western given the title similarity to the Trinity film. The first 30 minutes or so I thought were pretty good, but I lost interest after that, and Berger seemingly firing off 20 shots from his gun during the finale was pretty funny. Ciani is pretty wooden in his sword & sandal outings, too. The movie didn’t retain interest for me to the end as much as the first half hour till after Berger and Co. leave Ciani’s character to die. As others mentioned, the score seemed better suited in another movie, and the sex scene was unusual for this kind of picture.

(Ming) #23

I quite enjoyed this. The lead actor was very wooden, but wasn’t bad enough to spoil the film.
Quite a nasty spaghetti in places & pretty violent.
I also liked the soundtrack, although unfortunately it didn’t suit the film at all.

(Silence) #24

Gianni Ferrio’s music is not that bad either. :slight_smile:

(Squonkamatic) #25

This is going to sound crazy at first but did anyone notice parallels between FASTHAND and … ROBOCOP??

First, Alan Steele gets his hand shot off, or at least maimed. Not just any part of his person but his hand in particular, and he’s shot by the head of the bad guy gang. He’s then left for dead and the gang goes about their crimes. Alan Steele comes back to get them and he’s all dressed in impenetrable black with that ridiculous beard, which covers his whole face like a mask. It doesn’t look real, it looks like a mask. He acts completely devoid of emotion even as they beat the stuffing out of him over and over again. Then in his final showdown with William Berger he has some sort of pistol contraption strapped onto his dead arm. Remember also that in ROBOCOP one of the recurring motifs is Peter Weller remember watching a western show with his son who asks if he can do a quick-draw with a pistol twirl, which Weller first practices before his maiming and is a trait carried over into his Robo re-incarnation. I have always thought that Weller’s maiming scene had more in common with a spaghetti western torture scene than a Six Million Dollar Man crackup.

(Phil H) #26

[quote=“Squonkamatic, post:25, topic:884”]This is going to sound crazy at first but did anyone notice parallels between FASTHAND and … ROBOCOP??

First, Alan Steele gets his hand shot off, or at least maimed. Not just any part of his person but his hand in particular, and he’s shot by the head of the bad guy gang. He’s then left for dead and the gang goes about their crimes. Alan Steele comes back to get them and he’s all dressed in impenetrable black with that ridiculous beard, which covers his whole face like a mask. It doesn’t look real, it looks like a mask. He acts completely devoid of emotion even as they beat the stuffing out of him over and over again. Then in his final showdown with William Berger he has some sort of pistol contraption strapped onto his dead arm. Remember also that in ROBOCOP one of the recurring motifs is Peter Weller remember watching a western show with his son who asks if he can do a quick-draw with a pistol twirl, which Weller first practices before his maiming and is a trait carried over into his Robo re-incarnation. I have always thought that Weller’s maiming scene had more in common with a spaghetti western torture scene than a Six Million Dollar Man crackup.[/quote]

Very good point Squonk. I can definitely see the parallels and wouldn’t surprise me in the least to hear that there was some influence there.

(p.pereira) #27

Just see this one! The movie itself its boring, specially didn’t like Bergers’s psyco visions in the final sequence, but the ideia of a gun assembled to the hand it’s kind of cool. Nevertheless such parallels wouldn’t occur me. Nice point of view!

(flynnparadox) #28

Just watched this one. It was quite surprising. For most of the running time, it’s a pretty standard revenge SW that may be more violent than most but has a bland lead. Then we get to the climax and I have to say, I blown away. What an exciting, entertaining, well-staged and fairly original showdown between our hero and Muchedo’s gang. Most of the running time, I was only really half watching, doing other things, but during the last fifteen minutes or so, I couldn’t look away from the screen. Awesome stuff.
Is it just me or does anyone else question whether the lead actually survived his initial encounter with Muchedo? I got a kind of Stranger’s Gundown/High Plains Drifter vibe right at the end there, where our wooden leading man keeps appearing in places he couldn’t possibly be. Okay, maybe it was just Muchedo going nuts or something but I don’t know… Anyway, a surprisingly good climax and great work (as usual) from Berger saves this one for me.

(korano) #29

I like to think it was Muchedo’s neurotic behavior getting the best of him

(flynnparadox) #30

You’re almost certainly right but it’s kind of cool that it leaves the question a bit open, since the scene is shot so ambiguously.

(korano) #31

true

(Dillinger) #32

IMO one of the worst SWs I’ve seen so far. OK, I watched it like one or two years ago, maybe I’ve seen worse since…
Maybe it has some trash appeal which I overlooked? This might save FASTHAND after a second view?

(flynnparadox) #33

[quote=“Dillinger, post:32, topic:884”]IMO one of the worst SWs I’ve seen so far. OK, I watched it like one or two years ago, maybe I’ve seen worse since…
Maybe it has some trash appeal which I overlooked? This might save FASTHAND after a second view?[/quote]
As mentioned earlier in the thread, it’s one of the more violent SWs, so that might appeal. To be honest, though, I’ve seen so many crazy Italian (and elsewhere) horror movies and thrillers that are incredibly violent so the violence in this one didn’t really give me much of a thrill…

(Dillinger) #34

Berger really starred in some awful SWs…

(I...I...Idiot) #35

So you might say it’s the Evil Dead of SW’s

(korano) #36

Or robo cop. Ciano’s acting is about the same. :smiley:

(ENNIOO) #37

Same here.

(davidf) #38

saw this last night, the last of my batch of SW’S ( thanks again Rev!) and it’s funny about the last two i watched" A Bullet For Sandoval", for me was the best.“Fast Hand Is Still My Name” was the worst of the batch. I agree with a lot that has been said on this thread already cheap production, bland, uninteresting leading man and totally inappropriate music score, i don’t agree that William Berger is good as the villain to me he is totally over the top.Film does have some violent scenes, which for me work the best, and the villain is brutal and nasty but played comically to me. The scene where the hero is spat upon looks uncomfortably real. has it’s moments but only average, would proberly have been better with a better leading man.

(ION BRITTON) #39

Yes, pretty disgusting scene. From the exploitative side of things this was a movie that I enjoyed. But I’m afraid it’s too exploitative to be stylish and great at the same time.

(Stanton) #40

Not a very exciting film.

Most things to say about the flic were already mentioned here:
Pretty violent, bland hero, cheap looking, lame directing, lame revenge story, acting is generally unimpressive. Berger looks bored imo.

The spitting scene will stay in my memory and the final duel was good. 4/10