Face to Face from Eureka?

Anyone know anything about this upcoming release?

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=224;5;-1;-1;-1&sku=523600

Eureka are usually pretty good with their releases (I have their one of The Big Silence) so I am hopeful this will be decent. Just nice to see it is getting put out here to be honest. Long over due.

It was supposed to come out as Blu-Ray but was cancelled because they couldn’t find good enough HD material. So now only DVD. There is some info at the Blu-Ray releases thread, but they were going to release just the short version of the movie at first (I think they had good HD material for that one). But after learning about the longer uncut version they moved the original release date from November 2010 to January 2011.

It should feature both Italian and English audio tracks with English subtitles. Or at least the original (cut) version was going to.

I wonder if Eureka hasn’t informed amazon.uk, because I still get emails ads from them showing the blu ray version being released Jan. 14th.

Thanks for the info Sundance.
Definitely one I’ll be looking out for.

So bullshit theyre not releasing this on BD.

Cannot wait for this release, one way or another.

thanks for that bit of info. i was seriously thinking about transfering to blu ray and getting a player on the sole basis of this release. i did decide against it but thats just the nail in the coffin. I wonder if Face to Face sells well they may consider doing something along the same lines with the Big Gundown. would be great to have a really classy english release of that. I was thinking of e-mailing them, expressing a interest but couldnt find the words.

I find it odd that they wouldn’t proceed with the bluray and just add the additional scenes, even if they aren’t hi-def enough. I mean, if they already have the bulk of the movie ready for bluray… Its not like the spaghetti community isn’t used to a few low quality scenes in the mix

I think it’s going to come out on both Blu-Ray and DVD, since you can now pre-order both from Amazon.

Does anyone know if there’s a region code for the Blu Ray?

Amazon is just being slow. The cancellation of the Blu-Ray was announced a month ago and for example Play.com has already removed it from their site.

The DVD has also been delayed and the new release date is 21st of February 2011. Amazon still lists a January release date while Play and HMV have changed it into February.

I think they want to represent themselves as a serious company.

What’s not serious about including lower quality scenes to make the release un-cut? Blue Underground does this, for example, and BU is highly respected

I know there is bitterness in IW fan circles with this cancellation but it is not fair to call them not serious. HD master does not exist for any version of the film and they have not enough resources to make transfer. Besides, there is question about current condition of the film elements.

They were only about 3-4 weeks away from the original release date when they learned about the longer version and moved the date forward. How is it possible they didn’t have the HD material ready for the shorter movie at that point?

And I don’t understand the concerns about the condition of the film elements unless somebody managed to do something to them in the past 5 years or so (considering the Koch disc from 2005 looks great so the print they used must have been in great condition as well at the time even if no HD master was created back then). Of course if they (Eureka) can’t access that particular print then it might be harder to find something in good enough condition.

Well they might have a slightly different kind of customer base though. BU & Eureka Entertainment that is. And while we SW fans might not care about different quality prints used for releases, the usual buyers of Eureka releases might? I know a lot of people are going to buy Face to Face just because it comes out from Eureka, and they wouldn’t touch it if the company behind it were BU. Not because BU would have a bad reputation but because Eureka (especially with their Masters of Cinema line) is like the UK version of Criterion or something. I think. Maybe. :stuck_out_tongue:

Regardless, I can’t imagine any film fanatic being dissatisfied with a product because it contains lesser quality scenes, in order to make the release complete…

If they truly couldn’t get proper source material for bluray, then it seems logical that the additional footage is going to look out of place on DVD also

Makes me wonder how many Spaghetti westerns will get issued down the line on Blu Ray…

[quote=“Sundance, post:15, topic:2582”]I know a lot of people are going to buy Face to Face just because it comes out from Eureka, and they wouldn’t touch it if the company behind it were BU. Not because BU would have a bad reputation but because Eureka (especially with their Masters of Cinema line) is like the UK version of Criterion or something.[/quote]I reckon your right there.

The way I see it is that you get “Criterion Snobs”, these sort of characters would dismiss them Udo Kier Warhol films as trash of the highest order if there weren’t Criterion editions of them. Stuck up cunts. ;D

So has it been confirmed that the blu-ray will be the UNCUT version like the one in the SERGIO SOLLIMA ITALO-WESTERN BOX SET?

Amazon.co.uk is now reporting that the Eureka DVD of Faccia a faccia will be released on June 20, 2011.

(I get the impression that there will be two releases-- a DVD and a Blu-Ray. )