Face to Face / Faccia a faccia (Sergio Sollima, 1967)

Milian would make me aggressive as well

The Cultcine one, which I just watched, has better audio than the SPO. There are a few spots where it gets hissy
 that’s cuz the new source had missing audio, so the SPO audio source was used.

A shorter version of the film was shown on UK T.V years ago and released on sell through video (the U.K pre cert was the full length version). Wondering if that is where the new source of english audio has come from for this second issue by Cultcine.

Does it fix the beginning scene where Volonte is addressing the class? The audio is awful for that part on the SPO disc.

Yes, would be good to know.

Yes, very nicely actually. The audio doesn’t dip out at all.

I have two greek tapes from different labels, the one is the full version with a runtime 111 min (although it;s 113 min that’s written on the tape) and the other is 93 min, probably that’s the shorter version you’re talking about. I’ve only seen the tape with the full version (not very good audio btw), so I don’t know which scenes were cut.

I rewatched it once more recently by the way, I was more annoyed this time from the fact that the whole idea and much of the dialogue seems very forced to me. They should have tried first to make an entertaining movie and then say what they wanted to say about violence in humans or whatever that was anyway. Too many hard-to-believe points in the plot as well.
I don’t consider Run Man Run any kind of masterpiece in no case, but as a movie it is much more entertaining than FTF.

Remember in the shorter version some of the scenes around the area when Tomas Milian is recovering from a wound are edited out.

There must be some more, it’s almost 20 minutes that are edited out. I’ll try to give a watch within the next weeks to see what’s been left out

Oh yes more for sure, look forward to your report :wink: .

Saw the first minutes, didn’t notice anything missing on that part of the movie. Then again I haven’t watched the film many times and I can’t remember every single detail of it. I will check the run time of the tape with short version again, maybe there’s a mistake on the cover.
Damn, if I knew to make VHS to DVDR transfers I would send a copy of that version to you guys to check it yourselves. It’s not a fave movie of mine, can’t say that repeated viewings are something I truly enjoy

I may have had to many beers :smiley: .

Runtime checked: a few seconds less than 93 minutes. It’s either your beer or I am completely blind haha

I’ll have to make one more effort, it’s almost 20 fucking minutes dammit, I should be able to spot a couple of missing scenes :-[

[quote=“ION BRITTON, post:87, topic:566”]I rewatched it once more recently by the way, I was more annoyed this time from the fact that the whole idea and much of the dialogue seems very forced to me. They should have tried first to make an entertaining movie and then say what they wanted to say about violence in humans or whatever that was anyway. Too many hard-to-believe points in the plot as well.
I don’t consider Run Man Run any kind of masterpiece in no case, but as a movie it is much more entertaining than FTF.[/quote]

Nice to have another RMR (semi-) fan out there! Sometimes I feel quite lonely

Theres heaps of fans though, its in the top 20 as you’d know

Good point! I guess I mean other people who rate it above Face To Face.

Actually in my top-20 I put it at #11 above The Big Gundown at #13 (FTF didn’t qualify), but I expect there to be few people who agree with me on that!

I easily agree.
TBG and RMR are pretty close for me in terms of quality, while I think that FtF, albeit a good and entertaining western, has several flaws. And is not half as intelligent as many people like to think.

The story in Face To Face is perhaps a bit clichéd and predictable

But I think the atmosphere in this film is fascinating

There are many great scenes, like the duel between Brad Fletcher and Beauregard Bennet, and the end scenes in the desert

Definitely one of the classics after all

Story aside, there are three parts I like:

1. The shot when Beauregard’s gang member jumps round to reveal Brad behind him saying he’d slept with his woman.
  2. The sequence where Brad narrates how the heist will go down.
  3. The final showdown in the desert

However, none are truly spectacular and the whole thing lacks the cinematic style of RMR and particularly the end of TBG. In an interview, Sollima said that in retrospect maybe he should have done a Cuchillo trilogy rather than have done FTF with the Beauregard character. Perhaps then he could have created an iconic character for Milian like Leone did for Eastwood in the Dollars trilogy.

Great scene when that young mexican boy is shot and dies in the arms of Beaureguard.