Explosive Media

They are the cream of the crop in my opinion. I doubt these films will ever get a better treatment than the one Explosive is providing.

2 Likes

Recently I saw Dead Men Don’t Count.
The English audio was not matching the English subs.
It was totally different (probably made for the Italian soundtrack). But this was annoying to me.
The other explosive media releases I still have to watch.

1 Like

But that’s how subs should be, else they would be dubtitles :slight_smile:

1 Like

Depends on the type of subs. I always appreciate the inclusion of hoh subs.

Explosive Media do fantastic work. I am about to go put in an order right now for Tony Arzenta!!!

I like the Explosive Media releases a lot, I think I have every SW Medaibook/Digibook they’ve released so far, I just need to pick up Minnesota Clay and Long Days of Vengeance. I do wish they did the booklets in English though as I can’t read a lick of German, but other than that, no complaints.

I haven’t checked out my copy of Dead Men Don’t Count yet, saving it for Spagvember Fest, but I do believe Explosive Media is going the route of the English subtitles being translations of the Italian track, which is my preference to be honest. I know with Massacre Time the subtitles were based off of the English dub done for the English speakers of Europe. I believe that dub follows the original Italian track very closely so fans can technically view them as either of the two.

1 Like

It should be the only route really. Especially when you consider an accurate, non clumsy English translation of the Italian track should be the most straightforward element of most SW releases. Sticking dubtitles on the Italian track is simply the lazy option.

4 Likes

I read a reaction on another forum, the picture transfer of Arizona Colt is supposed to be really great. However, the seems to be at least a small piece of footage missing towards the end, and there’s reported problems with the pitch of the German dub… (again)… waiting for more confirmations

Do you have any idea what exactly? I could check for you tomorrow on mine (it came the other day) if I know what I’m looking for.

It was in the dirty pictures forum thread on upcoming titles. I will paste it later.

Update:
According to Arizona Colt at the DP Forum , rough translation:

At least one short sequence seems to be missing that was included on the Wild East BluRay and the Savoy DVD. It is towards the end:

After returning from Blackstone Hill, Arizona faces the entire Gordon gang on the street. After killing the first few bandits, he ducks behind a wagon and reloads. Four more bandits charge him, he kills them. Then a fifth cuts the corner of a house and gets killed, too. On the Explosive Media BluRay only the last one can be seen and the shot is heard. Then there is a sudden cut. The other releases show at least another two or three seconds of the bandit collapsing, EM’s release is missing that (Savoy DVD timecode 1:41:10)

1 Like

Okay cool…I’m off work tomorrow so I’ll have a look.

That sudden cut (involving José Manuel Martín) is also present in the Italian Eagle Pictures DVD.

1 Like

Just checked and I can confirm that shot is indeed missing. Still, I think it’s a small price to pay for better picture quality and Italian audio with English subs, and that’s coming from someone who has defended Wild East since their closing :+1:

1 Like

Which fits because EM has the original Italian uncut version and the rest may have a slightly alternate French cut of it. Anyways, EM is the longest version and a gorgeous looking 4K scan from the original camera negative

Edit: an old movie power DVD in Germany was also missing those few frames (and a bit more) Arizona Colt - Schnittbericht: US-DVD (Wild East) (Schnittberichte.com)

1 Like

Long days of vengeance specs verified complete in the database. Watching it right now. Also added amazon UK links to the listing.

2 Likes

There’s also a second less relevant microcut, when after killing a man and extinguishing a candle the preacher played by Pietro Tordi makes the sign of the cross (96:40).

If I remember correctly the Wild East release used an Italian copy… The missing seconds are also present in the shorter French cut (the movie is an Italian-French co-production).

1 Like

yea schnittberichte has the detailed cut comparisons. i linked them in the database

I wanted to say how impressed I’ve been lately with these recent mediabook style releases from explosive. The two most recent ones finally arrived, and looking at them all together now I really am blown away by what they have achieved. I know their other previous releases have also been excellent, and the standard Blu Ray slim cases are something I am usually over the moon with, but I don’t know if its just because it is something a bit different but I really am loving theses mediabooks more and more. It just seems so much care has been put into them, and to have two options for covers is also a nice touch. I think some of the ones they have chosen have also been great choices for the Blu Ray treatment.

All in all, I think they have been some of the best releases of the year for us here, with six great films added to Blu Ray, and two at the back half of last year. It feels like it has become somewhat of an unofficial series of releases similar to that of Koch’s allarrabbiata line. Does anyone know if these will be continuing in a similar fashion, and are there any plans to continue on this line of releases next year? I would be really interested to know, as I’m sure a lot of you have also been loving these releases.

6 Likes

I spontaneously grabbed my phone and took a video of them all…

4 Likes