El Topo (Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1970)

Thats his western right? Anyone seen it? I was going to buy it but then I found out on imdb its quite disturbing… anyone?

since it’s a film made in mexico it’s not a spaghetti western.

Well that’s me told!

This is one of my all-time favorite films. It’s a very strange movie. Something of a mixture of spaghetti western, Tod Browning’s Freaks, Bunuel’s surreal films and epic bible movies.

But not really a spaghetti western…

1 of my all-time fav’s too.

Pretty bizarre film.

I enjoyed it but I haven’t got the foggiest of what it’s about or supposed to mean.

I’ve been dying to see this movie for a long time but cant seem to find It at my movie store. You should watch " Midnight Movies: From the Margin to the Mainstream " before you buy It to see If you like It. [url]http://imdb.com/title/tt0457414/[/url]

It comes on Encore sometimes.

Good News (to me anyway) Its rumored that Criterion could be releasing El Topo.

‘El Topo’ is by no means a SW !!!

It’s extremely bizzare, you just can’t figure out what it’s all about !!!
I like that flic because it is sooo odd. It’s worth hunting down but don’t be disappointed 'cause it’s a very unusual kind of flic. You will be confused !!!

Yeah Im thinking about getting the Raro version of el topo with original langage and english subs

The only Jordovosky film i have seen so far is “SANTA SANGRE” wich i found bizzare but i did enjoy it.
I do plan to get around to watching “EL TOPO”, ive heard that “THE HOLY MOUNTAIN” is supposed to be quite good aswell.

Well I heard Criterion Is gonna release El Topo and The Holy Mountain In a box set.

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:12, topic:45”]The only Jordovosky film i have seen so far is “SANTA SANGRE” wich i found bizzare but i did enjoy it.
I do plan to get around to watching “EL TOPO”, ive heard that “THE HOLY MOUNTAIN” is supposed to be quite good aswell.[/quote]
And Santa Sangre is his most normal film (well actually he did direct also Rainbow Thief and Tusk but these aren’t normally considered as a true “Jodo-films”). El Topo and especially The Holy Mountain are something which will really blow your mind. Full of violence, symbolism, surreal images and just loads of bizarre stuff. His first film Fando and Lis is wonderful too.

Too bad that Jodorowsky haven’t made any more films since early 90’s. He’s been planning on making sequel to El Topo as well as some other movies too but I guess nobody’s willing to finance them.

Check out this wonderful clip:

He has such a great stories. And I love his accent.

Oh, there might be some spoilers!!!

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:15, topic:45”]Check out this wonderful clip:

He has such a great stories. And I love his accent.

Oh, there might be some spoilers!!![/quote]
WOW! these fillms look wicked!
i will definately be getting the criterions when they come out ;D

I haven’t seen this film, but I’ve read that there is a lot of cruelty towards animals in it, is this true?

And another thing, this is a mexican western, where there any more westerns produced in mexico, more in the normal style?

correct me If Im wrong but didnt “Alexandro Jordovsky” Write,direct,act,and produce this movie. If so thats amazing.

It was produced by Roberto Viskin but Jodorowsky (It’s NOT Jordovsky) did the other things you mentioned and he also made the music of the film.

I can’t really remember anything bad (or at least there’s nothing in Cannibal Holocaust style) but there is some slaughtered animals in some scenes. In one scene there’s lots (and I mean lots!) of dead rabbits. Jodorowsky and other founders of the Panic-movement weren’t really concerned about the animal-rights, I suppose. Viva la Muerte by Fernando Arrabal (he wrote the play Fando and Lis) has lots of animal cruelty. But I don’t mind killing of animal (well, it’s not pleasant thing to watch but that’s the whole point) if it’s there for a reason. if it’s just for exploitation or for shock value it’s another thing.

When is it a reason to kill an animal for real on a movie set?