[DVD] Latest and Upcoming Releases

The link doesn’t work for me?

This just screams of those shitty grindhouse video asia releases lol.

From Frolic Pictures’ website: “Just pop the DVD in and let it play, thanks to Frolic’s clever auto-starting video discs. It’s like there’s a projectionist grinding out rare film prints for you at your leisure.”

2 Likes

That’s an interesting way of saying “we’re too cheap to include extras or pay someone to design a menu”

3 Likes

An early Euro-Western will be released on dvd in Germany on June, 6th:
HÖLLENFAHRT NACH GOLDEN CITY (FUERTE PERDIDO).

To my knowledge it will be the first home-cinema release of this movie worldwide…
It will be released via WGF /Schröder Media and according to the label side contain German and Spanish Dub. Aspect ratio 1:2,35.

1 Like

But no subs it seems which is a shame.

On those low budget releases there are never any subtitels…

No but it is a shame as it makes the inclusion of the Spanish dub seem meaningless unless you speak Spanish :slight_smile: Some German subs would have been nice.

July, 4th. WHITE COMANCHE on dvd in Germany:

It will be released via WGF /Schröder Media and according to the label side contain German and English Dub.

1 Like

Was browsing around and came across this recently announced re-release of A Few Dollars for Django. It didn’t say much on the Amazon page, but I’m hoping it’s Italian and English friendly.

That label, “Great Movies” though. I’m not sure they are all that great :slight_smile: They have previously released the same movie in a Django and Sartana-collection with only the German dub and don’t really expect this one to have better specs:

https://ssl.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=21651&vid=426996

I have received information directly from the label that the release of FUERTE PERDIDO will contain English Subtitels.
They will put two versions on the dvd:
German (cut) Version, about 70 Min. PAL in Original apect ratio 2,35:1. German langauage only
Spanish (uncut) Version about 88 Min. PAL in aspect Ratio 2,10:1. Spanish language with English Subs

2 Likes

That is fantastic :slight_smile: And very unexpected. Thanks for the info!!

Quick help everyone please: what’s missing, what’s wrong, we need to update… :slight_smile:

Thanks for helping out

Ready for 2020?

Chingachgook, der Sohn des Uncas (“Chingachgook, the son of Uncas,” original title: Uncas, el fin de una raza, literally “Uncas, the end of a race,” directed by Mateo Cano, 1965) – another horrible DVD release from the company with no name. This time, they even managed to fuck up their self-made title: Uncas is, of course, not Chingachgook’s father but his son (the character Uncas who appears in the movie, that is. “Uncas” being something like a patronymic in Chingachgook’s family: “[…] your friend Chingachgook, as you call him—what is the English of his Indian name?” – “Big Sarpent—so called for his wisdom and cunning, Uncas is his ra’al name—all his family being called Uncas until they get a title that has been ’arned by deeds.” James Fenimore Cooper, The Deerslayer, chapter 8).

Contrary to what the back cover says, there’s no English audio, image-quality’s lousy. The only good thing about this piece of crap is Alarico Gattia’s great cover illustration, lifted from his 1976 comic-book adaptation of Cooper’s classic novel The Last of the Mohicans (L’ultimo dei Mohicani, Epipress, Milan). I’m sure those no-name DVD dudes asked for Gattia’s permission to use his artwork (they erased his signature, to the left of Natty Bumppo’s thigh).

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing the artist’s name. I have one beat up old issue of History of the Far West with art by him, and it’s not nearly as detailed as this. The hatching on this reminds me of Sergio Toppi in all the best ways.

Yes, Sergio Toppi’s art is really unique. He’s one of the great Italian comic-book artists, along with Dino Battaglia, Hugo Pratt and Attilio Micheluzzi. His storytelling skills, however, didn’t quite measure up to the stylistic finesse of his drawings and paintings.

1 Like

Love all of those artists. I’m also a big fan of Alberto Breccia, Ivo Milazzo, Sergio Zaniboni, Giancarlo Alessandrini, and Vittorio Giardino, and would put them in that pantheon as well. There are some others, like Rodolfo Torti, Pasquale Frisenda, Giovanni Benvenuti, Giorgio Trevisan, that I would love to know more about, but their work is harder to come by in the U.S.

Somewhere here, I have a collection of breathtaking paper western figures (cowboys, gunfighters, cavalry soldiers, American Indians, etc.) by Sergio Toppi. I need to figure out where I’ve put those! Anyway, sorry to derail the thread!

1 Like

German Big Ben Movies is releasing Una signora dell’ovest on dvd April 3th. Apparently only includes the German dub though. Not a spaghetti western per se but it’s Italian :slight_smile:

https://ssl.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung_vorab&fid=244806&vid=102831