Durango Is Coming, Pay or Die / Arriva Durango … paga o muori (Roberto Bianchi Montero, 1971)

Database page: Arriva Durango, paga o muori - The Spaghetti Western Database

Had seen it before and didn’t have good memories of it, but saw it in Italian this time, and this made quite a difference. José Torres’ flamboyant performance and his excellent combination of Italian and Spanish gives the film a lift. However it remains a modest affair, and no soundtrack will ever be able to overcome muscle man Brad Harris, who’s only acting talent seems to be walking (slowly!) in the direction the director indicated

Some good action, quite violent for a film made after the devastating entrance of the Trinity brothers
On cinemageddon it is said that some of the material was also used in two other SWs with Harris: Wanted Sabata and Django Adios.

I will write a full review in the course of next week

Film Page: I did not spot Erika Blank in this one, and she’s not mentioned by Giusti

Definitely Wanted Sabata, I recognised some of the screen shots.

Doesn’t surprise me. The film already gave me the odd feeling that it was compiled of material that didn’t really match: scenes in the street with many people, followed by a scene in the same street with no people at all, a villain who has only two henchmen in most scenes, but an entire army in another etc. The story also seems a little artificial, a little far-fetched. If I had to make up a story on the base of a series of available scenes, I’d come up with something like this. Apparently they shot a lot of material and compiled three movies with it. Those Italians! I also had the strange feeling that the film (or the films) were made at a much earlier date; often the feel is closer to some of the early spaghettis; The use of muscle man Harris (more appropriate for a Hercules mocvie) and the use of a grotto complex, often used for peplum movies, could also indicate an earlier date. But so far I haven’t found any conclusive evidence on this, so maybe this is all coincidence

A wonder that the film isn’t a complete failure, and it isn’t, there are even some nice touches, the director knew how to film an action scene, for instance

This can’t be right, because production company’s original plan was to make three Sartana films starring Brad Harris but for whatever reason that plan was scratched and they made two Durango films and one Sabata film instead. I don’t understand the decision to make two more films with Durango character since Shotgun wasn’t a big success to begin with… Sabata rip-off at least made some sense. Maybe the production company realized later that “Durango” wasn’t a good idea since for foreign markets both Durango fillms were renamed Django. Arriva Durango: paga o muori was named Here’s Django… Pay or Die!! while Seminò la morte… lo chiamacano il castio di Dio became Django… Adios.

Maybe the peplum influences are there because Brad Harris had his biggest success in that genre and these 3 films were targeted for his fans? Also, Roberto Mauri, who directed the other two, is/was a good friend of Harris and they had made some films together already, including peplum The Invincible Brothers Maciste.

This film is the most boring of the three even though the story makes more sense than in Django… Adios, which is more like re-edited version of this film with new dubbing and some new footage. Cinematography and constumes make this look like a pre-Leone production, just with more violence. Music is poor, Harris looks bored. Very uninspiring film.

[quote=“Silver Wolf, post:4, topic:2276”]This can’t be right, because production company’s original plan was to make three Sartana films starring Brad Harris but for whatever reason that plan was scratched and they made two Durango films and one Sabata film instead.

This film is the most boring of the three even though the story makes more sense than in Django… Adios, which is more like re-edited version of this film with new dubbing and some new footage. Cinematography and constumes make this look like a pre-Leone production, just with more violence. Music is poor, Harris looks bored. Very uninspiring film.[/quote]

3 Sabata films: read that too, so you’re right on this

Cinematography, costumes: along with the grotto complex this apparently gave me the idea that the film was shot much earlier. Pre-Leone, as you say.

Haven’t seen the other too, as far as I remember (in this genre films and titles easily get mixed up), but thought this one wasn’t as bad as I remembered. But you’re right, they did not seem to be very inspired while making it.

The review has arrived:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Durango_is_coming,_pay_or_die_Review

There’s also a new synopsys for the film’s page:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Arriva_Durango,_paga_o_muori

Enjoy (or die)

Nice review Scherp!

I prefer to enjoy it. The review tops the film clearly.

I have watched it a few years ago in an Italian version. I thought I understood the film without understanding a single word. OK movie.

Yes, nice review. :wink:
I thought about it, the French DVD to buy. I Think me again.
But other films anyway come first.
Pre-Leone is always bad. 8)

The amount of bad language surprised me in this one, as was just not expecting it. And of course bad language does not offend me. Probably the lowest budget Spaghetti I have viewed with the highest amount of bad language in.
Brad Harris is of course wooden as ever, but get used to this sort of thing with the films I view. As someone already pointed out Harris must have been bored. He seems to walk and act a little like an old man with his body movements in the first part of the film. Maybe he just wanted to go to the toilet or something. Film entertained me though.

Perhaps it should have been called "Durango is Coming, Brad Harris Needs to Go! :slight_smile:

Never thought of that…good one Phil :smiley: .

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:10, topic:2276”]Maybe he just wanted to go to the toilet or something.[/quote]haha!

I saw the movie yesterday in a beautiful version.
Good and interesting movie.

Of course you can see the small budget. But there are other films also.
And of course the movie has no great story. But the movie has entertained me well.

But maybe I was just fascinated by the great picture quality. These French versions of SNC / M6 are terrific. Absolutely terrific. Beautifully restored. Beautiful colors.
And with useful subtitles. :wink:

Viva SNC / M6 !!!

My rating for the film 6 / 10. My rating for this version 10/10. 8)

Just watch this one. Low average stuff. José Torres is the only one who really knows how to act in this whole cast. “Cabron de un cabron” he says, great line!
Scherpschutter is right about Lallo Gori’s soundtrack, it is the same used in a bunch of Fidani’s movies…

[quote=“p.pereira, post:15, topic:2276”]Just watch this one. Low average stuff. José Torres is the only one who really knows how to act in this whole cast. “Cabron de un cabron” he says, great line!
Scherpschutter is right about Lallo Gori’s soundtrack, it is the same used in a bunch of Fidani’s movies…[/quote]

Also I’d like to add that Mr. Brad didn’t know how to climb a horse. Really weird horse ridding.

Fuck

Your quoting yourself men

it’s like like… ;D ;D

[quote=“El Topo, post:17, topic:2276”]Fuck

Your quoting yourself men

it’s like like… ;D ;D[/quote]

Yes. Forgot to mention that extremely relevant fact, needed to add it!
This is my very first Brad Harris movie… so till now… in my opinion: he sucks!

Watched this just now - agree with the general concensus… so a quick qualative summary…

Best bits - opening music, the barroom blonde :-* , Ferguson’s jacket (which had more presence than his acting), classy hearse, Durango’s sawn-off shooter - but by far and away the presence of Jose Torres as Tuerto the fiesty foul-mouthed (I was shocked :o as well Ennioo), charismatic Milian/Cuchillo-stylee cheeky Mexican (no knives tho’ - but a sneaky snake 8) ).

Middleing bits - the iffy Durango muscle-bound acting, likewise the baddy Ferguson and his henchmen (particularly the one with the comb-over), the music for the horsy-riding bits which were certainly a throwback to Fidani territory.

Worst - the non-Almerian landscape, and Durango’s shoddy dress sense :stuck_out_tongue: (nothing suave, pallbearerish, or dark and dangerous here I’m afraid.

Thankfully, a magnificent print of this enhanced the viewing - I had the Italian (rather than French) lingo on with the subs. So, an enjoyable outing overall, but without the appearance of Torres and a bottle of wine (for a change), this would have been a far worse experience.

Middle for diddle then - half marks…

Had this on the pile for a couple of years now so thought it time to give it a whirl.

As said above by others, it is a mainly uninspired effort but I’ve seen much worse and Torres’ performance was a fine one and added some value. A kind of Tuco/Cuchillo mash up but he pulls it of well I thought. Harris is no great shakes as an actor of course but I have grown to like him due to his Jo Walker films so am happy to watch him in anything now although he is not at his best in westerns I think. The SNC picture quality helped it too. I’m not used to seeing a low budget 70s effort like this in such a nice presentation and it was almost off putting at first but did genuinely add to my enjoyment as it progressed.

So, not brilliant but quite watchable and I enjoyed it well enough.