Duel in the Eclipse / Réquiem para el gringo (José Luis Merino, 1968)

I meant Colosseo, but that’s weird. Their titles have all been English friendly too.

Bad news guys.The disc won’t have English audio nor subs.
It seems the Italian owner of the rights did not allow it, actually didn’t wanted to allow the Italian audio at first either. Which is strange. They should be glad that someone releases such an unknown film at all.

That sucks, at least my bootleg copy of this is of excellent quality.

Very strange when certain individuals do not want people to see films.

That’s disappointing and bizarre. Enjoy my German and thankfully Italian speaking amigos!

This one is uncut I think and with English audio.

Coming from a Spanish master hand slicing and squib in the final gunfight are intact but there’s chaste version of the bathtub scene.

I rarely find a spaghetti these days that I like after seeing about 100 but for some reason I found this one I’d always wanted to see on YouTube so I decided to watch it.

I thought it was very good. It’s a contender for my top ten! So relentlessly mean and bleak! Jaguar Man must be the most ruthless hero of all. If it was a bit more assuredly directed it would have been out and out classic. I also find Jeffries a little wooden and woodenly dubbed.

Shame about that Blu Ray not having English options.

Nice to see you around!

Now you have talked me into ordering the UNCUT Colosseo BR/DVD after all …

Havent had a chance to comment on this, so here it goes. A somewhat simply revenge story, that’s a bit slow, full of tension, and shows little remorse for the viewer. Our hero ( played by Lang Jeffries) is familiar with astronomy and is hell bent on avenging his brother’s death. The film features a ton of cool costumes/ outfits. My favorite scene had to be where Lang (The Jaguar Man) tells the man to leave Nina alone. Also, the flashbacks scene’s are great, as is the final shoot out. The lovely Marisa Paredes, does an excellent job as Nina. Also, the soundtrack is catchy, and the title sequence has to be one of the best. Not sure where to rank this one, maybe just outside of my top 20.

1 Like

At the beginning of the film, Porfirio Carranza and his bunch are about to cross the border between Mexico and the United States and enter California. Carranza feels that his gang members have become too numerous and therefore too easy to track for the pursuing soldiers. So they have to split into several groups and enter California in small units. They are supposed to meet fra quindici giorni (in fourteen days) at the fattoria (farm) Ramírez. As they ride on, a small crate, attached to the back of one of their horses, drops to the ground. Strangely, no one seems to notice the lost case.

Even stranger, the following shots show the film’s portentous protagonist, Ross Logan, riding by that crate without taking the slightest notice of it. Tezcatlipoca is still exhausted after trying to swallow the sun.

The first of many enigmatic occurrences in this – even by genre standards – outlandish Spaghetti Western, which throws religious mythology and iconography, seasoned with a pinch of morality play and Gothic horror, into an otherwise ordinary revenge stew p(l)ot. Its screenplay was written by the no less enigmatic María del Carmen Martínez Román (Italian credits: M.C. MARTINEZ ROMAN). Does anybody have any information on her? @JonathanCorbett, maybe? I suspect the name was used as an omnibus pseudonym. (Warning! Straining your ears too much could also strain your neck! – Avviso! Se allunghi troppo le orecchie ti si può allungare anche il collo!)

So, is the Sinister Cinema DVD of this any good?

I don’t think it’s very good for the price. I’ll post some screen shots for you.

1 Like

It seems to be forthcoming from RetroVision on blu-ray so that would probably be a better bet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! Is its runtime really 90 minutes? I noticed the version on YouTube is longer than that.

Seems promising, I was impressed by their version of Django The Bastard :slight_smile:

Can’t wait for the Blu-ray!

This one just happened to be on top of my watch pile. Not viewed this one for a while, and it was nice to re visit this one again. Great opening theme to this one in a nice and stylish film, which does seem to get better each viewing. Interesting characters that flesh out a story of getting even. Viewed a fandub of the very nice German Blu Ray which runs around 98 mins and 9 seconds, not that I was counting of course :grin: