Duel in the Eclipse / Réquiem para el gringo (José Luis Merino, 1968)

Well I think this one just weaseled its way into my top 20. I especially liked the use of flashbacks at the end.

Just viewed the “sinister cinema” disc for the second time.
The Carranza gang take over a hacienda, and terrorize anyone who crosses paths with them. None of Carranzas gang is kind hearted, even having on of their victims hung at the entrance of the ranch with a sign that states something like " this is what happens to those who get to nosey around here." one day they kill brother of Ross Logan, a mysterious man who is rumored to have “extradionary powers.” Ross also comes to aid of Nina one of the peasant girls, and he realizes that the Carranza gang must dealt with once and for all. Lang Jefferies pulls of the lead role pretty well, a good, complex film, maybe with a tad of experimentation ( I can’t think of any other western where the lead character is connected to a God). Sanchez seemed so-so and Alma, Ted, and Toms characters were well acted, but nothing spectacular. All three flashback scenes were fantastic and the picture quality and audio are pretty good. The film makes it as a A-.

Just watched this movie again the other night.
Enjoyable movie - the leopard poncho is a bit strange. I like Gringo’s layback style when up against the Carranza gang.

Sancho is slobbering over the beautiful Femi Benussi who only wants his jewellery - this reminds of the Return of the Jedi scene with Jabba the Hutt & Princess Leia.

1 Like

It’s always put me right off … that and the Aldo Sambrell wig - The music is fantastic though :smile:

2 Likes

Lavagnino’s scores for Requiem per un Gringo and Oggi a me… domani a te! are amongst the most distinctive and the best non Morriconesque soundtracks of the genre. If Wild East puts out a proper blu-ray release, I’m definitely gonna grab it.

2 Likes

The Colosseo Film BD release looks pretty good … but no English track or sub :disappointed:

1 Like

It actually doesn’t look that good. All the grain has been filtered away as far as I remember resulting in a smooth featureless feature.

Crossing fingers that Wild East doesn’t just end up with the same.

Grain is love, grain is life

Remove the grain and you’re left with wax figures for characters.

There is an English fan dubbed of this somewhere…:wink:

So there is … ‘somewhere’ … good old somewhere :rofl:

I fandubbed the German blu ray and it took me many hours of painful work but I’m glag I did it :slight_smile:

Duel in the Eclipse only had crappy looking releases in the past so when I saw this huge upgrade… it was surely worth it.

I don’t really feel like doing fandub anymore…. but I guess there’s always a few exceptions.

1 Like

There is. Just watched it.

Réquiem para el Gringo (aka Duel in the Eclipse) (1968) - YouTube

On the trail of Fernando Sancho performances.

1 Like

Ewan McGregor is just so happy being Ewan McGregor ! … he’s got that fake sincerity down pat :roll_eyes:

1 Like

He’s laughing at the leopard scarf while secretly he wants one so bad, but he doesn’t have the security of Johnny Depp to pull it off

2 Likes

Just watched it for the first time at Youtube after having studied and got inspired of the comments on this forum thread.
I found the ending shootout maybe a bit too unbelievable, but on the other hand he was a scientist who was supposed to be able to predict a solar eclipse. Also the flashback with actor Aldo Sambrell was a bit too unbelievable. They were riding in Tabernas Desierto and it can´t be THAT EASY to perform such tricks even for a scientist :slight_smile:
The music and the pistolero in black and maybe more things gave it a certain ressemblance to Django Kill, If You Live Shoot which I rank very high (tie for 5th-8th) . Overall I like the mood of the film. In that respect I also find it comparable to Anda Muchacho Spara and The Forgotten Pistolero which I rank as ties for 16th-20th place of my Top 20 SW.
Maybe I will rank Requiem For A Gringo around 20th-25th after another view or two, hopefully after having been able to buy an uncut English speaking DVD or Bluray.

The German Blu Ray release of this film was one of the earliest titles I got after getting a region free Blu Ray player and an International card for overseas purchases. That it was region free was a bonus.

I thought the hero’s use of astrology against the bad guys was well done actually, and brought a mystical, otherworldly flavor to it. I found too that the Italian language wasn’t difficult to follow, and that the characters’ intentions came out clearer. And having Fernando Sancho play a brute of a man who in fact can’t hold a six shooter pistol was quite daring and different for both the screenwriters and director. Yes, how the main henchmen met their ends and the final shoot-out is a little on the far-fetched side, but done so well with such realism that it doesn’t ruin the action or feel of the film at all, and if anything, enhances it. An 8/10 for sure, especially a lesser known title.

Now I have the Wild East bluray and the music before in play mode is really great, nearly worth the price of the disc. It lasts 2 min 15 sec. ANGELO FRANCESCO LAVAGNINO - "Requiem per un Gringo" (1968) - YouTube

And after having seen it the first time in Blueray it grows somewhat further.
The last scene with a horizont silhouette of the hero and a following lady by the way might have been inspired by the corresponding scene in Bergman’s The Seventh Seal (Det Sjunde Inseglet) from 1957 (even if that probably wasn´t the first time with such an ending scene).

Does anyone know of a version of this movie were the gun shots doesn’t sound like pea shooters? I have only seen the WE version. The gun shots are diffrent sounding in the trailer…