Duel in the Eclipse / Réquiem para el gringo (José Luis Merino, 1968)

I take my sombrero off to my fellow spaghetti consumers! I wanted to ask would anybody be down for a digital flick trade? I’m desperately searching for an uncut version of Duel In The Eclipse. The only version I was able to track down is drastically cut and has the original language (Spanish, no subtitles). Me no hablo espanol so watching it is pointless. :frowning:
Digital flick trade anybody?

You can buy it by ebay. Not a widescreen, bootleg, but it’s an uncut release with English audio and nice quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REQUIEM-FOR-A-GRINGO-DUEL-IN-THE-ECLIPSE-SPAGHETTI-WESTERN-1968-DVD-/251255623234?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item3a80008e42

The seller is very reliable too.

Just saw this today. What an excellent film! Everything that I want from my Spags. Everything. Revenge via an implacable, almost supernatural agent of death. Four (FOUR!) stand-out, super-colourful bad guys: A dandy, a suede-n-bangles Jesus-y one, an all-in-black one, and a tubby Mexican boss. All together, in one film! It’s like the Batman movie from 1966, when they had him fighting Joker, Penguin, Catwoman AND The Riddler. Geek overload, right? Super-hot women! An eclipse! Well, that’s probably not a dealbreaker, that one, but still - an eclipse! A leopardskin poncho that looked suspiciously like a velveteen bit of leopard-print fabric out of Miss Selfridge, but who cares? Leopardskin (print)! The fates of most of the principal bad guys told in backstory! It was like something Quentin Tarantino would do. The only downer of it was that the version I saw (HERE[url]- YouTube) must’ve run into some copyright difficulties with the soundtrack because a good couple of sections of the movie that would’ve had the score playing over them were muted out. Still, a minor quibble, and hardly the film’s fault.

Brilliant stuff.

1 Like

Top 20?

Most assuredly sir, but having only just yesterday lodged my updated list with your good self I shall refrain from another official chart change until sometime in November, I think. :slight_smile:

I watched this and also Kobayashi’s Harakiri afterwards.

Requiem for a Gringo isn’t really a remake of Harakiri but the scene where hero asks to fight against Carrancho’s best men and then tells what happened to them is clearly copied from it. In Harakiri he also took “souvenirs” from the men but there’s no eclipse in Harakiri so that’s a really unique invention in Requiem. Broken gun given to Dan Ross seems like a reference to Harakiri too.

I really like Lavagnino’s score for the film.

1 Like

I don`t know if it had been posted somewhere else here:
Colosseo will release this movie in Germany on dvd and blu ray soon :slight_smile:
More information will follow…

Good news. What’s the policy with english options on their releases? Stranger films have english audio but how about others? Is the info on db correct?

I’d love to have a good DVD release of this fine movie. So far i have several versions (torrents, You Tube uploads, etc.) but none of them is really satisfying.

According to Colosseo the release will contain original italian movie length with German, English and Italian audio and at least German full movie subtitels.
But is not anounced officially…so we need to keep fingers crossed :wink:

Their One After Another disc has English audio too.

Thats good to know.

Last seen in 2008… could this live up to past comments then?.. “Love it. Fantastic music to boot!” and a later comment refering to Nina’s “transparent gossamer thin blouse and pantaloons, clinging as they are to her creamy-white breasts and pert buttocks”… :o

What else does it have then - besides good music and womanly creaminess?

Well - a man’s time is forfeit for a swapped pocket watch; a woman strips to the thunderclaps of a dry storm; a bejewelled Alma (Femi Benussi), and her infidelities, are undone by an emerald…
Carranza (Sancho) is losing his grip on his men - and on reality - as everybody is getting spooked by the ‘Jaguar-man’. Brave Charley becomes kitten-cowardly; black-clad Corbin gets a dust-storm summoned for his duel and demise, and two-faced Tom interrupts his own funeral.

All not-so-jolly good stuff with weirdness and superstitiousness a-plenty, but hung together on a traditional one-after-another revenge format. Truly a unique take on the genre - as close as you’d get to a spooketti western! :stuck_out_tongue:
4 and a bit stars - plus a lucky rabbit’s foot and a “good morning Captain” just to be on the safe side 8) Still a goodie!

So glad this finally getting a dvd release. Now we just need releases of Starblack and Lets Go and Kill Sartana! ;D

I don’t think it’s a masterpiece, but yes, it’s a unique take on the genre, like for instance Django the Bastard or Django Kill ! (Se sei vivo … spara!)

there are a few more, but I think these three score the highest points on originality

Starblack is still “on hold” at Colosseo.
German dub (which is a requirement for release in Germany) was found but the “owner” seems not be willing to cooperate :frowning:
But the door is not closed yet…

Almost release time, any updates on whether this will have English audio or not? Conflicting info on various sites.

It should have English, all of Explosive’s releases are in English and there is an English soundtrack available for it.

But it’s from Colosseo Film. And the back cover states only Italian and German audio and German subtitles.

Well that’s a load of old bumhole, then. :frowning: