Duel in the Eclipse / Réquiem para el gringo (José Luis Merino, 1968)

I’m still of the opinion that Requiem is a good/interesting SW, but not on Sentenza di morte level: try to watch them one after the other… :wink:

I have watched both 3 times, so I’m at the moment pretty sure about my opinion.

But I know what you mean

Prefer Death Sentence, like the structure of the story more. But this one and Duel In The Eclipse are above average.

I definitely prefer REQUIEM PER UN GRINGO over DEATH SENTENCE.
However, I really like DEATH SENTENCE, too.

1 Like

I love Death Sentence, it is on my top 15 (very strange movie BTW). This was probably the most stylish and distinctive spaghetti for me but I can see why some people do not like it.
I have to see Requiem para el gringo: mystical subtext, besides this extremely slow pace - that’s what I like… :smiley:
Now I’m sure I have to watch this… and thanks for your opinions, amigos!

I should be getting Duel in the Eclipse soon. ;D As for Death Sentence, i have this one and i really like it.

Are you buying this rarity by cultcine or by amazon.com? There is allegedly a good version of this one on amazon.com, released by sinister cinema but unfortunately slightly cut… :cry:

I’m getting it from e-bay, won the bidding for $10.50. It said uncut, took a chance, will see. I wouldn’t get anything from sinister, it’s up to you amigo.

Then I’ll try to buy it on cultcine.com.
BTW, if anyone can speak Italian, here is a very nice review of this movie in Italian (Actually, I’m learning this language and if there is any chance to improve my skills, I read reviews of spaghettis in Italian). :wink:
http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/requiem_gringo.htm

Oh joy!!!, finally, finally got this yesterday in the mail and watched it today. Glad to say that i really enjoyed this one, better than i expected. I didn’t feel it was strange or awkardly made, just different witch i liked. Lang Jeffries was good enough in his role, got love his leopard skin poncho. 7/10

I’m looking forward to it (it seems it’s great movie)… I cannot wait any longer… :’(

So Handcuffs68 is now a guest :stuck_out_tongue: .

what happened to his account? another haunting thread…

I went by the name hancuffs, but wanted to change to a new name. I made a mistake and deleted the account, stupid me! Well, now i go with the name chameleonhttp://picturepush.com/public/7111635 confusing, yeah! i’m confused :o

No it’s not haunted, amigo :wink:

Ah right :wink: .

okay then ;), but on this forum one never knows :slight_smile:

Watched this one again yesterday.
The film has on a glance looks like typical revenge western: a man avenges his brother, who gets killed during a hacienda robbery. He chases the men responsible for it and kills them one after another. Fortunately it has many supernatural elements that I like and make this film something completely different.
Already structure is something extraordinary. The revenge tail is told in quite mysterious way, partly by effectively shown flashbacks. Without doubt the director uses Seppuku’s script. There are little differences between both movies: the order of executions is different and in Kobayashi’s masterpiece there is no eclipse. Even though the story of Merino’s film is roughly based on Harakiri, the atmosphere particularly during the killings of Ted Corbin and Tom Leather reminds more an another movie of this Japanese director: Kwaidan, which actually is a film about ghosts. In fact I would call Requiem para el gringo a strange mixture of Kwaidan and Seppuku. Anyway everything together works perfectly, leaving one-of-a-kind experience.
I had low expectations for Merino’s direction, but I was really surprised how it was well-filmed. The combination of low-angled and entracing camera, sun-bleached photography, rapid zooms looks really good and increases an dream-like feeling, particularly the duel Jeffries versus Sancho is impressive and psychedelic.

The actors are very good. Aldo Sanbrell is funny as that strange villain and somehow silly and the same time, but nevertheless his appearance is great here. Fernando Sancho is good, probably one of the best his roles in spaghettis, but I guess he’s less impressive than the other bad guys. Ruben Rojo was astonishingly good, he plays great a cynical and ruthless Leather, but Carlo Gaddi is the one who steals the show as a dressed in black gunman. Besides Femi Benussi and stunning Marisa Paredes adds to the enjoyment. Truly impressive cast.
The soundtrack by Angelo Francesco Lavagnino is simply fantastic and remains one of my favorites pieces of music from spaghettis among the Morricone’s wonderful scores. Every tune is great and increases the psychedelic feeling.

Overall great stuff and one of the most weird westerns I’ve seen. Very good.
8.6/10

1 Like

[quote=“Mickey13, post:137, topic:866”]Overall great stuff and one of the most weird westerns I’ve seen. Very good.
8.6/10[/quote]

i almost forgot to breath during the movie :), unique SW

I think “Requiem For A Gringo” is the alternate title for this one…never seen it, not released legit yet that I know of…maybe will turn up on the next cheap box set…

Precisely. The duel between Corbin and Jaguar God (I think I can call him so) is my favorite moment in this little gem.