Duel in the Eclipse / Réquiem para el gringo (José Luis Merino, 1968)

I’ve seen the film on Monday. And I found him great. The Jaguar Man character is very unusual. The entire film is very unusual. Ok, the eclipse is not like in reality. But the film has so much mystique. The music increased this impression.
It was the first film with Lang Jeffries, whom I have seen. And he did a good job. And the always good Fernando Sancho.

And yes, I agree to Scherpschutter, he feels very Spanish-like. But this is not a disadvantage.

I would like to see him again. But he could come in my Top20.

I watched it again yesterday.
Absolutely great.
Very dark. Great atmosphere, without much compromise.
Recommended for all fans of “hardcore Spaghetti Western” *.
My rating 9 / 10. And yes, from now in my top 20

• Definition “Hardcore Spaghetti Western”:
    A Spaghetti Western with no (or few) elements of comedy, dark atmosphere. A film in which the protagonists pursue only selfish aims and reasons have low motive (for example, revenge or greed for money). A film without any love stories or romances. The hero is different only in its callousness and coolness of the others. And in the end remains a pile of corpses and the anti-hero rides away alone.

For me this is a Spaghetti Western. And that’s my definition from a Hardcore Spaghetti Western or purist Spaghetti Western. How to call now is not important. 8)

1 Like

Or the hero dies himself!

Absolutely !

This pretty much sums it up for me.

I love Carlo Gaddi’s outfit, the way bad guys should look in SW. The similarities to Dead Men Ride are not revealed until the last minutes and apart from that some things were very unclear to me, the story in DMR is told much better IMO.
The final scene during the eclipse lacks atmosphere and I don’t understand what difference it would make if the revenge wasn’t taken on that particular day. It seemed like a common day to take your revenge.
Anyway, it’s an interesting and serious no-bullshit SW, but I wasn’t particurarly fascinated by Merino’s direction and the plot was weak too. Lavagnino’s score was amazing at the beginning, but not that memorable towards the end.

Ion, is in your version the duel in the eclipse at the end of the film (like in the German version), or does it start after about 60 min and including several flashbacks?

Well, the eclipse is used by the hero to create an apocalyptic feeling, and by this to disarray his foes and to blind them, and so have an advantage in the fight and he is able to kill them all single handed. (Of course there are SW heroes in other SWs who don’t need any advantage to kill 20 or 30 enemies with one or two shots)

I’m a bit confused with your question, the eclipse in the version I saw (greek key video tape) is at the end of the film after Jeffreys explains to Sancho how he killed those three through three flashbacks.
I’m confused because I see in the database that the german version is cut 15 minutes, greek version has a running time of 92-93 minutes, something’s cut there too obviously, however there are flashbacks AND the eclipse is at the end in the version I saw

The eclipse trick didn’t really convince me. It wasn’t shot very well, the lighting was inappropriate for the situation and the effects non-existant. Besides, they weren’t that many and the best of them were already dead. No apocalypse was needed to terminate them :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention one particurarly ‘inspired’ scene where Jeffreys has stopped shooting and all the bad guys ahave dropped dead but then a shot is heard as we see him and his gun, but he clearly hasn’t pulled the trigger nor a spark is seen from the barrel, just the sound of a shot. It’s no Fidani, but it’s a quite trashy moment anyhow!

Oh yes, sorry, the eclipse is of course at the end, but the scene which leads to the duel in the eclipse starts at about 60 min, just like in your version.

The scenes of the eclipse could indeed have been better made, but I think here you see the limitations of a small budget, just like in And God Said to Cain, which would have benefited from scenes showing the sand storm coming.
Still for me the final scene works very well and the adding of the eclipse makes it special amongst the SWs. Despite technical limitations it is a powerful scene. And it makes sense in connection with the characterization of Jeffreys as a man in league with the elements.

My only complaint is that Fernando Sancho can’t carry the role of the gang boss. Here they should have chosen an actor with more substance and charisma. Like Claudio Camaso or Frank Wolff.

Yeah, Sancho looks tired in this one. It’s his typical role, but we’ve all seen him performing better.

Duel in the Eclipse has a lot going for it, but in the end it’s flaws are too numerous and important to ignore (kinda like Vengeance). I also agree that the acting is lackluster, it’s actually the first time I’m disappointed with a performance by Aldo Sambrell. And I’m less bothered by the extremely slow pace than how awkward it was at times (thinking about some editing and camera work, here). Wish I liked it more.

What saves this movie for me was the entire second half. The first half was very boring and wasn’t going anywhere. Felt too much like some oddball day time soap.

I didn’t particularly dislike the first half, I thought that the scenes that focused on the younger brother were very good, but the highlight of the film is roughly the last 30 minutes, that’s for sure. But even so, I would have preferred if they showed the killings in chronological order, this way the climax would have been quicker (he would only need to show his proofs since we already know what happens) and the pace would have been better. The fact that it’s not told chronologically, frankly doesn’t add anything, hell, it could have been a suspenseful scene if it wasn’t so long. Also the flaws that bugged me are present in both parts (the character of Sambrell and Gaddi are so campy it’s detrimental to the mood, for example).

Also, can somebody tell me what Nina was thinking when she decided to take a bath in the scene where Ted was following her?

In the German version the scenes are in the chronological order, but when I viewed the English version I thought it was much better having it all as sort of a very long final duel. It builds up to the apocalyptic feeling of the eclipse.

I had no problems with Gaddi and Sambrell. Only Sancho is miscast.

Apart from that I only wished it would have had a bigger budget.

I understand your point, but I don’t think that a shorter final duel would have really hurt the atmosphere of the scene. And yeah, Sancho isn’t a good choice when you want a little substance in your character. Carranza with his authority being contested and the fact that he had lost his edge was a character that if played well, would have been a lot more memorable than your usual Mexican bandit.

Gave this one another view via the Cultcine dvd r this time. Atmosphere is the element that sticks with me re this one. The music helps alot with the build up of things. And how cool is it planning a gun battle for when their is an eclipse. Still not sure on the colour scheme of the hero’s poncho though, as keep thinking of Bet Lynch :o . Interesting watching Sancho pretend to be the man he is really not.

not good not bad just boring only the trailer worth it to see :frowning:

This one contains some very interesting ideas and unconventional elements, but in spite of that in my opinion it is a SW of average quality… Paradox worthy of the oddities of the film! :smiley:

Even if Fernando Sancho is certainly not my favourite SW actor I find him quite effective in the role of Porfirio Carranza (I’ve seen the Spanish version), while as regards Aldo Sambrell - penalized by the look - I agree with scherpschutter’s review.

Would love to get this one. How is cultcine’s dvd-r quality and is it uncut?

Thanks in advance, amigos!

The Cultcine dvd r is the best print of the film I have viewed so far and yes it is uncut with the full knife scene intact which is missing from alot of prints.

I agree, Ennioo…CultCine’s is the best version available, so far.
I did notice, though, that their version is likely a matted fullscreen version.
I have always suspected that this film was not shot in widescreen (just like RED SUN)…and CultCine’s version seems to confirm my suspicions.
My old fullscreen version has more to the image at the top and the bottom of the screen than this “widescreen” edition.
But, I am not complaining!
This really is the best version out there, right now.