Duel in the Eclipse / Réquiem para el gringo (José Luis Merino, 1968)

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:60, topic:866”]The plot thickens

Breccio, a reviewer from a french site, who knows this stuff very well, thinks Dan Ross is the Jaguar Man’s younger brother. Since the jaguar man is called Ross Logan, his brother could well be called Dan Ross - Spanish names are formed differently from ours, if I’m not mistaken. Maybe Phil knows this, or anybody else (I think they use the names of grandparents + a third name)[/quote]

The Spanish have two surnames. The first is paternal and the second maternal. So, for example, in the case of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Garcia would be his father’s name and Marquez his mother’s.

Not sure that this actually helps the Ross Logan / Dan Ross connection. To begin with it doesn’t follow the Spanish tradition as it mixes up first names and surnames and secondly the characters are anglos so wouldn’t apply to them anyway. But hey, this is spaghettiland. Anything is possible :smiley:

[quote=“Phil H, post:61, topic:866”]The Spanish have two surnames. The first is paternal and the second maternal. So, for example, in the case of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Garcia would be his father’s name and Marquez his mother’s.

Not sure that this actually helps the Ross Logan / Dan Ross connection. To begin with it doesn’t follow the Spanish tradition as it mixes up first names and surnames and secondly the characters are anglos so wouldn’t apply to them anyway. But hey, this is spaghettiland. Anything is possible :D[/quote]

The names are Anglos, yes, but the background is clearly Spanish. I guess they ‘anglocized’ the original Spanish names from the Spanish version. I don’t know if you’ve seen the movie, but it’s all haciendas, Spanish clothing, Spanish atmosphere.

But you’re right, the name ‘pattern’ is different

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:62, topic:866”]The names are Anglos, yes, but the background is clearly Spanish. I guess they ‘anglocized’ the original Spanish names from the Spanish version. I don’t know if you’ve seen the movie, but it’s all haciendas, Spanish clothing, Spanish atmosphere.

But you’re right, the name ‘pattern’ is different[/quote]

Yes, I have seen the film. It is very hispanic in style, background etc.
I’m intrigued by the whole Glenn Saxson appearance thing now. Think I’ll have to scan my copy and see if I can spot him.

Those brothers were a bit puzzling anyway, as the Jaguar man seems to be an American, and his brother seems clearly to be a Mexican.

The film is situated in Mexico. It starts with Sancho and gang crossing the border.

Just looking through this one now and Jaguar Man’s brother is certainly called Dan but is definitely not played by Saxson. In fact no sign of him at all so far. I’ll keep watching and see if I spot him.

Well I have just been all through it and the only person I could see that resembled Saxson was a bearded henchman of Carranza. I don’t think it was him though. It would seem odd him taking a non speaking role that is basically no more than an extra.

The French reviewer PM’ed me that he is no longer sure Saxson is in it; he thinks he might have picked up a rumour and accepted it

I don’t think he’s in it; in 1968 Saxson was not a complete nobody in euro western land, he had done a few leads and I don’t think they’d use him for such a tiny part

I was a bit puzzled by the brothers too, the one American, the other Mexican; there’s something mysterious about the whole film

If his name is Dan he is probably not a Mexican, but only dressing as one while living there. An early example of culture crossing (or whatever this is called in English).

Boy, the film gets complexer and complexer. :wink:

[quote=“Stanton, post:68, topic:866”]If his name is Dan he is probably not a Mexican, but only dressing as one while living there. An early example of culture crossing (or whatever this is called in English).

Boy, the film gets complexer and complexer. ;)[/quote]

Indeed. I watched it on unday night and planned to write a review the next day …

The review has finally arrived, the writing of it, was one of the most difficult chores I ever fulfilled on this site:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Requiem_for_a_Gringo_Review

Is a kind of Koch Media Review, so with a lot of extras

Note:
Somehow I can’t link to the Film’s Page (Requiem Para El Gringo)

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:70, topic:866”]Note:
Somehow I can’t link to the Film’s Page (Requiem Para El Gringo)[/quote]

A misplaced capital letter. It’s fixed now.
This used to happen to me a lot so I started always copy and pasting from the actual page title to avoid it.

Nice review by the way. This is a film which I have mixed feelings about too. On the whole I like it as it ticks a lot of boxes. But I always have the feeling it doesn’t quite fulfill it’s potential.
A decent DVD release would help me make a more balanced judgement I think.

Is there a Spanish DVD, Scherp?

There is at least no German one, only a VHS copy.

To the film:

I have a more positive position towards the film, which is limited imo mainly by a too small budget. And of course I agree about Fernando Sancho, who is not the best choice for Carranza.

But your review has added several more interesting points about the film’s ideas and about it’s structure. Makes me want to watch it again.

To the questions:

Is the brother actually called Dan Ross in the film? In the scenes I had checked he was only called Dan.

I always assumed that the Logan ranch is also in Mexico. We get no background informations, so there’s no reason not to think so. Both ranches must be very close.
And I think that Carranza didn’t sent the 4 men of the beginning to the Logan ranch. They come across by accident on their way from the US border to the occupied Hacienda.

Spanish DVD: Julio Alberto talks about it in his review:

When he says ‘la calidad del DvD no es muy allá’ I presume he’s talking about a Spanish DVD

VHS: right, I’ll change that

Dan Ross: I thought so, but how can you be sure, talking about this movie? I rewatched it, little by little, bit by bit, checking details, but I’ll watch it again A-Z within a few weeks, after my vacation.

Mexico/California: I don’t know, maybe I misinterpreted the opening scene, Sancho talking about the border, and telling his men how dangerous it would be for them to cross it as a group. I don’t think the ranches are that close: when Logan hears that his brother is paying a visit to the Ramirez ranch, and understands he’s in danger, he doesn’t jump on his horse, sorry: mule, to ride over to his neighbour; when he arrives in the surroundings of the Ramirez ranch, people don’t recognize him, instead they talk about a mysterious man with magical powers. He’s been away for a while, but I’d say people would’ve recognized him if he were a ‘neighbour’. But again: this is one of those mysterious aspects about this movie. I still have the idea there are things escaping me.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:74, topic:866”]Dan Ross: I thought so, but how can you be sure, talking about this movie? I rewatched it, little by little, bit by bit, checking details, but I’ll watch it again A-Z within a few weeks, after my vacation.

Mexico/California: I don’t know, maybe I misinterpreted the opening scene, Sancho talking about the border, and telling his men how dangerous it would be for them to cross it as a group. I don’t think the ranches are that close: when Logan hears that his brother is paying a visit to the Ramirez ranch, and understands he’s in danger, he doesn’t jump on his horse, sorry: mule, to ride over to his neighbour; when he arrives in the surroundings of the Ramirez ranch, people don’t recognize him, instead they talk about a mysterious man with magical powers. He’s been away for a while, but I’d say people would’ve recognized him if he were a ‘neighbour’. But again: this is one of those mysterious aspects about this movie. I still have the idea there are things escaping me.[/quote]

1. I’m not sure. It was a question to you, if he was actually called Dan Ross in the english dub, or if it is only a name from the Database or IMDB.

2. Yes interesting. I was sure the ranch was in Mexico and nearby. But there are really no concrete details. Open for interpretation I think.
    Maybe Logan was for a very long time away.

But it appeared wrong for me in Cemetery without Crosses. Manuel (Hossein) lives in this Ghost Town, which really was nearby and he was a befriended with Ben and Maria, but in the town and on the ranch nobody knows him.

Most likely a simple logical mistake.

I asked Julio Alberto if the DVD he mentioned in his review on 800 spaghetti westerns was an official Spanish DVD; he PM’ed me:

“Si, es un DVD oficial spain, aunque de baja calidad.
Es de “Naimara Producciones” del año 2005.”

Yes, it’s an official Spanish DVD, however of poor quality
It was released by “naimara producciones” in 2005

http://www.priceminister.es/offer/buy/48160168/Requiem-Para-El-Gringo-Video.html

He added an interesting remark in concern to the names of the two brothers:

“Sobre el asunto del nombre, puede ser perfectamente que el hermano del protagonista se llame Dan Ross Logan, siendo Dan su nombre y Ross Logan sus apellidos. Al protagonista de la película se le llama por sus apellidos por una simple cuestión de respecto.”

As far as the names are concerned, it’s perfectly imaginable that the brother of the protagonist is called Dan Ross Logan, Dan being his christian name, and Ross Logan his family names. The film’s protagonist is probably addressed by his family names for the simple reason of respect

Thanks Julio

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:76, topic:866”]He added an interesting remark in concern to the names of the two brothers:

As far as the names are concerned, it’s perfectly imaginable that the brother of the protagonist is called Dan Ross Logan, Dan being his christian name, and Ross Logan his family names. The film’s protagonist is probably addressed by his family names for the simple reason of respect

Thanks Julio[/quote]

Unfortunately I don’t think this works either.
In my version at least, the family servant who welcomes Jaguar man back to his home ranch calls him senor Ross and his brother senor Dan. This would indicate that Ross and Dan are first names. If he was using surnames they would both be senor Ross.

One day … we will find the theory that fits all the facts

If not, we change the facts

In the Spanish version, the servant initial difference between “Señor” Ross, when referring to the protagonist, and “Señorito” Dan, a term other than “Señor”.

“Señorito” is a term that was used in Spain for young people, using the name instead of family name.

Eje:

My name is Julio Alberto + Perez+ Sanchez (julio alberto = Nombre, Perez Sanchez= Apellidos)
Name my father Antonio + Perez+ Rodriguez

If you were a wealthy family and I were a young man of 18 years, I would say “Señorito” Julio and my father “Señor” Perez.

You can switch from one version movie to another, , that used to occur in those times.

Feel unable to explain it better for my poor English language skills. ::slight_smile:

PD:
The odd thing is that the film does not mention the Nombre of the protagonist, only know their Apellidos. The Nombre of his brother Dan.The Apellidos two are Ross Logan.
If not, I can only ask Señor Merino.

PD2: It seems that the film was shot with half Eugenio Martín (El precio de un hombre), but it is a point not clarified.

Indeed, Scherpschutter, congratulations on your review.
I think a very interesting about a great movie.