Duel in the Eclipse / Réquiem para el gringo (José Luis Merino, 1968)

Yes, Angelo Francesco Lavagnino, I like all his scores. Of the films I have seen so far which were scored by him. All remarkable.

Next to the typical Morricone and Nicolai scores, I would choose him and Stelvio Cipriani as my favourite composers.

Just added a german review to the DB, unfortunately on the cut german version.

Does anybody have the uncut / US-version for trading? Stanton pointed out that the uncut version is still more exciting…

I’m still wondering about the different versions. I’ve compared an English dubbed VHS, a Spanish dubbed DVD and an Italian TV version. Here are the differences I noticed:

English: cut for violence. missing: hand slicing, a rare example of squib use in the end shootout (one of the bad guys gets shot and some blood spatters against the wall)

Spanish: cut for nudity. the bathtub scene is clearly zoomed in with the specific purpose of keeping the actress’ breasts and behind (in wet undergarment… who the hell bathes in their undergarment ::slight_smile: ) offscreen. But that’s not all. The entire scene is an alternate take. In the American version the black-clad bad guy has his hands all over her. In the Spanish one, his hands hardly leave her shoulders and neck. She also looks more frightened and a lot more uncomfortable.

The Spanish version had some scenes clearly re-inserted from a different source. These scenes were in 1.66:1 AR, and these were the only parts of this movie I ever saw in the correct AR. Does anybody know of a full version in 1.66? Judging from those few scenes, it really made a difference, as the scene composition was a lot better.

Then there’s the Italian version, which has the nudity but also misses the violence (hand and squib). So it’s probably the same as the English dub.

Hi,

My version is 93 min 57 sek, in English, Fullscreen, and Good+ Quality, and
i hope it´s the uncut version.

Tom,

My English version runs 94’23’’ in NTSC (at 24fps - which is about 90’36’’ in PAL, 25fps). The knife slicing through the hand (glove) is missing at 39’20’’ NTSC. (In the Spanish 25fps version, running 94’10’‘, it’s at 39’04’').

We’re only talking about seconds here, but if you have an English version with the knife slicing intact and a running time of about 94 minutes PAL (25fps) or about 98 minutes NTSC (23.97fps), I guess you should have the complete version. The scene in question is shown at the very end of this Youtube clip [url]- YouTube.

Hi,

Tough my version is 93,57 the knife slicing throuh the hand sceen is missing in my version.
Anybody got the uncut version, please send me a mail: tom-travfoto@tele2.se

Thanks Tom,

Then, maybe I’m lucky, cause my full frame version (unfortunately not open matte as my cut german version) is 94,21 min in Pal (makes 98,something min in cinema or in NTSC).

It’s actually not a slicing, but there’s a hand nailed by a thrown knife on a wooden jamb.

Just read Lordradish’ review of Three Musketeers of the West.

What struck me was that here too there’s apparantly a different bathtub scene, intended for Spanish audiences.

as well as an alternate bath scene (in Spanish), where instead of getting out of the tub nude, Karin Schubert is wearing a corset!

So that’s already nr 2. Are there any more bathtub scenes in westerns? The Spanish probably have different scenes for those too :smiley: Is this a cultural thing? Seems a bit prudish to me. Apparantly these scenes were too much for some countries, back in the late '60s and early '70s.

Maybe this calls for a new thread: alternate bathtub scenes in Spanish versions! ;D

thought it was ok but kind of disapointed with it. not as good as i thought would be. the music was fine. will get round to watch it again for a second opinon but on first viewing thought it average.

Have just seen the english vhs version of this movie :slight_smile: ! Way better than my old 82 min. Sunset-Video tape (Requiem für Django) !

Lang Jeffries looks like Dino Strano without a wig in a few scenes :wink:
At least I thought so…

Watched this one yesterday

Didn’t like it when I saw it in cinema, centuries ago, when the youngsters here where still in the making

One of the most unusual spaghetti westerns ever made, with an atmosphere that is closer to Pasolini than Leone (especially Pasolini’s Gospel according to Matthew) ; it’s probably more interesting for what it’s aiming at than for what it achieves.

One question: Giusti tells me that it was the first western of Glenn Saxson, but I must have overlooked good old Roel Bos. Where is he??

His first western? In 1968??? He made Django Shoots First in 1966 and Good Luck, Gringo in 1966 or 1967.

I don’t remember seeing him in this film either.

[quote=“Silver Wolf, post:52, topic:866”]His first western? In 1968??? He made Django Shoots First in 1966 and Good Luck, Gringo in 1966 or 1967.

I don’t remember seeing him in this film either.[/quote]

It’s a mysterious line indeed “E’ anche il primo western di Glenn Saxson” (= it’s also the first western of Glenn Saxson) The film was released in 1968, was it made earlier? I had the idea that both Sanbrell and Sancho looked rather young in this one. Actually Sanbrell seems a bit more slender here than in Navajo Joe.
Or did Giusti mix up things?
I didn’t spot Saxson anyway

All Spanish sites I consulted list it as a '68 movie, so I don’t know what went into Giusti

I didn’t realize the year of making, it really felt to me like one of those early Spanish attempts (no western town, no Italian director, no Italian costume design)

In fact according to the credit sequence the ‘interiors’ were shot in Milan (a lot of the exteriors were shot in the North of Italy too if I’m not mistaken)
Things get more bizrre by the minute

I also don’t think that Saxon was in it.

In the end, in all of these books which try to cover such a large amount of films, there will always be some of these stupid errors, due to an unsure status of facts, due to simple debility where you begin to make mistakes you wouldn’t have done on another day.

Our data base list him in a role called Dan Ross. Was there a Dan Ross in it?

I’m afraid I’ll have to rewatch the entire movie …
Well, I can think of lousier jobs
I watched by the way a version (cinemageddon) of a little over 94 minutes, without the hand slicing, but with the breasts and cheeks in wet underwear. Aspect ratio 1,46:1 approx. Video quality not great, but very watchable.

The books of Bruckner and Kessler, which are mostly very reliable for these type of questions, don’t have him either.

A strange error, surely nothing else. I will kick him out of the data base entry.
Poor Glenn

If he’s in it (and I don’t think he was), he sure wasn’t playing a character named Dan Ross
According to Giusti Dan Ross is played by Carlo Simoni

I don’t remember who Dan Ross was; according to the Spanish site 800 spaghetti westerns (by our Julio Alberto?) he is:

“Carlo Simoni es Dan Ross, un elegante hombre que mantiene en secreto una relación con la novia de Carranza.” (= Carlo Simoni is Dan Ross, an elegant man who has a secret relation with the fiancée of Carranza)

Maybe the names are different in the Spanish version, but I thought the name of this elegant man wasn’t Dan Ross. Maybe 800 SWs mixes things up; it also says:

“Y Ted Corby (Carlo Gaddi), siempre vestido de negro, siempre dispuesto a matar …” (= And Ted Corby (Carlo Gaddi), always dressed in black, always ready to kill …)

Our database says Carlo Gaddi plays Ted Corby, and so says Giusti. I guess the elegant man is called Ted Corby. I’ll check this later

The plot thickens

Breccio, a reviewer from a french site, who knows this stuff very well, thinks Dan Ross is the Jaguar Man’s younger brother. Since the jaguar man is called Ross Logan, his brother could well be called Dan Ross - Spanish names are formed differently from ours, if I’m not mistaken. Maybe Phil knows this, or anybody else (I think they use the names of grandparents + a third name)

He also says Glenn Saxson is in the movie (according to him you miss him if you don’t pay close attention)

I’ll PM him about this and rewatch the movie to know who is who