Duel in the Eclipse / Réquiem para el gringo (José Luis Merino, 1968)

Just viewed this one.

Moody, violent at times, strange atmosphere and all set to an interesting score by Angelo Francesco Lavagnino provided compelling viewing for me.

I can perhaps understand some people thinking the film is perhaps a bit on the slow side, but if you have seen a few spaghetti westerns I reckon the chances are you are in for a treat with this one.

Thanks to the kind chap who gave me the oppurtunity to see this one in a nice version.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:21, topic:866”]Just viewed this one.

Moody, violent at times, strange atmosphere and all set to an interesting score by Angelo Francesco Lavagnino provided compelling viewing for me.

I can perhaps understand some people thinking the film is perhaps a bit on the slow side, but if you have seen a few spaghetti westerns I reckon the chances are you are in for a treat with this one.

Thanks to the kind chap who gave me the oppurtunity to see this one in a nice version.[/quote]

What nice version exactly ?
I could only trace a fullscreen version that is said to be not very good

Open matte fullscreen is ok, because the original aspect ratio seems to be 1,66:1.

The Rev has a 94 min copy, which he attests good quality.

I will get it from him in the near future, when I have more time. Autumn possibly.

@ Scherpschutter.

Like Stanton has pointed out.

Watched this one yesterday…

Just about sums it up. Superb film. 4/5 from me.

Same here! Great film…when i did my top 20 i found myself wishing it could be a top 30 or something because there were other films i wanted to add and this was one of them/ One of my favourite soundtracks too. (Oh and thanks Ennioo for the upgrade!) :wink:

I have seen now the possibly uncut English version, which is a definite improvement over the german one. Not only that the
german distributor cut out 16 min, he also rearranged great parts of the film by recutting it (and of course the dub has also its flaws). And by these re cutting Requiem para el gringo loses much of its impact.

In the original version the duel in the eclipse lasts for the last 30 min and incorporates 3 longish flashbacks, which are filling out the previous narrative holes. In the German version these scenes are presented in the chronological order.

In the German version it is a good film, in the English version it is an amazing film, which … yes, which could probably crack my top 20. ???

1 Like

Hey, Stanton!
Glad you got to see the better version of this film and that you rate it so highly. This is still a Top ranking SW for me. As I have stated frequently, each time I view it I like it even more!
In fact, after reading everyone’s comments, I think I might just watch it again, this afternoon!

He he, I’m glad myself.

I wished Koch would …

Where can I find the Uncut version? I really enoyed it but my version is badly cut.

Trade it with one of the forum members. Many will have the english version, which is sourced from a VHS tape.

Thanks Stanton. Is there anyone interested in trading?
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

[quote=“Silence, post:32, topic:866”]Thanks Stanton. Is there anyone interested in trading?
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???[/quote]
Sure, you’ve got PM :wink:

Hi and thanks a lot, I don’t have many Sw movies to trade but I could of course pay in money.

EDIT: I do now, this was posted a long time ago.

Oh c’mon, i don’t think it would be fair if i would get any money for making a DVD-R copy. Anyway, i think we should discuss this matter via PM

I believe I mentioned this on the “sw nudity” thread but does anybody know of a sex scene in a bath tub in this flick?

My copy was chopped with a chainsaw. All the gore (the infamous hand slicing scene) and supposed nudity is cut.

Yes, there is a bathtub scene, which also wasn’t part of the german version. It was erotic but if I remember correctly without much nudity.

Here goes again … hopefully I’ll be allowed to upload these now.
The ‘nudity’ is of the wet blouse variety, and this scene - as with the relationship - is crucial to the film.

[Edit - nope … her transparent gossamer thin blouse and pantaloons, clinging as they are to her creamy-white breasts and pert buttocks will have to be imagined … it still won’t allow me to add attachments as it used to … :cry: ]

Well I’m tired of imagining.

Does anybody want to trade with me for an uncut DUEL IN THE ECLIPSE?

I got a butt load of SW they only show on the Italian tele but you’ve got to put up with only Italian language. Sorry.

I didn’t realize I had the uncut version,… I thought this was great, especially the climax where the guy points at the Eclipse… it reminded me of Dead Men Ride as well with all those flashbacks in the duel… also amazing soundtrack.